Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team jeffs4thetide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried on TideFans.com

Joe King Testimony

Not sure if many people remember Joe King. Came to Bama back in 1985 as a offensive lineman. In watching this, we now see the real game he was playing within himself. He openly talks about his addiction and how he turned to crime to support his addiction only to end up shot and nearly dead on the streets of Birmingham. He has now found Christ, and I am glad to see he turned himself around. This video is about 35 minutes or so, but it is well worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAURmhjEJaw

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Big A Re: Joe King Testimony

I am so glad to see that Joe got it turned around.

One of our very own reached out to Joe when he was at the bottom.

May you rest in peace Jerry Smith.

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent video. Thanks for sharing.

Definately worth the time to watch.

I hope Joe has it together.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joe King Testimony

11 years clean and sober is pretty strong. Especially for a crack-head. I hope he continues down that path.
    "Winning isn't everything.
    It's the ONLY thing."
    Vince Lombardi

BamaNation All-SEC Proxigean Tide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The world is definitely a lessor place without Jerry Smith in it.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the bulk of that "sober" time was spent in prison. King has only been out a short time. I'm really praying that he continues the path he's on now. He could do a lot of good for a lot of people.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear he has turned it around, He lost a great deal to his addiction however, He was a lock to make it to the NFL with a body like his, it was a huge loss for Alabama when he didn't pan out.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe never really liked the game. He did it because, being so big, everyone expected him to.

His testimony is heart-wrenching. It makes it easier to understand how his life took the path it did.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Joe can stay straight---I knew Joe and had classes with him back then and I still remember how big he was and how wild he was. Keep it up Joe--Good Luck

BamaNation All-American CrimsonJag's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Joe and I ran the streets, for lack of a better word, together back in my short time playing at the Capstone.

Joe HATED football but he feared his dad too much to tell him he didn't want to play anymore. I think his dad is the only person Joe ever feared.

When Joe and I walked into a restaurant or whatever, the whole place would stop just to get a look at him. He was a freak of nature. He had/has a heart of gold. I wish I could have spent more time with him before I transferred out.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Jag--Maybe I know you as I partied and hung out with a few guys from those years as that was my incoming class of students (1985). Fruhmorgen, Murry Hill, Bobby Humphrey, and some a little older Norbert Dean, Vic Molton, Steve Wilson, Bill Condon, (whose brother was part of the track team at South Alabama with my brother)just to name a few.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonJag's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I was an invited walk-on in the 1986 class along with Pierre Goode, Jeff Dunn, Billy Ray, Gary Hollingsworth, etc.

I was tight with Joe, Anthony Smith, DT and several other players. We owned The Ivory Tusk back in the day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanTraeInGeorgia View Post
    11 years clean and sober is pretty strong. Especially for a crack-head. I hope he continues down that path.
    It's not hard when you've been in prison for 10 1/2 of those eleven years. I have a brother who claimed the same thing. He was clean and sober and proud of it. He was never going to mess with that stuff again, no way, no how. My sister and I went to bat for him and got him paroled, got him a job, and gave him a start. He repaid us by stealing from us. Six months after he got out, he was right back on the instant idiot express.

I hope Mr. King makes it, but it takes more than saying it. I'm sure he means it right now, but right now he's out there testifying and getting attention, which makes it easy. When times get hard, and nobody is paying attention to him, it'll come down to character. Drugs are a hard mistress; and for every success story, there are 10 or more failure stories.
    Rest In Peace, Little Buddy. Pawpaw Loves you.