My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

You Make the Call - Sept. 11

Team Green has the ball on Team White's 20 yd line. Green's QB throws an interception at the 7 yd line. White's player who intercepted the ball runs around and circles into his own end zone. While he is in the end zone, an official blows an inadvertant whistle. What is th ruling?
    Saying ‘I'’m sorry’ is the same as saying ‘I apologize...except at a funeral.”

2. Advertisement
    Suspended

Re: You Make the Call - Sept. 11

Well, since he intercepted at the 7, he is not protected by the momentum rule. He has to bring it out. The play is dead when the official blows the whistle. The question - is it a safety? I'll say yes, but it doesn't seem fair.

Safety...

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

TooCool Re: You Make the Call - Sept. 11

Give them 2
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.
    I support PAWS.

I'm going to say that White gets the ball at their own 7 yard line because that is where the change of possession occurred.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Team White gets to choose between putting the ball in play where it was declared dead (safety), OR replay the down (giving up the interception)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team

I just hope that the officials are parked on Green's side of the field because the White coaches and fans will not be happy with this one!

BamaNation Third Team

Since the inadvertant whistle is blown during the play and team white has possession of the ball at the time the whistle was blown, team white has the option of replaying the down or taking the result of the play when the whistle is blown. So they either can replay the down with team green replaying the down and take the interception away or take the safety and give team green 2 points.

This is true in the NFL.

However, since we are talking about High School, the play has to be re-done without exception.

Suspended

Thinking it through, the team in possession gets the choice of accepting the result of the play at the point of the whistle (safety) or replaying the down (other team in scoring position).

Ouch! That stinks. Neither option helps them. Inadvertent whistle = bad...

BamaNation First Team

Inadvertent whistle = bad...
    How right you are NYBamaFan. It is something that should never happen but occasionally does. BTW great answer.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by ih8auburn View Post
    However, since we are talking about High School, the play has to be re-done without exception.
    BZZZZZZZZZZ !!

That's only true when the ball is loose and the IW is blown.

cbi1972 got it right. When the ball is in player possession, his team has the option of taking the ball at the point of the IW (and counting the down), or a "do-over" from the previous spot.

BTW, the official who had the inverted whistle has to buy the first round for the crew after the game!

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Jref View Post
    BTW, the official who had the inverted whistle has to buy the first round for the crew after the game!
    For the crew? How about the coaches of the team that got hosed? Heck, how about the whole stadium. They should hand out these:

BamaNation First Team

Hey NYBamaFan, where did you get the "Jref" Doll?

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by NYBamaFan View Post
    Thinking it through, the team in possession gets the choice of accepting the result of the play at the point of the whistle (safety) or replaying the down (other team in scoring position).

Ouch! That stinks. Neither option helps them. Inadvertent whistle = bad...

NY you are getting better each week.

There are two types of officials - those who have had inadvertant whistles and those who will have them eventually. Hopefully they don't happen too often, but they do happen. It seems like this situation is not fair - and I would agree. The rules can sometimes seem unfair, but that also happens sometimes.

Saying ‘I'’m sorry’ is the same as saying ‘I apologize...except at a funeral.”