Is there an end in sight, to USC's run atop college football?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm sure people are having the same conversation about us.
Remember when we were dead and buried back on September 20?

1) The Sugar Bowl Loss To Oklahoma Was The End....

Tonight was the last night of the Alabama dynasty.

That doesn't mean that Alabama will never win a national championship, or even that it will be a long time before they do. The smart money is on Nick Saban winning at least one more before he leaves Tuscaloosa.

But the period when Alabama towered over the college football landscape, when it lost five games over the course of four years, when its name began to carry the same undertones in college football that names like the Yankees and Patriots have at times held in their respective sports -- that time period is over. Alabama is now is just another college football team. A very good team -- one of the best. Just not one that seems unbeatable

1) Some Idiot At SB Nation on August 20

Armed with this understanding of history, it seems a certainty that Auburn's unthinkable Kick Six has been the jolt to the system required to break the spell of Saban. It doesn't get any more unlikely than winning a game with a play that has only been made 4 times in the 144 year history of the sport - and had NEVER ended a game.

2) Colin Cowherd After the 2014 Ole Miss Loss

Now they beat Texas A&M like that, well Texas A&M is atrocious defensively. They're beat up, they're young and they just played poorly. They played back-to-back tough games and that's hard to do at the college level. Yeah, I think the dynasty's over. I think they'll win a lot of games. I think Alabama will lose one, or maybe two games the rest of the way and I feel strongly about that."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Remember when we were dead and buried back on September 20?

1) The Sugar Bowl Loss To Oklahoma Was The End....

Tonight was the last night of the Alabama dynasty.

That doesn't mean that Alabama will never win a national championship, or even that it will be a long time before they do. The smart money is on Nick Saban winning at least one more before he leaves Tuscaloosa.

But the period when Alabama towered over the college football landscape, when it lost five games over the course of four years, when its name began to carry the same undertones in college football that names like the Yankees and Patriots have at times held in their respective sports -- that time period is over. Alabama is now is just another college football team. A very good team -- one of the best. Just not one that seems unbeatable

1) Some Idiot At SB Nation on August 20

Armed with this understanding of history, it seems a certainty that Auburn's unthinkable Kick Six has been the jolt to the system required to break the spell of Saban. It doesn't get any more unlikely than winning a game with a play that has only been made 4 times in the 144 year history of the sport - and had NEVER ended a game.

2) Colin Cowherd After the 2014 Ole Miss Loss

Now they beat Texas A&M like that, well Texas A&M is atrocious defensively. They're beat up, they're young and they just played poorly. They played back-to-back tough games and that's hard to do at the college level. Yeah, I think the dynasty's over. I think they'll win a lot of games. I think Alabama will lose one, or maybe two games the rest of the way and I feel strongly about that."
Im shocked you didn't include this one...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ing-11-alabama-s-dynasty-is-still-dead-092115
Clay Travis after the Ole Miss game...Oh Boy...

How about this instead of an excuse -- good teams sometimes lose. Great teams, rarely, if ever, lose. Alabama's just a good football team. The rest of the SEC has caught up with Alabama and Nick Saban, particularly Saban's defense. Alabama built its dynasty on defense and the simple fact is Saban's defense is downright ordinary now. What do these numbers represent? 44, 42, and 43, those are the number of points the Alabama defense has given up in three of its past four games against top 15 opponents.

Indeed, in Bama's last 19 games the Tide is now 14-5. In five seasons from 2008 to 2012, Alabama lost just seven games.

In two weeks, when the Tide roll into Georgia and lose, it will be a perfect capstone to the rise and fall of the Tide dynasty. Remember in 2008 when Alabama went to #1 Georgia and humiliated them in Athens in the black out game? That was the beginning of Saban's dynasty at Alabama. Georgia beating the Tide on October 3rd will be a fitting end to Saban's seven year run of conference dominance. The Tide will be virtually eliminated from winning the SEC earlier than in any year since Saban's first in 2007.
I think people hate us more than the USC and Miami dynasties more because how we win. Its like the patriots, Spurs, and Royals/Giants in that we as a team instead of a few individuals, we aren't flashy, and its more business like than a insane sugar rush type feel in how we win. USC was great until they got caught, but I still wonder who would've won in 2003 had it been USC vs LSU more than practically any dream matchup ever.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
i was watching the last part of that game in a bar at the international terminal in atlanta. the place was packed and it seemed like every tv in the place was on the game. when uga went down like that, i heard a few moans and curses, but mostly i heard laughter.
I was in a bar with a buddy of mine watching the game and after their lucky butt 4th down play he turned to me and said "they just won the west. They are gonna pull something out their butts to win we've never seen."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Im shocked you didn't include this one...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ing-11-alabama-s-dynasty-is-still-dead-092115

I think people hate us more than the USC and Miami dynasties more because how we win. Its like the patriots, Spurs, and Royals/Giants in that we as a team instead of a few individuals, we aren't flashy, and its more business like than a insane sugar rush type feel in how we win. USC was great until they got caught, but I still wonder who would've won in 2003 had it been USC vs LSU more than practically any dream matchup ever.

I didn't include Clay because - UNLIKE everyone else - he blew and trumpet loudly and ADMITTED he was bad wrong.

I mean, I don't we don't care much for him but I sure respect that. Lee Corso and Craig James did the same thing the morning after we steamrolled Miami in 1993.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That's a fun thread to come back to & read how much college football has changed drastically as to who's the #1 Football Program in the game..USC's run under Pete Carroll is the closest comparison to our current run at Bama in just sheer dominance of college football I can think of & on the recruiting trail..Biggest difference is Coach Saban is doing it by the books & the NCAA hasn't had absolutely no reason to move onto campus for major rules violations investigation.."The Process" has been one helluva ride & most importantly that ride is far from over to the dismay of the rest of college football..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not serious.

To quote the band The Lumineers, "the opposite of love is indifference".

If I said something negative it would mean I care a little bit.
Ah......well, I have to remember we have such a wide range of ages here and now I'm more towards the middle than the end so...

:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.