xbox 360 HD-DVD drive

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Anyone seen any deals on the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive? I want one for Christmas (or before) and want a deal...I've been checking on eBay as well...

Thanks!

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I havent found a disc yet that it wouldnt play. Its also nice because it can use xbox live to connect to the internet and download updates and things.
That's actually standard of all HD DVD players. They all are supposed to be able to connect to the internet so that they can download player updates AND movie updates and additional content.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
For $179, you can buy a stand-alone HD-DVD player (on sale, at least.) I don't like the idea of using my video game machines to watch movies. It puts wear and tear on your drive. (And the PS3 puts out a stupid amount of heat. It's loud, too.) Best Buy has a combo unit on sale for $799 right now.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
For $179, you can buy a stand-alone HD-DVD player (on sale, at least.) I don't like the idea of using my video game machines to watch movies. It puts wear and tear on your drive. (And the PS3 puts out a stupid amount of heat. It's loud, too.) Best Buy has a combo unit on sale for $799 right now.
Well, since the 360 HD DVD player is separate from the 360, you won't be putting any additional wear and tear on the 360 drive.

Actually, Best Buy is going to have a good deal starting this Sunday. You get a free HD DVD copy of Heroes with the 360 HD DVD drive for $179.99. King Kong already comes in the box and you can get an additional 5 free HD DVD movie by mail.

Ad Scan

5 Free HD DVD offer (PDF)

There are also rumors floating around that Wal-Mart will be selling a Toshiba HD DVD player for $199.98 soon.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Best Buy's unit:
LG BH100 Blu-ray Disc - HD-DVD Combo Player - Product Review of the LG BH100

However, I think I'm going to wait for Samsung's:
Hands-On Samsung's BD-UP5000 Hybrid HD DVD and Blu-ray player (Verdict: So Far, the Best)

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Ok...another problem/question:

My Xbox 360 premium outputs via component video cable to my TV...not via a digital output. That would limit me to 1080i (can't get 1080p on component, right?).

My understanding is that the HD-DVD drive outputs through the Xbox unit to the TV, not via a HDMI cable straight to TV. Am I right?

As I understand it, the Xbox 360 Elite can output via HDMI, but I certainly don't want to buy ANOTHER 360.

I also heard that if you have a home theater PC, you can use the HD-DVD drive without even having a 360. Not sure how that works, though...

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Ok...another problem/question:

My Xbox 360 premium outputs via component video cable to my TV...not via a digital output. That would limit me to 1080i (can't get 1080p on component, right?).
Correct. However, you can buy the 360 VGA cables to hook up to your TV if it has a VGA input. This will allow for 1080p.

Depending on the size of your TV though, 1080i can look just as good as 1080p. If you have a 50" or smaller TV, you have to be sitting pretty close to notice a difference.

My understanding is that the HD-DVD drive outputs through the Xbox unit to the TV, not via a HDMI cable straight to TV. Am I right?
Correct. The 360 HD DVD drive hooks up to the 360 via the USB port.

I also heard that if you have a home theater PC, you can use the HD-DVD drive without even having a 360. Not sure how that works, though...
Correct. You have to download some drivers to get it that to work.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
FYI - You can get an additional 2 movies free from Best Buy in addition to Heroes S1, King Kong (which comes with the 360 HD Drive), and the mail-in for 5 free HD DVDs.

Link - Best Buy ad.

JUMP ON THIS NOW IF YOU WANT A HD DVD PLAYER!!!

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
Yup, walmart has started selling hd dvd players for $200. This is extremely big news for the format. I dont see hd dvd ever dying at this point. I dont think people actually realize how big of a deal it is that walmart is putting affordable hd dvd players on their shelves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.