Simple question about PS3 and 360

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
I have a XBOX 360 right now (premium edition without HD-DVD). I am irritated by the fan noise of the unit. Is the PS3 any quieter?

The irritating noise and the fact that I have to buy another (~$180) unit to view high def DVD's is stimulating my thought of switching to PS3. I have been a loyal Sony fan (PS one and PS2) and promised myself that I would wait till PS3 came out to upgrade to next-gen gaming. I changed my mind with the recurrent postponements of the PS3 release and the initial price of the unit and bought a 360. I have been well pleased with it and the titles it has, but I'm wavering now. With the new system coming out at $399, I'm thinking of making the switch to Sony. Any advice from the congregation?

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The latest release of the 360s (those made since September) are quieter than the older ones. The PS3 is slightly quieter than the newest version of the 360. As a movie player, the PS3 noise is still noticeable.

The stand-alone HD DVD players are having awesome deals right now and probably will be hitting the $100 range regularly ($200 is the new norm).

Ultimately, your choice of consoles should come down to the games you want to play.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
You know a lot of people complain about the noise that the 360 makes, and maybe I'm just lucky with my system or something, but I find it to be very negligible. The only time I really notice it is during VERY quiet parts of a movie but it hardly keeps me from enjoying the movie.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
Compared to the PS3 while watching a movie, the 360 sounds like a graveyard at midnight. And maybe it's just me, but the PS3 puts out a stupid amount of heat, too.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
It will really just depend who you ask about which one is quieter. I have both, and my ps3 is very quiet. The 360 on the other hand sounds like a small air craft getting ready for take off. The 360 is a couple of years old though, so the new ones may be alot quieter.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
My 360 is about a year and a half old. My PS3 is about three months old. It's no contest; the PS3 is louder when playing a movie. When playing a game, they are about the same. (I've never used my 360 for a DVD player, so I couldn't tell you how much noise they make when using them for such.) Does anybody use the HD player for 360? Does it force the 360 to make more noise? I'm glad I waited to buy a stand-alone HD-DVD because I didn't want my 360 running just so I could watch a movie.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
Well if the ps3 fan kicks into high gear it can be rather loud. but in the normal operating heat range its rather quiet if you ask me. I can't compare it to the 360 tho.

I did have my ps3 in a semi enclosed cabniet (like where a dvd player would sit in a normal entertainment center) but now i have a new more open air entertainment center and it runs so much cooler in there. That helps alot with the noise. I noticed that when it was in my first entertainment center the fan would kick into turbo mode in like 5 mins, now it only does it in intense parts of games.

CBag4Bama

1st Team
Sep 22, 2002
Birmingham, AL
With the new system coming out at $399, I'm thinking of making the switch to Sony.
Another thing you have to think about if your buying the PS3 is are you planning on playing old PS1 and PS2 games on it. The 40GB for $399 will play PS1 but does not play PS2 and from what I've read there are no plans to include that feature in the future. The 60GB and 80GB both play PS1 and most PS2 games. I bought a 80GB with Motorstorm for $499 for the bigger hard drive and because I have a lot of PS2 games.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.