Super Six - Pick your Winners!

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
Well...I'm 3/3.

Leroy just beat Fyffe 25-20. C'mon St. Paul's!
St Paul's answered. But, man, what a crazy ending to a game. The situation: St Paul's up 14-7. Briarwood was down around the 10 trying to score with about two minutes left and St Paul's intercepted a pass right outside the endzone. They make one first down and the clock starts to become a factor. Briarwood finally made a stop and St Paul's has to punt it back with less than 20 seconds on the clock. Briarwood shoots through the line and blocks their second punt in a row, only this one is picked up and taken to the endzone. Now, everyone is getting ready to play overtime but a player for St Paul's breaks through the line and blocks the PAT. St Paul's then recovers the onside kick and takes one snap in the victory formation to take the win and the state 5A championship over Briarwood Christian 14-13! What excitement! :eek::willy_nilly::hurray:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
St Paul's answered. But, man, what a crazy ending to a game. The situation: St Paul's up 14-7. Briarwood was down around the 10 trying to score with about two minutes left and St Paul's intercepted a pass right outside the endzone. They make one first down and the clock starts to become a factor. Briarwood finally made a stop and St Paul's has to punt it back with less than 20 seconds on the clock. Briarwood shoots through the line and blocks their second punt in a row, only this one is picked up and taken to the endzone. Now, everyone is getting ready to play overtime but a player for St Paul's breaks through the line and blocks the PAT. St Paul's then recovers the onside kick and takes one snap in the victory formation to take the win and the state 5A championship over Briarwood Christian 14-13! What excitement! :eek::willy_nilly::hurray:
Yeah that was one of the craziest finishes I've seen in a while. That kid from Briarwood (#84) had one heck of a game! Matchett, Barron, and Martin had really good games for St. Paul's. That kid Martin is going to be one to watch out for next year. He was all over the field in that game, he's a player. I wouldn't mind seeing both him and McCarron follow Matchett, Barron, and Hood (hopefully) to Bama next year. :biggrin2:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Is there a prize ???
1A - Sweet Water --- best small school team I've seen
2A - Leroy -- strong running, good passing
3A - Cordova -- only because they're near here
4A - Central -- gotta go with the home town team, but this will be close
5A - St. Paul's -- this one is really close, but my back judge went there, so...
6A - Prattville -- would be a major upset if SP wins
Hey! I'm four-outta-four so far. That's scary !!

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
3A: Clay County vs. Cordova -Again, a good matchup. Clay County's offensive line is big and fast - they have beaten a good 5A Benjamin Russell team the last two years. Cordova is very good - but Clay County is better. Clay County 31, Cordova 14
No offense here but I just love the way a lot of people (who have never seen Cordova play) considered CCHS the heavy favorite. Obviously Benjamin Russell isn't a good 5A team :p Cordova pretty much controlled the game after CCHS's first drive and 2 turnovers kept it close. All in all a good game and turned out well :)

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
No offense here but I just love the way a lot of people (who have never seen Cordova play) considered CCHS the heavy favorite.
The deciding factor for me was that Cordova shut out Pike Co. (the team that beat Clay Co in last year's title game) in the second round.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
The deciding factor for me was that Cordova shut out Pike Co. (the team that beat Clay Co in last year's title game) in the second round.
Actually beat Pike Co. in the third round.
We were underestimated all year by a lot of people. With our whole backfield coming back next year we might not be able to sneak up on anyone.

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
Actually beat Pike Co. in the third round.
We were underestimated all year by a lot of people. With our whole backfield coming back next year we might not be able to sneak up on anyone.
I'll tell you the team that won't be able to sneak up on any one next year. It is Leroy. They'll be going for a three-peat with 22 juiniors coming back. I watched the 2A championship game and that QB is one heck of a ball player. I don't know if he is good enough to be a QB at the next level. He's got awhile to improve but I could see him making some team a nice safety like the kid from Susan Moore that played for Miss St as a freshman this year. He's a heck of an athlete.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I watched the 2A championship game and that QB is one heck of a ball player. I don't know if he is good enough to be a QB at the next level.
Athletically, he's good enough. Maybe not for an SEC-level team, but certainly for some D-I school.

The problem I typically see with QBs from small schools is that they haven't seen the more sophisticated defensive schemes that are used by larger schools, and it takes a while to adjust to that.

Brodie Croyle and Chris Smelley are good recent examples of what I mean.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.