Great Bear Bryant Story About The Benefits of Being Nice to People

I saw this story posted over on Tigerdroppings and I thought about you guys. It's a great story about Bear Bryant and recruiting in his first year at Alabama and how a kind deed never goes unrewarded. It really made me smile. I thought ya'll might enjoy it:

http://www.worldsfootballnews.com/st.../09/12/9418520

I remember watching Alabama in 1981 and 1982 with my dad. He was a huge LSU fan, but he said that he always pulled for Alabama because he respected Bear Bryant so much. I watched Bear's last game in the Liberty Bowl with my father and I remember him telling me what a big deal that was. He was right.

Anyway, something to cheer you up on a cold, wintry day.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame alextupelo's Avatar

Re: Great Bear Bryant Story About The Benefits of Being Nice to People

thats one of my favorite stories, thanks for sharing once again.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

That's always been one of my favorite stories about him.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Ah, how I miss the days of Coach Bryant and Chollie Mac.
    Hand (Da'Shawn), the consensus choice by the major recruiting services as the nation's No. 1 defensive lineman, told 247Sports that each school in his top five has its own unique appeal to him.

"All have their little pieces," Hand said. "At Auburn, I went to a construction site. At South Carolina, it was the linemen, at Michigan it was the sports marketing and at Alabama, it was Alabama. It's Alabama."

BamaNation All-SEC JAXFLBAMAFAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Ah, how I miss the days of Coach Bryant and Chollie Mac.
    The best story I have ever heard about CBB. I liked it so much the first time I heard it I incorporated it in my sermon the next Sunday and use it as my close on Tidefans.
    "I wanna play for you Bear."
    "It don't cost nothin to be nice." Bear Bryant

BamaNation Second Team bamacrewdog3's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

i dont care how many time i heard or read that story i is always great

I'm glad it's a well known story. Since I'm not a Bama fan, I had never heard it before. I'm glad that I ran across it.

I was in a local restaurant in Montgomery a while back, and they had newspapers up on the wall about Coach Bryant. They had the front page of the Tuscaloosa News right after he died. The story about his funeral and the words of President Reagan were amazing. So many people gave respect and they knew what they had before he was gone. So often, we don't realize what we have until we lose it. I was impressed with how well respected he was in life, and not just after he had passed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Great read!!!! Thanks for posting it, 21.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

21, if you can understand the importance of a story like this, then you can begin to understand what makes us Tide Fans tick. Thanks for sharing........
    "Tradition is the foundation that great programs are built on"

That's always been one of my favorite stories about Coach Bryant. Thanks 21! I'm from Montgomery. What restaurant were you in?
    "Nuthin like
    smashmouth football,
    is there. Let me help
    you up."

BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

One of the great BB stories I have shared with my employees to try and make them see the light so to speak,
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

FB | REC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LSUFan21 View Post
    He was a huge LSU fan, but he said that he always pulled for Alabama because he respected Bear Bryant so much.
    Your Dad was not the only one. I remember the first ever road game I went to was the 1977 Alabama v. LSU game in Tiger Stadium. I knew Bryant was a big deal anyway, but it wasn't until that day that I knew just how big of a deal he was. We had seats in the lower bowl towards the South end, and I remember him leaning up against the goal post watching our guys warm up. He had been there for about two or three minutes, and suddenly all of these LSU people starting coming up to shake his hand. Cheerleaders, assistants, ball boys, you name it. Finally Mike the Tiger walked up to him and shook his hand, and I'd never seen anything like it. It was then that I knew just how big of a deal he was. I've never been able to quite get over the fact that the LSU people were even in more awe of Bryant than were the Alabama people.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUFan21 View Post
    I watched Bear's last game in the Liberty Bowl with my father and I remember him telling me what a big deal that was. He was right.
    That was a big one, no doubt. I am not much of a collector -- few odd and end pieces is about it -- but I was at that game, and I still have my ticket stub, my program, and a crimson button, with white writing, that I bought outside the stadium that read, "I was there for 323." I've had those things for over a quarter of a century now, and I wouldn't sell them for all of money in the world. I'll never forget the feeling of sitting in that freezing cold stadium, watching our two-decade long dominance of college football officially come to an end, and seeing that man's coaching career play out its final chapter. I've been fortunate enough to attend some great moments in Alabama football history -- three national championships, 315, and the Kick, just to name a few -- but that freezing cold Liberty Bowl will always be the one I remember above all others.

Anyway, enough reminiscing, it has been twenty-five years now since his departure, and no one has even come remotely close to accomplishing what he did. To absolutely dominate the game in the way he did, in the game's toughest conference at that, is just hard to even fathom. I would not have believed that kind of domination was even possible, except that I know it is because I saw it with my own eyes. I feel completely confident in saying that we will never see another single coach dominate the game like he did.

On a separate note, I always had a fondness for Charlie Mac, as well. I actually got the chance to meet him six or seven years before he died, and he was a very nice man. I'll never forget getting to meet him.

And you know, it's really a shame that the status of college football has turned into what it is. Football has always been cut-throat, but it has gotten much worse in recent years. Sadly enough, we've lost the camaraderie of that era. The days of cordial respect for your opponents, like was the case between Bryant and Charlie Mac, are largely days gone by at this point.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; January 20th, 2008 at 01:21 AM.

FB | REC Moderator

Speaking of Bryant and LSU, here is a picture I figured some of you LSU people might enjoy.

This was taken shortly before kick-off for the 1981 Alabama v. LSU game, which was the final time Bryant coached in Tiger Stadium.