Share your favorite Alabama football quote

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Since it's the off-season, how about a little loose jawin'?

Short or long, bring your favorite. Don't have one? Come sit down in this room full of graybeards and learn a few...:pDT_old:

I'll start us off with two--

"The first person I would like to thank is the good Lord, for giving me the ability to play the game of football. Because without the ability to play the game I would have been at Auburn." -- Marty Lyons

"No man, I majored in Journalism, it was easier." -- Joe Namath responding to a journalist who asked him if he majored in Basket Weaving at Alabama.

Go ahead, add yours...

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
"In the second quarter I saw Torretta look over at me and he froze for a second. I saw fear."-John Copeland on Gino Toretta '93 Sugar Bowl

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
"Everyone says we can't beat Miami, but we are not just anybody, we are Alabama." -- David Palmer just before the 1992 Sugar Bowl.

"He knocked me woozy. I have never been hit like that before and hopefully, I'll never be hit like that again." -- Notre Dame QB Steve Beuerlein after Cornelius Bennett's tackle of him in the 1986 game.

"Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1st." -- Miami Receiver Lamar Thomas before the '93 Sugar Bowl. Thomas was involved in the Play of the Century.

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
My favorite quote actually comes from a High School Junior Varsity game I was involved in back in the mid 90's. I happened to be one of the players that was involved in the coin toss at mid field. I lived in Florence at the time and went to a 6A high school in Florence City. We were playing one of the county schools outside the City. After the coin toss, one of their players said "this is the country boys versus the city boys!" Without missing a beat, the referee said, "son, this is Alabama, their ain't no city boys round here." I'll never forget that. lol

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC
1985...what a year! Paul Kennedy said at the conclusion of the last regular season game, "and the state of Alabama is Crimson".

Earlier after a comeback against the dawgs, "Bless you Mike Shula".

1985 year in review is what started my sons love of the Tide where he now attends school! He could do the video better than Keith Jackson he watched it so much!

CrimsonNeck

1st Team
Jan 8, 2004
Elsewhen, Alabama
"The first person I would like to thank is the good Lord, for giving me the ability to play the game of football. Because without the ability to play the game I would have been at Auburn." -- Marty Lyons

"No man, I majored in Journalism, it was easier." -- Joe Namath responding to a journalist who asked him if he majored in Basket Weaving at Alabama.
Those are both Goodies. Here's what hangs over my desk:

"If you want to get to Heaven and walk the streets of Gold,
You have to know the password is ~ Roll Tide Roll"
-- St. Peter

:biga::biggrin::biga:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
"If you don't stop spilling Pepsi on my back I'm going to shove that cup up your nose"!

BT at the 1999 Bama vs LSU game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
"Oh, I didn't change my mind. I was Bama all the way. All my teachers were Auburn fans, so I made better grades by being committed to Auburn." Big Jon Hand - who had been a solid verbal to Auburn during the entire recruitting period - when asked why he changed his mind and signed with Bama.

bamastan71

1st Team
Aug 12, 2007
Jacksonville
Now this is a thread that I can really get into, I love reading this stuff. Its so hard to chose a fav.

"All due respect to Auburn....but when Alabama gets this thing going, they control that state." - Kirk Herbstreit (December 1, 2006)

"In the second quarter I saw Torretta look over at me and he froze for a second. I saw fear."-John Copeland on Gino Toretta '93 Sugar Bowl
Yesterday 04:11 AM

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
"Here's a twenty....bury two."
Coach Bryant when asked to contribute $10 toward the funeral expenses of a recently-departed sportswriter.

"I waxed the dude."
Rory Turner on his tackle of Brent Fullwood on 4th and 2 late in the 1984 Auburn game.

Spot Dailey

Suspended
May 31, 2003
Los Angeles
www.JohnTown.com
I can tell you my most unfavorite Bama quotes. Maybe that's another thread.

1. "Fear The Thumb"
2. Bill Maher was talking about the proof of Bush actually being at Maxwell AFB was they had a record of one of his dental appointments. Maher then said "They have dentists in Alabama?"
3. "Fear The Thumb"

CrimsonManiac2

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2007
Columbia, Mo
One of my all time favorites was from " THE BEAR " when after coaching in the Liberty Bowl for his final game. At the post game press conference he was asked by a reporter if he was upset at not ever having a player win the Heisman HE SAID " Hell No, at Alabama we don't win Heismans we win championships !!!"

RTR

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Contemporary

"Well, this is the second time this season, now, that Florida has found itself trailing in a ballgame. They were down 7-0 against Kentucky. There are few truths in an uncertain world, but here's one. This ain't Kentucky". Verne Ludquist

My all-time favorite

"I'll never forget going to the Rose Bowl. I remember everything about it. We were on the train and Coach Thomas was talking to three coaches and Red Heard, the athletic director at LSU. Coach Thomas said, Red, this is my best football player. This is the best player on my team.' Well, shoot, I could have gone right out the top. He was getting me ready. And I was, too. I would have gone out there and killed myself for Alabama that day." If you don't know who said that - keep it to yourself.

Giant Squid

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2006
"You better pass." - Barry Krauss

As corrected below, that was Marty Lyons.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.