High School transfer eligilbility

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
I have a question for some of you in the know about Alabama High School sports. My daughter entered the 10th grade at Indian Springs High School in B'ham this fall. She grew up over here in Saudi Arabia, and there is really no school alternative past the 9th grade. So my company pays the kids boarding school tuition for 10-12th.

She is playing softball and the coach told her she was not eligibile this season because she is a transfer. I can understand if she had transfered from another school in-state, but does this apply to out-of-state transfers also?

Plus her grandparents live about 3 miles down the road from Indian Springs High School, and because both parents reside out of the country, are listed with the school as guardians.

She probably wouldn't play much even if she was eligilble, but it would be nice to get in a game if the chance came up.

Any help out there? :conf2:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
In the old days , the only thing that mattered was that if you lived in a schools district , you played there . I have a friend moved back around '82 to play QB at a different high school on the other side of town and there were no issues . :conf3:

FreeBro

1st Team
Nov 17, 2006
SE Alabama
I would contact the AHSAA and explain your situation to them. There are exceptions to be made. The problem is that the state had some private schools that were recruiting foreign exchange students based on their athletic ability. It is now difficult to move in without your parents and be eligible. The number at the AHSAA is (334) 263-6994. Ask to speak to Wanda Gilliland or Greg Brewer. They are both super nice and if they cannot help they will put you in touch with someone that can.

The website is www.ahsaa.com and you can email them also. I think your daughter will be eligible next year based on my past experience.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Thanks for all ya'lls help. I emailed AHSAA and got a reply from Ron Ingram. She has to wait one calendar year from enrollment before she is eligible.
There are some good things with this. As someone that grew up on bases the competition is not always as good as the competition in mainstream schools. It would give her a year to "adjust" to the change and she still gets to practice. Games are very important, but it is just one of those things that we have to take in stride.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.