Who Is The Best Bama Player That You Can Remember?

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I am too young to remember Bart Starr, Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath, ext. The first real memories that I have was Major O. with the tear away jersey. And when I was in High School, I can remember Cornelius Bennett just dominating, and Derrick Thomas just as good. And from 92 Copeland, and Curry. But it is hard for me to nail down the very best BAMA player that I can remember. Maybe Cornelius Bennett. I work with a guy that played for the Eagles, and the Packers, said that Bisquit was a really tough to block, and DT was just too quick.
Then Sean Alexander W/ Samuels blocking.
I might say that Bennett was my personal favorite to watch. Just my opinoion. If I were older, maybe Kenny Stabler. But I never saw him play live.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
That is a tough question. there have been so many and at so many different positions.

Like you, one of my first "greats" to remember is Major. But I remember Steadman Shealy, Jeff Rutledge, Richard Todd, Tony Nathan, EJ Junior, and Ozzie Newsome as well. Those are some of my oldest memories.

And Bobby Humphrey was unbelievable.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
1. Ozzie Newsome -best hands on a TE that I have ever witnessed.
2. Derrick Thomas - faster than any LB and would knock your head off.
2. Cornelius O'Landa Bennett - the best all around LB since Lee Roy Jordan.
4. Shaun Alexander - our best RB we have ever produced. And that says it all.
5. John Hannah - the best offensive lineman to play at the Capstone.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I hope it didn't make a mess of your desk. David Palmer, he was so explosive and getting the ball in his hands usually meant a Bama win.

KDM4TIDE

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 10, 2006
David Palmer is my all time favorite player at Alabama, and mainly the reason i fell in love with Alabama... This guy did it all RB WR PR QB and even Punted the ball one game...

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
Wow. Hard to compare players from different positions.
Biscuit was one of the hardest hitting LB's.........ever.......just ask Bo......he still has the #97 embedded in his ribcage..... from Biscuit's helmet!
Joe Willie was simply peerless......tremendous athlete.
The Duece was awsome......no, awsome is too tame.....magic with the football in his hands......none of the measurable's....... all of the intangibles......
Pro was going to be a legend.....one of the most selfless players to ever wear Crimson.....pure football player!

crimson_blood

All-American
Jul 22, 2006
Helena, AL
I'm still in my 20's...so I don't go back very far...but these come to mind:

1. David Palmer
2. S. Alexander
3. Curry/Copeland
4. George Teague
5. Chris Samuels

Although he later had some problems with the law, the one guy that I loved to watch play every game at Bama was Ralph Staten. Could run like the wind blows from his LB spot and would knock your head off.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I keep coming back to Bisquit, I arrived at the capstone a year after him and witnessed most of his career, nobody dominated the game like he did. and nobody sent more players to the sideline injured than he did. I snuck on the practice field once during a coaching clinic (tried to act coach-ly so they wouldn't toss me, stand there with your fingers rubbing your chin shaking your head slightly as if your recognizing something). The first team D was going against the first team O, Bennett was going sideline to sideline making tackles on every single play, nobody could block him, nobody could catch him to try to block him, he looked like a high school player in a pee wee game, he was that dominant.

I told someone today that McLain has a chance to be the best linebacker I've seen since Bennett. He's not there, but he could be if he keeps getting better. McLains an inside guy and bennet was an outside guy so they are different but McLain could dominate like that one day.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Crimson Hawk, you referred to Bo.. Don't you mean BOB JACKSON. I hear that was his name, but he could not spell it. When he got in school, they had to drop the last "B" Thus Bo
Yes, Bisquit was great. In my opinion

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.