Should we have an IQ test for right to vote?

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Not at all. An objective test would simply discriminate against the uninformed, whoever that might be. If "right wingers" are uninformed, let them sit out elections until they become more informed.
I just am convinced that this would eliminate more Democrat voters than others.
I'm too dumb to read the whole thread. Are you equating being uninformed with being unintelligent? Because I know a lot of really smart people that don't have a clue.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
True, but that is the case in every pre-election poll.
Surely, you acknowledge the difference between registered and likely voters, and the use of the former will skew results in favor of the Democrats. The Pew organization states, "Republicans traditionally turn out to vote in higher numbers than do Democrats."
This is weak grounds for dismissal of the Gallup data,
I am not dismissing them, just acknowledging that they contain a methodological bias. Perhaps you missed that.
This is a redundant point that adds little substance over the first one. (Although I realize that you enjoy seeing yourself type and hope to claim victory in every argument by invoking the wall of text.)
Ditto, mate.
Awesome. So since the postgraduates don't fit your worldview, you can toss them to the curb?
No, more detail is in order, but the sources do not go into the requisite granularity.
How intellectually honest and markedly predictable of you. No, I don't really give a rat's ___ what you'd expect the results of a MA/PhD breakdown to say,
Obviously you do since you are commenting on the topic.
The reason I brought that up was that the Christian Science Monitor story from 1992 did break down post-grad holders of MAs from holders of PhDs.
There were more of the former than the latter, thus a more significant demographic.
since your bias is well-documented in this thread. But since we don't currently have a draft, and majority of those who move on to postgraduate degrees are actually smart, despite your protestations, this point is just a laughably transparent attempt to redefine the evidence against you. Well sorry, it doesn't hold water.
Well, since PhDs make up the vast majority of the professoriat, and they tend to have a relatively long shelf-life. Many of those who earned their PhDs in the early 1970s are still teaching. Look at your department. How many of the PhDs earned their degrees in the 1970s (and thus, were in grad school during the draft-exemption era)?
So you admit that digging two decades in the past was a foolish red herring on your part? Good, that's progress.
Nope, just the most recent data on the subject I could recall. It struck me at the time (1992).
How did you even assemble those numbers?
In my haste, I included the “other party” category in the Republican number. It varied from 1.4 to 2.1%. Not significant enough to change the analysis: Democrats won HS drop-outs, HS grads, Jr College (by progressively narrow margins), lost college grads, and won post-grads, (although MA and PhD holders are not differentiated in the last category).
Here is more data from 1997-2003, this time from the Pew Research Center.
You do trust Pew, I take it.
............1997-2000..........Post 9/11
................Rep...Dem......Rep...Dem
<HS grad....20.....39........20....36
HS Grad.....26.....34........29.....32
Some coll...30.....31........33.....30
Coll grad....35.....28........38.....27
Post-grad...29.....34........31.....33

http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=750

Once again, the trend holds. Democrats win HS drop-outs by a wide margin (almost 2-1), HS grads by a smaller margin. 1997-2000 Democrats narrowly won those with some college, but post-9/11, they lost their edge with voters with some college (a change I would wager has been reversed in 2008). In both time periods, they lost college grads, but post-9/11, the gap with post-grads narrowed.

Bottom line: different time period, same general results: with the exception of post-grads, the less educated a voter, the more likely to vote Democrat. Are you still disputing this result?

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
has anyone esle noticed slab's multiple happy faces recently..... and this is the week of the tenn game as well......... do the mods have to get drug tests for this site........ hmm something is up.
No. The only requirement here is that you understand basic movements of a mouse and keyboard and have extreme patience with the the general public.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Stalin says something to the effect of... The one who counts the vote decides who is the winner.

I really dont think an IQ test would help anything.
Everyone knows IQ is the ability to learn or retain. But with all the "Learning" (American Idle, Dancing with whomever) people are doing now its no wonder we are voting for scum and scummier.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Stalin says something to the effect of... The one who counts the vote decides who is the winner.
"It is not who votes that matters. It is who counts the votes that matters."
I really dont think an IQ test would help anything.
Everyone knows IQ is the ability to learn or retain. But with all the "Learning" (American Idle, Dancing with whomever) people are doing now its no wonder we are voting for scum and scummier.
Abraham Lincoln, during the American Civil War, was very concerned about how what America did would influence representative government elsewhere. If the country fell apart, anti-democrats around the world (and there were a number in 1861-65), would point at the US and say, "See? People can't govern themselves. To attempt to do this is folly." They are still watching and the debate is not over.
Fast-forward the tape to 2008 and an electorate that is (a) dealing in debt, spending more than it has, year after year (b) about to enact more deficit spending, (c) and even fool itself into believing that "tax credits" for people not paying income taxes is something other than a transfer payment.
There is simply no bottom to the fiscal depravity that could be unleashed. The people at the bottom end of the tax brackets can simply vote themselves unlimited raises from those at the top, until those at the top stop working or move off-shore.

Boclive

All-American
Sep 6, 2002
Ten pages of vigorous discussion and debate on an unlikely hypothetical.

Voters aren't even required to show identification in 47 states, and you want to test IQ's?

Yep, we're hosed up in here. :conf3:

I

It's On A Slab

has anyone esle noticed slab's multiple happy faces recently..... and this is the week of the tenn game as well......... do the mods have to get drug tests for this site........ hmm something is up.
Hey, I made a conscious attempt yesterday to spread sweetness and light, and make this forum into our version of Super Fun Time, but you guys didn't even try to enjoy the new niceness.

The real Slab is back this morning.

So no more of this belly-aching about turning Non-Sports into The Strip. Unless we can turn The Strip into The Strip Joint. :biggrin:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
:eek2::biggrin2:
Hey, I made a conscious attempt yesterday to spread sweetness and light, and make this forum into our version of Super Fun Time, but you guys didn't even try to enjoy the new niceness.

So no more of this belly-aching about turning Non-Sports into The Strip. Unless we can turn The Strip into The Strip Joint. :biggrin:
I did my best to mirror you...but if you're going back to your cranky, sardonic self...then so am I.:biggrin2:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

I guess that if you go back to your old ways then I will just have to come and beat that butt like I promised you. :biggrin:

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
whoooo!!!!! if you get to bring back the old slab then I get to bring back the old me....... hmmmmm now if only I can find that old post of the week acceptance speech i had.........:biggrin:

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I envision a simple test that would only weed out the true morons. Here is my sample test for this year's election:

1. Is Obama a Muslim?

2. Considering one candidate is all about "CHANGE," and the other is a "Maverick," please list what % of the time either candidate actually voted AGAINST his own party.
Obama___%
McCain___%

3. Do you think Auburn is worth visiting? (no, hell no, or a cursing tirade are the only acceptable answers)

I figure that would be good enough. The questions and answers could be distributed by a central committee made up of bipartisan morons who will no doubt argue about the % question......and maybe even the Muslim question.
Are you actually saying that Senator Obama is a Muslim? And, I don't pretend to be a Senator, but there are many factors that go into how a Senator casts his or her vote on the Senate floor. Defending a vote that is perceived as an unpopular position takes a lot longer than it takes a biased media to spin the vote in the light that they see it. "He voted to raise taxes 92 times" is a simple enough sentence that the majority of the people can grasp it. If you go into a discussion about the specifics of those votes, people lose interest.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
On average, yes--people who have masters or doctorate degrees are generally smarter than those who don't.
I guess that those of us that have not went on to grad school should just follow grad students blindly because of thier superior knowledge.
Well, one definition of education is the ability to make yourself do something that needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether you like it or not. So, in that case, the more educated people have the ability to apply themselves to the pursuit of attaining a degree (whether it is a college or post-graduate degree). An excessive number of instances of dropping out or quitting school would be as good of an indicator of lack of education as someone who refused to put in the behind-the-scenes effort in order to get that A.

And, no, I would not say that those who have not gone on to grad school should blindly follow anyone. :)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, one definition of education is the ability to make yourself do something that needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether you like it or not.
That's a strange definition for education, and I'm in education! Sounds more like "self-discipline" to me.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
That's a strange definition for education, and I'm in education! Sounds more like "self-discipline" to me.
Learned that one from my Mom - she had a framed version of it in her office. She's been in education her whole life - taught at Bama for many years, but not any more. It was her philosophy on education, but I did find it interesting that Coach Saban basically said the same thing was his definition of self-discipline in one of his recent press conferences.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm too dumb to read the whole thread. Are you equating being uninformed with being unintelligent? Because I know a lot of really smart people that don't have a clue.
While I believe that any standard which would improve the quality of voting may be a good thing, a better, much more easily enforced and less elitist standard would be to deny the franchise to anyone receiving a hand-out from the government. If you cherish your vote, don't take a hand-out.
By accepting a hand-out, a resident is declaring himself to be irresponsible in managing his personal affairs, needing a hand-out to get by, and thus a ward of the state. It defies logic to allow a person who cannot manage his own personal affairs to have a hand in directing the affairs of state.
If recipients of welfare had to sign a statement declaring themselves a ward of the state for the duration of such welfare in order to receive his check, and agreeing not to exercise the franchise within one year of such a declaration, the quality of voter rolls would be improved immeasurably. Most importantly, forcing such people to acknowledge their irresponsibility would remove a target audience for demagogic appeals. Recipients of a gift should not be empowered to dictate the nature and amount of a gift.
This will never happen, of course, but is a worthy ideal to help ensure the republic survives.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Learned that one from my Mom - she had a framed version of it in her office. She's been in education her whole life - taught at Bama for many years, but not any more. It was her philosophy on education, but I did find it interesting that Coach Saban basically said the same thing was his definition of self-discipline in one of his recent press conferences.
It could be "both", one and the same!

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
Did you listen to the link that I provided? It is where Sal goes to Harlem and ask people who they were voting for. They said Obama. Then he ask them which of Obama's policies did they agree with most. The problem is that he listed McCain's policies like continueing the effort in Iraq and they would say that they definitely supported staying in Iraq. He would then ask if they supported Obama's pick for his runnning mate, Sarah Palin and they would say definitely and that she would do a good job.

Saw that myself Mama. Shows how well informed the population is and that many blacks will vote for Obama simply because he is black.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Imagine that I introduced you to someone you had never known before. Then, I told you that this person had accomplished the following things in life:

- Columbia U. graduate
- President of Harvard Law Review
- Magna cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School
- Published author
- Senior lecturer on constitutional law at U. Chicago Law School
- Practicing attorney for several years
By that list, I'm more than twice as qualified (political science, law, international relations, business from big name schools + work experience that goes with it) to be president as Obama.

If I were his potential "employer" and looking at this resume I would note the following.

BO has a nice "education" section on his resume, but he's substantially light on the work experience.

Another lawyer, huh? God knows we need another lawyer (social engineer) in the halls of power.

No knowledge of economics.

No knowledge of international relations.

No demonstrated respect for the Constitution.

No leadership/executive experience.

Next job candidate, please.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.