Should we have an IQ test for right to vote?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Private schools can discriminate and it has nothing to do with "merit". It mainly has to do with money.
Of course, private schools can select their students based on any criteria, just as consumers of a private school education make choices based on anything (religion, gender, sports program, etc.). But, to say merit is not a main driver is not correct. I don't think a private school will survive with the slogan "We're just as lame as the pubic school down the street. Give us another $15,000/year." No, they generally offer something else to garner a critical mass of customers willing to pay the extra price. And most of the time it's a better education.

Public schools have to teach any student that walks through the door. Private schools don't, they can turn them away.
Likewise, most parents have to send their kids to public schools because their money is automatically sent there. They have no extra to also buy a private school education. They have to accept whatever quality of education the government and unions provide. If they could shop around in a competitive market (and take their money with them), the more intelligent non-wealthy kids could get a better education.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
By that list, I'm more than twice as qualified (political science, law, international relations, business from big name schools + work experience that goes with it) to be president as Obama.

If I were his potential "employer" and looking at this resume I would note the following.

BO has a nice "education" section on his resume, but he's substantially light on the work experience.

Another lawyer, huh? God knows we need another lawyer (social engineer) in the halls of power.

No knowledge of economics.

No knowledge of international relations.

No demonstrated respect for the Constitution.

No leadership/executive experience.

Next job candidate, please.
and yet he is about to be overwhelmingly elected president in his early forties and you are posting how awesome you are on an obscure message board. funny how that works ain't it ;)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
and yet he is about to be overwhelmingly elected president in his early forties and you are posting how awesome you are on an obscure message board. funny how that works ain't it ;)
Never said anything about me being awesome. Just pointing out that Obama is in no way, shape or form qualified to be president. Surely an obscure poster like me shouldn't be twice as qualified as the media rockstar for president, right?

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I would vote for ya Bodhi.... unfortunately I'm not advanced to spell your name so the best you could hope for from me on election day is a hanging chad.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.