Should we have an IQ test for right to vote?

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
An enlightened citizenry is indispensable for the proper functioning of a republic. Self-government is not possible unless the citizens are educated sufficiently to enable them to exercise oversight. It is therefore imperative that the nation see to it that a suitable education be provided for all its citizens.
Jefferson... I think.

With all the videos showing completely ignorant idiots saying they will vote for one candidate or the other with no logical basis for making that decision and often completely factually inaccurate reasons, why in the hell can't we institute a test for the right to vote? I think we need some basic test everyone must take to have the right to vote. We don't let the dumbest people even make our local policy yet we freely encourage the dumbest people to vote for the leader of the U.S. Why do we behave in this fashion?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Jefferson... I think.

With all the videos showing completely ignorant idiots saying they will vote for one candidate or the other with no logical basis for making that decision and often completely factually inaccurate reasons, why in the hell can't we institute a test for the right to vote? I think we need some basic test everyone must take to have the right to vote. We don't let the dumbest people even make our local policy yet we freely encourage the dumbest people to vote for the leader of the U.S. Why do we behave in this fashion?
We have had people who wouldn't have qualified to vote but ran for president. I won't mention any names.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Jefferson... I think.

A University of Virginia employee commenting on Jefferson, actually.

To answer your question, yes, any screening of voters based on intelligence or level of information of the issues would be a step in the right direction. Eliminating the stupid or the uninformed would cause the Democrat party to squeal like a stuck pig.
Heck, Democrats get their knickers in a twist when people try to restrict non-citizens from voting.

Last edited:

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Lol, you might be on to something there...I'm pretty sure it would eliminate whole counties near where I live from participating.

Pluck and Grit

All-SEC
Jul 12, 2001
Delray Beach, FL
Probably not, but I do believe that a solid 70% of the electorate isn't qualified to have a say in choosing the president. The way I see it, they end up with the government they deserve, but I don't get the one I deserve.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
It would definitely eliminate these voters
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvqhdllXgU"]YouTube - Harlem voters[/ame]

Last edited:

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I would wager that any kind of intelligence/education standard would hurt Democrats more than Republicans.
Eliminating the bottom 10-20% of voters would have probably made 2000 (and probably any other election) a landslide for the GOP.
I agree the democrats would hurt the worst. At least thirty percent of the people voting for them would not make the cut.

I

It's On A Slab

I agree the democrats would hurt the worst. At least thirty percent of the people voting for them would not make the cut.
We would slice out much of the current Prez's 28-30% support as well.

But why disenfranchise folks via IQ tests. Both parties, by offering up homogenized candidates who (many times) are no different than a Ford or a Chevy, effectively disenfranchise folks who stop voting because they aren't offered a choice in the first place.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
We would slice out much of the current Prez's 28-30% support as well.

But why disenfranchise folks via IQ tests. Both parties, by offering up homogenized candidates who (many times) are no different than a Ford or a Chevy, effectively disenfranchise folks who stop voting because they aren't offered a choice in the first place.
I believe you are mistaking the cause for the effect. Dumb down the electorate, and you have to dumb down the candidates through a process of political Darwinism. If an honest conscientious candidate is presenting well-reasoned honest positions to this electorate, they look at him like a hog looking at a wrist-watch. Meanwhile his opponent says, "I'll make you happy. I will give you bread and circuses." The electorate examine the two, and elect the latter. Politicians learn from this, that being honest with the electorate means defeat, while giving them outrageous fantasies wins.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.