Texas-Tex.Tech--Interesting Scenario

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Texas wins they are even more solidified at number one.
But what if an undefeated Tech team whips the Longhorns? Where do they go in the polls?

Is it possible they would leap frog to number one? After all, Texas did when they beat #1 Oklahoma.

It could get interesting.

So are we for Texas or Texas Tech this weekend??

alasippi

bama_at_uab

1st Team
Mar 6, 2006
Birmingham
It actually is an interesting thought, where would you put Texas-Tech. I think it depends on the nature in which they won. If they crush Texas then I think they very well could jump to #1. All in all, I don't think it really matters Alabama will likely stay at number 2 even if they do jump (esp since Penn State is idle) so we still control our own destiny.

I guess it just depends on who you'd like to play the most ;). Tech stands a greater chance of losing on down the road after this week (they play oklahoma) than Texas does, so if Tech wins it increases the chances that we'd play Penn State if we win out. Or if Tech runs the table then we could wind up playing them. So, who do you think we match up best against. Yes, I know that it's too early to talk about this like we're in the game already but it is fun to be in the conversation at this time of year for once.:biggrin:

Tradition4ever

1st Team
Oct 16, 2004
Carlsbad, NM
I think it would depend on how TT would beat UT. If TT blows them out, then maybe they jump us. Remember, the game is in Lubbock, so a home win would need to be impressive for them to jumps us. And, I'm not sure that the poll voters are ready to rank a TT pass-happy team #1....

BigAL413

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
Dodson Branch, TN
If Texas wins they are even more solidified at number one.
But what if an undefeated Tech team whips the Longhorns? Where do they go in the polls?

Is it possible they would leap frog to number one? After all, Texas did when they beat #1 Oklahoma.

It could get interesting.

So are we for Texas or Texas Tech this weekend??

alasippi
I don't think it matters. The way everyone on TV talks, the only way Alabama makes it the NC is to win out, and if Bama wins out they are in.

That being said I have never been so nervous during a game as I was when we played Texas Tech. I don't think I could handle trying to watch Bama v. Texas Tech in a NC game. IMO, if Texas Tech beats Texas and Oklahoma later, they would jump Penn St. but probably not Bama.

bama_at_uab

1st Team
Mar 6, 2006
Birmingham
I don't think it matters. The way everyone on TV talks, the only way Alabama makes it the NC is to win out, and if Bama wins out they are in.

That being said I have never been so nervous during a game as I was when we played Texas Tech. I don't think I could handle trying to watch Bama v. Texas Tech in a NC game. IMO, if Texas Tech beats Texas and Oklahoma later, they would jump Penn St. but probably not Bama.
I have to agree, I think just about the only way that Bama plays for the title is if we win out. However, there's still a lot of football left to be played and one never knows what's going to happen, heck Penn State might fall to Iowa or Michigan State. Texas might fall to Texas-Tech, Kansas, or Mizzou if they play them again. Who knows at this point. All I know is that right now, Bama is in charge of their own destiny. We don't have to rely on anyone else winning or losing at this point for our chance at the title. Let's just hope that we can keep it that way.

R

rolltidescott

I don't see Tech jumping from #7 to #1 in the BCS unless they destroy Texas. And I mean destroy. If Tech beats UT, I think PSU has more to worry about than Bama.

KC Bama fan

1st Team
Nov 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
At worst if they beat texas, tt at least gets into the conversation for a week until ou. If they beat ou, then they become even a more serious threat to both Bama and psu. ou is #4 right now and could even be #3 when they play tt. That would mean a possible top 5 ranked tt would have beaten a higher ranked opponet back to back. Anyway you look at that, it puts them square in the middle of the conversation. Lots of ifs and buts, but it is a scenario none the less.

awesomeman27

Scout Team
Jan 25, 2008
Pinson
I think the Texas D is going to be too tired after playing so many ranked opponents. I think TTU pulls out the upset. It won't be a massacre like the UF-UK game, but i think they have a good chance. Regardless, if we win out, we are in the NC. No matter what any other team does, if we finish unbeaten, we are in it. I think Penn State goes too. They have passed their hardest obstacles.

domeronaroll

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 17, 2005
If TTech defeats Texas, then Alabama will assume the #1 position in the BCS by a comfortable margin.

Here's why: Alabama has defeated legitimate opponents ON THE ROAD. While the poll voters may or may not notice thie achievement, the computers most certainly will.

If you compare the road and neutral site victories of Alabama, Texas, Penn State and TTech in 2008, then the decision of who is #1 should be straightforward. Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.