Question: Can anyone make a Yellowhammer?

Bama1993

1st Team
Aug 25, 2008
I searched this forum as well as the recipe forum and had no luck. I need a recipe for a Yellowhammer, a la Gallette's. Preferably one that is easily expandable to several gallons. Please help. I was nominated to bring Yellowhammers to the tent next week.:BigA:

He who provides the recipe gets directions to the tent and all the yellowhammers he/she can drink.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Orange juice, pineapple juice, rum, vodka & some say Amaretto, some say banana liquor or Midori (melon liquor). I don't know the volumes.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Did anyone ever get the proportions and ingredients corrected (or perfected) for the Yellowhammer drink? I wanna try and make some Saturday.

:BigA:

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Thanks for posting your version Bamasoldier71.

There is another recipe but no proportions:

Pineapple Juice
Orange Juice
Banana Juice
Vodka
Rum
Gernadine
Gin

Can anone comment on proportions?

It is hard to imagine that, on this forum of all places, we cannot produce an accurate Yellowhammer. Perhaps it's constantly evolving? I found this long winded version

Yellowhammer Recipe...

Ingredients
~1 gal. Orange Juice (I use Tropicana Pure Premium - No Pulp)
~6 oz. can Pineapple Juice
~600-800 mL white Rum (I use Barcardi Silver)
~300 mL Amaretto

Process
~Pour half the orange juice into a pitcher to reserve for use at the end of the process,
~Into the remaining orange juice in the original container add the Pineapple Juice, white Rum, and Amaretto,
~Stir to mix well,
~Add back enough of the reserved orange juice to refill fully the original gallon orange juice container,
~Replace the cap and shake gently to mix well,
~Write the current date on the side of the gallon orange juice container with a Sharpie pen,
~Put the Yellowhammer mix in a refrigerator and allow to age for 6 WEEKS (you can drink after two weeks but it will not be as 'ripe' - and drink before three months as it will be 'overripe' beyond that point).
~Serve in a tall glass full of ice cubes - and garnish with a slice of orange and a cherry.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Here is a recipe that I got from someone that used to work there:

Ingredients: rum, amaretto, orange juice and pineapple juice.

for a big tub of it get a bottle of light rum, bottle of amaretto, two big metal cans of pineapple and then a tall carton size (like half and half cream size) of orange juice concentrate and add water (for oj concentrate.)

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Looks like there are a couple of versions materializing.
One is heavy on OJ and lighter on the pineapple juice......
One is heavy on pineapple juice and lighter on the OJ........

Any other Yellowhammer connoisseurs out there want to comment?

:BigA:

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Considering I am off until Monday, if I need to go get all these ingredients and make gallons of the concoction and drink until i perfect it, I will take one for the team and do it :)
What a guy!
You probably need someone to write as you report your findings. We wouldn't want you to come across the perfect recipe and wake up after a real good one without knowing how you got there!
:biggrin2:

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Here is the recipe I used last January for the HC game. Everyone liked it.

1/2 gal OJ
1/2 gal pineapple juice
2 cups amaretto
1 cup vodka
1 cup malibu rum

Makes just over a gallon. If your group is larger (and thirsty) just double or tripple the recipe.

(TWO THUMBS UP)

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
Thanks to you for all of these recipes. I've never been to Gallettes or tasted a "real" YellowHammer, but came up with a recipe based on all your ideas. Our sailing club had a tailgate/happy hour party after sailboat races that clubs from along the Tennessee River sailed in. The tailgaters represented Bama, UT, the Barn, Missouri, Georgia and Wisconsin (for heaven's sake). Our Bama tailgate served YellowHammers and fried Conecuh sausage. The recipe I used --that everyone loved, by the way -- is:

1 gallon of pulp-free orange juice
1 large can of pineapple juice (Dole or whatever)
1 cup of amaretto (less expensive, mixing kind is good)
2 cups of clear, light or silver rum (different brands call it different colors)

Have a large pitcher handy. Pour half of the gallon of orange juice into the pitcher. Add the amaretto and rum to the original plastic orange juice jug. Fill the rest of the jug with pineapple juice. Put the top on the jug and shake well to mix. It's really awesome!

You have enough of everything to make a second jug. I know that several drink-by-drink recipes include vodka, but several people had to drive after the tailgate, so I went with the volume recipe. It is an extremely mellow drink.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Hammer time again!!
I heard someone speak of their Yellow Hammer recipe a few days ago. Sounds like a lazy man's version but here it is:

1 gallon of tropical Hawaiian Punch
1 fifth of Ever Clear

(sounds potent) I haven't tried it, I am just passing the recipe on.

I think I will stick to my recipe above. Tastes great and I can still see when the game is over.

:p_eek:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.