Per ESPN, Brian Kelly top candidate for UT job

bamamanatpurdue

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2000
Midland, MI
www.et.cmich.edu
I have some insight on Brian Kelly. I'm a professor at Central Michigan U. Kelly is an excellent coach, but his teams had some major discipline problems while at CMU. His team ran the spread and he is a good defensive coach. But, I don't really see him fitting in well in the SEC.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I have some insight on Brian Kelly. I'm a professor at Central Michigan U. Kelly is an excellent coach, but his teams had some major discipline problems while at CMU. His team ran the spread and he is a good defensive coach. But, I don't really see him fitting in well in the SEC.
If that's true, then he is the LAST coach UT needs right now...

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Dodd's blog on cbssports reporting same thing, saying Cincy asst. coaches quietly making phone calls looking for jobs. If Kelly to ut is true, timing is the problem with Cincy's schedule ending 12/6 and the ut AD saying he'll have a new coach by 12/1.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
if it's true, here's hoping the SEC swallows him whole, spits him out and tramples on him for the next 3 years.

Nothing personal. Just hoping to see ut wallow in misery for a decade like we've done.

UAinPHILLY

1st Team
Aug 15, 2006
I would not want to see Kelly at a school like lsu or uf where there is a built in recruiting base, because I think he is an excellent coach. However, at ut, as others have mentioned, recruiting nationally is SO important that unless he can put together a staff that can really recruit, he will probably have trouble. If Dabo doesn't get the Clemson job he would be the first person I would be on the phone with if I was Kelly (assuming Kelly ends up at ut).

Outlaw

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 14, 2001
Boston,Ma
Given the way things work at UT and the Knoxville PD being on the payroll, he may be the perfect pick. The problem with Kelly goes to a murder investigation involving several CMU players during his tenure there.

The story involved the beating death of an individual outside of a club. Several CMU players were implicated. During the investigation, Kelly apparently counseled his players to be honest but not forthcoming. Word of this leaked, especially after complaints from the investigation PD about the players' cooperation. Kelly then reversed himself and issued a edict to his team to be forthcoming.

The implications of this story are pretty obvious. How it plays out will be interesting. I am impressed that UT kept the "Bruce Pearl, rat" story from getting more airplay, so they may be able to squelch this as well. But for those that have heard the story and are familiar with UT player's discipline issues, it seems like a marriage made in he!! at least for the citizens of Knoxvegas.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I heard this morning that not long after ESPN reported this, as 'Reported by the Knoxville News-Sentinel', they wound up pulling it off the ticker because the Knoxville News-Sentinel denied reporting it......

Mike Leach's name won't go away, and neither will Butch Davis. Depending on who you listen to, the job will be Leach's to LOSE at the interview process, which he is very capable of doing. Also depending on who you listen to, it doesn't matter that Davis "turned the job down", and I think we all know why....

Simply put, Kelly is NOT the guy who Hamilton wanted to bring in. He may on the list, but he's not at the top. He's the guy you get if Leach, Davis, Kiffen, etc. turn you down.....

FWIW

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.