Per ESPN, Brian Kelly top candidate for UT job

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
Just saw this announced on ESPN. Most of us have said a while back that Brian Kelly is the most realistic hire for UT. It will be interesting to see if Kelly shows interest.

Bhammer

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007
Birmingham
Just saw this announced on ESPN. Most of us have said a while back that Brian Kelly is the most realistic hire for UT. It will be interesting to see if Kelly shows interest.

Obviously espn didn't get the aforementioned email explaining to everyone that Jesus, Moses and Noah are already "in the bag".

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I am not sure how well he would recruit in the SEC, but he could hire assistants to help him there. He is one of the best coaches out there that you might never have heard of. He has made losers into winners everywhere that he has gone, and he has 2 Div II national championships. He wins with a hard nosed defense philosophy.

They could do a lot worse...

http://blog.mlive.com/fireupchips/2007/11/former_cmu_coach_brian_kelly_t.html

Former CMU coach Brian Kelly to replace Lloyd Carr at Michigan?
Posted by Steven Rosso November 20, 2007 12:51PM
Brian Kelly, football coach at CMU from 2004-2006, is being mentioned as a possible replacement for outgoing coach Lloyd Carr at Michigan. Joe Schad of ESPN put Kelly in his time (top) three replacements for Carr, while the Sporting News came out today ranking Kelly as the #1 choice.
I would not put a lot of stock into ESPN knowing anything. TSN along with ESPN had Kelly going to Michigan as the number one candidate. :rolleye2:

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I would not put a lot of stock into ESPN knowing anything. TSN along with ESPN had Kelly going to Michigan as the number one candidate. :rolleye2:
Kelly was never really considered for the UM job, but that might be because CRR was so receptive. I would not be surprised to find out that he was on their list, but he was never their #1 option...

Pluck and Grit

All-SEC
Jul 12, 2001
Delray Beach, FL

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I am not sure how well he would recruit in the SEC, but he could hire assistants to help him there. He is one of the best coaches out there that you might never have heard of. He has made losers into winners everywhere that he has gone, and he has 2 Div II national championships. He wins with a hard nosed defense philosophy.

They could do a lot worse...
They certainly could. Kelly would be a solid hire, maybe not the "home run" kinda guy the fan base is hoping for but a good hire nonetheless.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Kelly is a tremendous coach. The only negative issue for him is that he's a spread guy on offense, and that offense is starting to get played out, particularly in the SEC. Florida is still doing well with a variant but take a look at Florida's talent.

The people I trust to help me evaluate coaches say there are few better, but that recruiting could be an issue. He would definitely have to hire a staff savvy at it.

A rumor on one of the Vol boards this week mentioned he might have potential NCAA issues, but I've never heard of anything substantive to back that up.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Coach Brian Kelley is current HC of the U. of Cincinnati and having some pretty good success there. Apparently a winner wherever he's gone, though he's no homeboy for tenn or the south, not that it matters. ut could do worse.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I still think they're hot & heavy after Butch Davis. I think they're gonna offer to make him the highest paid coach,easily!
No way! Everybody in the SEC knows that paying good money for a head coach is just a desperation move on the part of a bunch of fanatics...:rolleye2:

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
I posted this on another thread but it applies here so I will paste it in;

That would suit me just fine. Brian Kelly is a good football coach who may be able to make the move to the SEC but he will definitely be at a disadvantage in the recruiting area.

Considering UcheaTs present situation they better start putting together some solid recruiting classes or they are in for trouble for years to come and I am not sure Kelly can work that magic.

:BigA: RTR!

Last edited:

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
I think Brian Kelly would be a solid hire, but I wonder if that will be enough for UT fans. I think Alabama with Saban and Arkansas with Petrino changed the landscape. I think now the "SEC powers" (which UT still wants to be) probably feel a certain amount of pressure to hit a homerun, make a big splash, etc. with their hire. Even though Kelly would be a good hire, he won't make the splash that former NFL coaches Saban and Petrino made, he is not the "hot" lower level coach that Meyer was, so will this create a negative impression of UT? I think the UT AD may have these type concerns. Of course it didn't bother UGA when they hired Richt, but I didn't really count UGA as an SEC power before Richt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.