New Orleans Bowl- Deandre Brown Injured

Alakablamo

1st Team
Nov 24, 2001
Upstate, SC
Re: New Orleans Bowl- Deandre Brown

I'm not saying this in any type of sarcastic or funny way:

Doesn't this remind you of some of the leg breaks during horse races? Maybe we are finally getting to the point where we are training athletes past their breaking point and instead of sprains or tears now we are just seeing limbs snap.
It's been thought that Prothro may have injured his leg earlier in that UF game, but not enough to fully break until a few plays later.

I hope DB has better luck (and surgeons) than Prothro had in his rehab, and I wish this young man the very best.

CrimsonBleedRed

All-American
Nov 24, 2007
United States

It absolutely brought tears to my eyes, and, my son, who is one of Deandre's friends from Ocean Springs High School literally had to leave the house he was so upset.

'Dre was the best high school football player I've ever seen, bar none, and he simply set the woods on fire at USM this season. His first catch of the game last night was his 67th, which broke the school season record.

Hopefully medical science can find some way to perform a miracle and he'll recover over time. It's going to be very sad indeed if that was Deandre's last play on a football field.

Just for everyone's info, he had broken the leg previously and had screws in it. The fracture occurred right in the same area.

alasippi
The way I look at it is this, if Prothro has been able to make it back to the field, then I doubt Brown will. I hope I am wrong, I really do, but gut feeling after watching the play is that, it pains me to say this, but I think Brown's career is over.

Marvelous talent, and I would be sadden if that was the last time we see Brown on the field.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md

I thought Prothro's problems came about bc of all the post op infections. I remember a couple NFl players who have completely snapped a leg and then returned. (Stubblefield?, DL, 49ers) I can't recall any of the skill players being able to come back. I have to think if a 275lb lineman can come back from it then it is at least possible for a 180lb receiver.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008

Although I am a lifelong Bama fan, I actually graduated from Southern Miss. I had the chance to watch the UAB-Southern Miss game in Hattiesburg from the 3rd row behind the bench. We were probably 15 feet from the players.

Deandre Brown is a special athlete and bigger than advertised in person. He is also very animated and a heck of a leader.

I saw the injury live on TV and don't plan to watch the replay. Part of me wishes broadcasts would not replay traumatic injuries like that; somehow it seems distasteful. I just hope Deandre makes a recovery and plays football again, because you can tell how much it means to him.

I think Deandre Brown has a good chance to play in the NFL if he can beat this injury and return to the field. In my opinion, he is a little less polished than Julio Jones, but has the same raw skills and natural ability.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Didn't see the incident, but it's really sad for this kid. I wish him all the best.

R

rolltidescott

I wonder if he had an undiagnosed stress fracture that finally gave away. One of my daughters kept complaining about pain during her early basketball years. (She played school ball and AAU - travel ball). Turned out she had FOUR stress fractures in one shin... 6 weeks in a cast did wonders.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

You really feel for the young man. It is a hard thing to happen to any player, but he looked like he was going to be special on the field. He already was very good, but he had the chance to be great. Hope he will be special in something other than football.

R

rolltidescott

Good game with loud, excited crowd.

I wonder if Troy managed not to lose money on this bowl? The last time they went to this bowl, they LOST $15,000 after expenses.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Thanks very much for the link.

I'm not a doctor by any means, but I was surprised to read the doctor thinks he can come back and play football again. The break looked awful. As many have said, it reminds us of Prothro's injury.

This is great news. I wish DeAndre and fast and full recovery. I will have him in my prayers.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world

USM beat Troy State, plain and simple. They had TSU on their heels all night. It was not a give away, unless you call gettng outplayed "giving it away."
I dont know how being up 27 - 17 in the fourth qtr is being outplayed but if thats your definition of being outplayed,Id love to be outplayed every game. There were a few plays in the fourth that changed that game around and gave the momentum back to usm.The wide rec'vr having the first and then coming back behind the line and losing the first down. The dropped pass at the 20 by the same rec'vr. And a couple of play calls that were iffy.Like the 3rd and 1 and Troy passes. The 3rd and long(10 or 12yards) and they run the wildcat play. Also At the beginning of the third qtr they completely shut usm down,three and out at least twice. Definitely not outplayed.

Jazzman

1st Team
Feb 13, 2001
Wetumpka, Alabama
My prayers go out to DeAndre. I hate to see that just as much as I hated to see Prothro go through the same injury.

As far as Troy giving it away, it didn't happen. They were well-matched and both teams played hard. It went into overtime. Southern Miss won. Neither team has anything to be ashamed about.

Merry Christmas...

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Thanks very much for the link.

I'm not a doctor by any means, but I was surprised to read the doctor thinks he can come back and play football again. The break looked awful. As many have said, it reminds us of Prothro's injury.

This is great news. I wish DeAndre and fast and full recovery. I will have him in my prayers.
The difference is, I don't think Brown's was a compound fracture. As you recall, Pro had a compound fracture and the broken bone actually dug into the field/dirt after the break, which led to all the complications---no doctor in the world could've fought off all the crap that a bone that's been in the dirt has to deal with to heal...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Although I am a lifelong Bama fan, I actually graduated from Southern Miss. I had the chance to watch the UAB-Southern Miss game in Hattiesburg from the 3rd row behind the bench. We were probably 15 feet from the players.

Deandre Brown is a special athlete and bigger than advertised in person. He is also very animated and a heck of a leader.

I saw the injury live on TV and don't plan to watch the replay. Part of me wishes broadcasts would not replay traumatic injuries like that; somehow it seems distasteful. I just hope Deandre makes a recovery and plays football again, because you can tell how much it means to him.

I think Deandre Brown has a good chance to play in the NFL if he can beat this injury and return to the field. In my opinion, he is a little less polished than Julio Jones, but has the same raw skills and natural ability.
I love Julio and thought he should have been AP SEC Freshman of the Year hands down. But Deandre has more natural ability than anyone I've ever seen. 6'6" 230 pounds with 4.45 speed just isn't human. It's like Larry Fedora said when comparing Deandre with Dez Bryant, the first team AP All-American, who Fedora coached as Off. Coordinator at Oklahoma State..

"They're both great....Deandre's bigger and faster"...

bamamanatpurdue

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2000
Midland, MI
www.et.cmich.edu
I don't see how these injuries happen. Simple landings and hard plants are breaking legs like match stickes. I was a paratrooper and we would hit the ground hard, really hard. I rarely saw such injuries and we would land in some rugged terrian with a lot of gear.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

I have to think if a 275lb lineman can come back from it then it is at least possible for a 180lb receiver.
DeAndre's closer to your 275-lb lineman. 6'6", 230. Gigantic guy. A freak of nature & a very good player.

The local paper had the same article as the Clarion-Ledger, suggesting that he'll be back. I'm more skeptical...but hopeful. DB's fun to watch.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.