What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Warren Zevon "Roland the headless Thompson gunner" Passaic NJ 1982. Hard to beleive it was Sept of 2003 that cancer got him.

LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z1P2BezuZA
The notes on this video are pretty interesting....

Band Personnel:

Randy Brown - Lead guitar / vocals
Joe Daniels - Drums
Larry Larson - Bass
John Wood - Lead & Slide guitar

"Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" is a song composed by Warren Zevon and David Lindell and performed by Zevon. It was first released on his 1978 album Excitable Boy. It is the last song he ever performed in front of an audience, on the Late Show with David Letterman, before his death in 2003.

Zevon met co-writer Lindell in Spain, where the latter was running a bar after a stint working as a mercenary in Africa. Always interested in the darker side of life, Zevon decided to collaborate with Lindell on a song about a mercenary.

Roland is a Norwegian who becomes embroiled in the Nigerian Civil War and Congo Crisis of the late 1960s. He earns a reputation as the greatest Thompson gunner, a reputation that attracts the attention of the CIA. Roland is betrayed and murdered by a fellow mercenary, Van Owen, who blows off his head. Roland becomes the phantom "headless Thompson gunner" and eventually has his revenge, when he catches Van Owen "in a bar room drinking gin." Afterward, he continues "wandering through the night." Other violent conflicts of the succeeding decade are said to be haunted by Roland, including Ireland, Lebanon, Palestine, and Berkeley, California. The final line is "Patty Hearst/Heard the burst/Of Roland's Thompson gun/And bought it."

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You have excellent taste, sir. Have been a HUGE fan since their emergence in the early 70's. Was fortunate to see them live in Tampa in '72 in fact.

I found this version from what I consider to be the finest of their albums:

(notes from the You Tube page)
Originally written as titled "Someday Baby Blues" by Sleepy John Estes in 1935. Muddy Waters later named the variation of the song later titled "Trouble No More" in 1955. The ABB arranged this on their first album and appeared on Live at Fillmore East and also Eat A Peach (1972).

Duane Allman (RIP 1946 - 1971) - Lead guitar and Slide
Gregg Allman - Vocals and organ
Dickey Betts - Lead guitar
Berry Oakley (RIP 1948 - 1972) - Bass
Butch Trucks - Drums
Jaimoe - Drums

Lyrics:
Don't care how long you gone
I don't care how long you stay
It's good kind treatment
Bring you home someday
Someday baby, you ain't gonna trouble ... poor me ... anymore!
Oh, give me trouble no more

Now you keep on bettin'
That the dice won't pass
Well I know and I know ... whoa ... oh, you're livin' too fast.
Someday baby, you ain't gonna trouble ... poor me ... anymore!
Yeah...

I'll tell everybody ... in my neighborhood
You're a kind little woman ... but you don't do me no good
But someday baby, you ain't gonna trouble ... poor me ... anymore!

I know you're leaving ... if you call that's gone
Oh without my lovin' ... yeah
Oh, you can't stay long.

Well good bye baby ... Lord take my hand
I don't want no woman, no ... who can't have no man
Trouble no more
=============

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, formersoldier71! Hope you will post again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.