*** QB Phillip Sims Commits to ALABAMA ***

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
guys, what does this mean concerning our chances with his teammate, Evan Hailes?
He does not have a firm offer from us just yet. We are definitely showing interest, but we want to see how he moves in a camp this summer before we have extend an offer.

I do not know how that one will play out -- honestly it all depends on how he performs in T'town this summer -- but I imagine that you have to figure that if we want him, we will probably be able to get him.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is by far the best news I've heard all week. As I was telling my friend earlier this morning, the log jam of top-notch QBs that we'll have on campus next year will be absolutely unreal: McElroy, Jackson, McCarron, Sims, and Sims. This is a GREAT problem to have, especially after seeing what unfolded in 2002 and 2004. No names need to be spoken as I don't want to say anything at all negative about guys who have given their all for the Tide. But to have the talent level to be at this point that far in depth is, needless to say, GREAT...RTR

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I wasn't expecting this one. Amazing pickup. And Roll Tide Phillip

Elwood Crimson

1st Team
Jul 27, 2004
here it says: "Sims said he was told he'd be the only QB signee in 2010"

So does this mean the staff is without a doubt planning on using Blake Sims at other positions? I understand many people thought this already, but this makes it seem like Blake has been recruited specifically for another position
What is going on with this guys recruitment? First we hear the comment about Star changing positions, then he says that he will be the only QB Bama signs. Doesn't sound like the type of promises or recruiting associated with CNS. What is going on here?

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
What is going on with this guys recruitment? First we hear the comment about Star changing positions, then he says that he will be the only QB Bama signs. Doesn't sound like the type of promises or recruiting associated with CNS. What is going on here?
You have to take most recruiting articles with a grain of salt. All sorts of contradictory statements come out all the time. In this case it is what it is... Phillip Sims is committed to Alabama. ;)

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
What is going on here? Nothing, really.

Star Jackson supposedly changing positions was an Internet rumor started by a few Barner boards because they, quite frankly, have nothing better to do with their time than to get worked up over Alabama's back-up quarterback. Obviously, there is no validity whatsoever to this point, and I have seen nothing to indicate that Jackson will do anything but remain at quarterback.

As for Blake, he was not really recruited as a quarterback. He plays quarterback in high school, and we have told him we will give him a look at quarterback at Alabama, but the expected outcome among all parties involved that Blake will likely end up somewhere in the defensive backfield. Bottom line, for all intents and purposes, Blake Sims is not a quarterback commitment.

And that's it. Blake Sims is really a DB commitment, Phillip Sims is our only quarterback commitment, and that will do it for us. All of the interest we were expressing in guys like Heaps, Montana, and others will now almost immediately subside, and come the first Wednesday of February there will only be Phillip Sims.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I also want to reiterate the question about Broadway...any thoughts beyond what Airborne said recruiting gurus?
Broadway has gotten a lot of attention with Alabama fans, but I really have not seen any evidence to date that would indicate he is a priority for our staff.

Yes we have recruited him as a quarterback, but it is hard to say exactly where he fell on the pecking order. It was not as if we targeted him solely, he was one of about six different quarterback prospects that we really pursued early on. I think the fan base got a bit carried away with the notion that were just automatically going to go into LSU's backyard and "steal" him away, but again there has never really been any indication that we ever thought Broadway was the guy we wanted. At best, he was just one of many quarterback prospects that we actively recruited in the early stages.

Now, at any rate, I think Sims is a good bit better QB prospect than Broadway because he is (1) bigger and (2) a much better passer. Trying to piece things together, I think Sims was probably the top priority on our quarterback board. I imagine we had Heaps rated higher overall, but obviously that was going to be an almost impossible pull out of Washington. Realistically speaking, though, I think the staff evaluated all of the guys that they thought they had a reasonable chance of getting, and Sims was the top priority on that board. To that extent, Broadway was probably a back-up plan at best.

Moving forward, Broadway is an athletic guy who may still find a spot somewhere. I suppose it's possible that he could still be signed like Blake Sims, as a guy who will get a look at quarterback but who will ultimately end up at a skill position -- though even that is probably a stretch now, given we already have Blake Sims filling that role -- but he is not going to be brought in as a pure quarterback recruit.

We'll have to see how it plays out from here. I wouldn't be overly shocked if Broadway still ended up in this class somehow, but at this point I think I may be mildly surprised.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Is Phillip Sims a better prospect than Star or AJ?
Well we don't want to go into automatically branding these kids the first Heisman winner at Bama and I will say that I think Star and AJ will get their shots to lead this team. But from what I have seen Sims has the potential to be better than both of them. He is not a burner but is mobile, has a gun with a great touch, he has a head for the game, and is a leader and a winner. The sky is the limit with this kid.

Don't tell the Barn though they are convinced that all of their QB's could start at Bama....seriously.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.