Recipes
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

On using buttermilk instead of milk and egg while frying catfish

I use milk and egg to wet a catfish filet before I roll it in flour while a friend of mine uses buttermilk . What is the difference ?

Can you do the same for shrimp , oysters , chicken...etc...etc...etc ?
    I hate auburn. I hate everything about them. The colors, the city , the school , their teams and their fans. The word auburn is no longer a part of my vocabulary. The school is called West Georgia School of Outhouse Plumbing.

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: On using buttermilk instead of milk and egg while frying catfish

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    I use milk and egg to wet a catfish filet before I roll it in flour while a friend of mine uses buttermilk . What is the difference ?

Can you do the same for shrimp , oysters , chicken...etc...etc...etc ?
    Buttermilk is "richer" in flavor and supposedly helps the meal/flour hold to the food better. Or at least that what's Paula Deen said...
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

Smile Re: On using buttermilk instead of milk and egg while frying catfish

I have heard people complain that egg wash on chicken makes the coating harder. I use egg wash and cracker crumbs for oysters but they aren't in the hot oil as long as a piece of chicken and cracker meal is different than plain flour. For fried chicken, which I get too little of lately, I like to soak my pieces in buttermilk that I have seasoned. It seems to soak into the chicken giving more flavor and the acid will tenderize the meat, not that chicken needs tenderizing. You could use buttermilk for shrimp, fish, rabbit, squirrel or cutlets. You can also use plain milk or better yet evaporated milk that you have seasoned. Try adding mustard to the milk, try adding mustard to the egg wash as well. I guess my advice would be to try both ways and decide for yourself which you like better and which is less trouble.

On shrimp and fish I usually coat with yellow mustard then dredge in my super secret fish meal which is 2 parts flour, 1 part corn flour, corn starch, black & red seasoning, bit of onion powder and paprika.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation First Team bama_belle's Avatar

My dad started putting an egg in his buttermilk (when he fries chicken) and it seemed to make a crispier crust.

I tried this (egg in buttermilk) on frozen okra and fried it and it tasted like fresh okra.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutider View Post
    I have heard people complain that egg wash on chicken makes the coating harder. I use egg wash and cracker crumbs for oysters but they aren't in the hot oil as long as a piece of chicken and cracker meal is different than plain flour. For fried chicken, which I get too little of lately, I like to soak my pieces in buttermilk that I have seasoned. It seems to soak into the chicken giving more flavor and the acid will tenderize the meat, not that chicken needs tenderizing. You could use buttermilk for shrimp, fish, rabbit, squirrel or cutlets. You can also use plain milk or better yet evaporated milk that you have seasoned. Try adding mustard to the milk, try adding mustard to the egg wash as well. I guess my advice would be to try both ways and decide for yourself which you like better and which is less trouble.

On shrimp and fish I usually coat with yellow mustard then dredge in my super secret fish meal which is 2 parts flour, 1 part corn flour, corn starch, black & red seasoning, bit of onion powder and paprika.
    Good point about the cracker meal, my Dad's fried fish were the best I've ever had and he wouldn't use anything but cracker meal.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant