Question: On using buttermilk instead of milk and egg while frying catfish

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
I use milk and egg to wet a catfish filet before I roll it in flour while a friend of mine uses buttermilk . What is the difference ?

Can you do the same for shrimp , oysters , chicken...etc...etc...etc ?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I use milk and egg to wet a catfish filet before I roll it in flour while a friend of mine uses buttermilk . What is the difference ?

Can you do the same for shrimp , oysters , chicken...etc...etc...etc ?
Buttermilk is "richer" in flavor and supposedly helps the meal/flour hold to the food better. Or at least that what's Paula Deen said...

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have heard people complain that egg wash on chicken makes the coating harder. I use egg wash and cracker crumbs for oysters but they aren't in the hot oil as long as a piece of chicken and cracker meal is different than plain flour. For fried chicken, which I get too little of lately, I like to soak my pieces in buttermilk that I have seasoned. It seems to soak into the chicken giving more flavor and the acid will tenderize the meat, not that chicken needs tenderizing. You could use buttermilk for shrimp, fish, rabbit, squirrel or cutlets. You can also use plain milk or better yet evaporated milk that you have seasoned. Try adding mustard to the milk, try adding mustard to the egg wash as well. I guess my advice would be to try both ways and decide for yourself which you like better and which is less trouble.

On shrimp and fish I usually coat with yellow mustard then dredge in my super secret fish meal which is 2 parts flour, 1 part corn flour, corn starch, black & red seasoning, bit of onion powder and paprika.

bama_belle

1st Team
Oct 21, 2005
My dad started putting an egg in his buttermilk (when he fries chicken) and it seemed to make a crispier crust.

I tried this (egg in buttermilk) on frozen okra and fried it and it tasted like fresh okra.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I have heard people complain that egg wash on chicken makes the coating harder. I use egg wash and cracker crumbs for oysters but they aren't in the hot oil as long as a piece of chicken and cracker meal is different than plain flour. For fried chicken, which I get too little of lately, I like to soak my pieces in buttermilk that I have seasoned. It seems to soak into the chicken giving more flavor and the acid will tenderize the meat, not that chicken needs tenderizing. You could use buttermilk for shrimp, fish, rabbit, squirrel or cutlets. You can also use plain milk or better yet evaporated milk that you have seasoned. Try adding mustard to the milk, try adding mustard to the egg wash as well. I guess my advice would be to try both ways and decide for yourself which you like better and which is less trouble.

On shrimp and fish I usually coat with yellow mustard then dredge in my super secret fish meal which is 2 parts flour, 1 part corn flour, corn starch, black & red seasoning, bit of onion powder and paprika.
Good point about the cracker meal, my Dad's fried fish were the best I've ever had and he wouldn't use anything but cracker meal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.