Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gameday Traditions

Anyone want to give me pointers on things that Alabama fans do that are unique to 'Bama? I want to hit the ground running doing all the little things right when I get to my first game. This goes for football and basketball, please.

For example:

At OU basketball games we'd usually hold a newspaper in front of our faces and shake them while the opposing team was being introduced, shouting "who cares?" as each name was given.

Before football games the Pride of Oklahoma would always give a free show in the North Oval. That was generally kind of fun once a season.

Classes were always canceled the Friday of OU-Texas* and canceled the following Monday after a win in the OU-Texas* game.

Footballs kicked into the stands by opposing teams were always handed up the stadium and thrown over the wall.

Anyhow, what kind of good fun should I be on the lookout for at football and basketball games?

2. Advertisement
    Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

Smile Re: Gameday Traditions

Drunk fans of opposing teams are handed up the stadium and thrown over the wall.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Gameday Traditions

If you don't know the words to the fight song and Rammer Jammer, learn them now.

It's been nearly 20 years since I was a student at The University, so I'm sure things have changed for students and the kind of "fun" they stir up in the student section. What hasn't changed is the cheers. Most of them are easy and you'll pick up on them quickly, so don't worry, but for God's sake get the words to Yea, Alabama correct.

On home gamedays, there's tons of stuff to do on The Quad. Lots of vendors, games, The Million Dollar Band & cheerleaders do their thing, and Big Al leads the MDB into the stadium about an hour prior to kickoff.

The team walks into the stadium (Walk of Champions) approximately 2 hours before kickoff and it's become a must-do, so line up early and scream loudly.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutider View Post
    Drunk fans of opposing teams are handed up the
    stadium and thrown over the wall.
    We almost-ALMOST!-got the Kansas State Powercat over in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    If you don't know the words to the fight song and Rammer Jammer, learn them now.

It's been nearly 20 years since I was a student at The University, so I'm sure things have changed for students and the kind of "fun" they stir up in the student section. What hasn't changed is the cheers. Most of them are easy and you'll pick up on them quickly, so don't worry, but for God's sake get the words to Yea, Alabama correct.

On home gamedays, there's tons of stuff to do on The Quad. Lots of vendors, games, The Million Dollar Band & cheerleaders do their thing, and Big Al leads the MDB into the stadium about an hour prior to kickoff.

The team walks into the stadium (Walk of Champions) approximately 2 hours before kickoff and it's become a must-do, so line up early and scream loudly.
    Learning a fight song with more than two words in the first verse might be a challenge.

I've downloaded the fight song and turned the first verse into a ringtone-hopefully that'll give me some extra help memorizing. Question: Why the Georgia Tech hatred?

Rammer Jammer's a fun one.

I assume there's a chant with one side of the stadium yelling "Roll" and the other yelling "Tide" right? I should be able to get on top of that one pretty quickly.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    Learning a fight song with more than two words in the first verse might be a challenge.

I've downloaded the fight song and turned the first verse into a ringtone-hopefully that'll give me some extra help memorizing. Question: Why the Georgia Tech hatred?

Rammer Jammer's a fun one.

I assume there's a chant with one side of the stadium yelling "Roll" and the other yelling "Tide" right? I should be able to get on top of that one pretty quickly.
    Tech's in there because we used to play them regularly oh so many moons ago (before they left the conference in the mid-60's).

The cheer that alternates sides of the stadium isn't "Roll Tide" it's "Ala-Bama."

You'll get it. Oh, and you need to learn the correct way to sing "Sweet Home Alabama." In particular, you've got to get that "Roll Tide Roll" squeezed in after "Sweet Home Alabama" during the chorus.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Tech's in there because we used to play them regularly oh so many moons ago (before they left the conference in the mid-60's).

The cheer that alternates sides of the stadium isn't "Roll Tide" it's "Ala-Bama."

You'll get it. Oh, and you need to learn the correct way to sing "Sweet Home Alabama." In particular, you've got to get that "Roll Tide Roll" squeezed in after "Sweet Home Alabama" during the chorus.

"Sweet home Alabama (Roll Tide Roll)
    "Where the skies are so blue
    "Lord I'm comin' home to you?"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

One tradition the student section engages in, (that I could do without) is when the opposing team starting players are announced, the students yell "sucks!" after each player's name.
    “For just in proportion as a people are ignorant, stupid, debased, corrupt, exposed to violence within and dangers from without, the power necessary for government to possess in order to preserve society against anarchy and destruction becomes greater and greater and individual liberty less and less, until the lowest condition is reached, when absolute and despotic power becomes necessary on the part of the government and individual liberty extinct." Jabez L. M. Curry

BamaNation All-American BigAl5833's Avatar

Also the Alabama version of Dixie Land Delight

Spend my dollar (on beer)
    Parked in a holler neath the mountain moonlight (Roll Tide)
    Hold her uptight, make a little lovin (All Night)
    Bad spellers of the world, Untie

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post

"Where the skies are so blue
    "Lord I'm comin' home to you?"
    The students do something similar with the Alabama song "Dixieland Delight."

Spend my dollar (Students: "on beer!")
    Parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight.
    Hold her up tight.
    Make a little loving (Students: "all night!")
    Fits my life, oh, so right: my dixieland delight.
    “For just in proportion as a people are ignorant, stupid, debased, corrupt, exposed to violence within and dangers from without, the power necessary for government to possess in order to preserve society against anarchy and destruction becomes greater and greater and individual liberty less and less, until the lowest condition is reached, when absolute and despotic power becomes necessary on the part of the government and individual liberty extinct." Jabez L. M. Curry

BamaNation All-American Bama4Ever831's Avatar

Last year, the stadium announcer tried to start a new tradition or at least one that was not there during my freshman year. After a first down he would say, "First Down Alabama!" The crowd would then shout "Roll Tide!" It didn't take all that well.

Another tradition(not sure that you can call it a tradition) that I am not too fond of is that for big games if you are in the student section you pretty much have to get there 2 hours early to get a good seat. It is the worst on those 11:30 kickoffs after a long Friday night. Those you usually can get there an hour early, but if you don't live on campus getting there at 10:30 is even a hassle.

The best tradition is just getting to the quad early and tailgating for a few hours before the game. Trust me, you won't be alone.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    One tradition the student section engages in, (that I could do without) is when the opposing team starting players are announced, the students yell "sucks!" after each player's name.
    I'm so glad I can't hear that from my seats. How classless.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

I could post our lyrics for Rocky Top, but that would get me put in time out.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.