Gameday Traditions

Frozen Sooner

1st Team
Jan 14, 2009
Anyone want to give me pointers on things that Alabama fans do that are unique to 'Bama? I want to hit the ground running doing all the little things right when I get to my first game. This goes for football and basketball, please.

For example:

At OU basketball games we'd usually hold a newspaper in front of our faces and shake them while the opposing team was being introduced, shouting "who cares?" as each name was given.

Before football games the Pride of Oklahoma would always give a free show in the North Oval. That was generally kind of fun once a season.

Classes were always canceled the Friday of OU-Texas* and canceled the following Monday after a win in the OU-Texas* game.

Footballs kicked into the stands by opposing teams were always handed up the stadium and thrown over the wall.

Anyhow, what kind of good fun should I be on the lookout for at football and basketball games?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
If you don't know the words to the fight song and Rammer Jammer, learn them now.

It's been nearly 20 years since I was a student at The University, so I'm sure things have changed for students and the kind of "fun" they stir up in the student section. What hasn't changed is the cheers. Most of them are easy and you'll pick up on them quickly, so don't worry, but for God's sake get the words to Yea, Alabama correct.

On home gamedays, there's tons of stuff to do on The Quad. Lots of vendors, games, The Million Dollar Band & cheerleaders do their thing, and Big Al leads the MDB into the stadium about an hour prior to kickoff.

The team walks into the stadium (Walk of Champions) approximately 2 hours before kickoff and it's become a must-do, so line up early and scream loudly.

Frozen Sooner

1st Team
Jan 14, 2009
If you don't know the words to the fight song and Rammer Jammer, learn them now.

It's been nearly 20 years since I was a student at The University, so I'm sure things have changed for students and the kind of "fun" they stir up in the student section. What hasn't changed is the cheers. Most of them are easy and you'll pick up on them quickly, so don't worry, but for God's sake get the words to Yea, Alabama correct.

On home gamedays, there's tons of stuff to do on The Quad. Lots of vendors, games, The Million Dollar Band & cheerleaders do their thing, and Big Al leads the MDB into the stadium about an hour prior to kickoff.

The team walks into the stadium (Walk of Champions) approximately 2 hours before kickoff and it's become a must-do, so line up early and scream loudly.
Learning a fight song with more than two words in the first verse might be a challenge. :D

I've downloaded the fight song and turned the first verse into a ringtone-hopefully that'll give me some extra help memorizing. Question: Why the Georgia Tech hatred?

Rammer Jammer's a fun one.

I assume there's a chant with one side of the stadium yelling "Roll" and the other yelling "Tide" right? I should be able to get on top of that one pretty quickly.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Learning a fight song with more than two words in the first verse might be a challenge. :D

I've downloaded the fight song and turned the first verse into a ringtone-hopefully that'll give me some extra help memorizing. Question: Why the Georgia Tech hatred?

Rammer Jammer's a fun one.

I assume there's a chant with one side of the stadium yelling "Roll" and the other yelling "Tide" right? I should be able to get on top of that one pretty quickly.
Tech's in there because we used to play them regularly oh so many moons ago (before they left the conference in the mid-60's).

The cheer that alternates sides of the stadium isn't "Roll Tide" it's "Ala-Bama."

You'll get it. Oh, and you need to learn the correct way to sing "Sweet Home Alabama." In particular, you've got to get that "Roll Tide Roll" squeezed in after "Sweet Home Alabama" during the chorus.:)

Frozen Sooner

1st Team
Jan 14, 2009
Tech's in there because we used to play them regularly oh so many moons ago (before they left the conference in the mid-60's).

The cheer that alternates sides of the stadium isn't "Roll Tide" it's "Ala-Bama."

You'll get it. Oh, and you need to learn the correct way to sing "Sweet Home Alabama." In particular, you've got to get that "Roll Tide Roll" squeezed in after "Sweet Home Alabama" during the chorus.:)

"Sweet home Alabama (Roll Tide Roll)
"Where the skies are so blue
"Lord I'm comin' home to you?"

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One tradition the student section engages in, (that I could do without) is when the opposing team starting players are announced, the students yell "sucks!" after each player's name.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
Also the Alabama version of Dixie Land Delight

Spend my dollar (on beer)
Parked in a holler neath the mountain moonlight (Roll Tide)
Hold her uptight, make a little lovin (All Night)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

"Where the skies are so blue
"Lord I'm comin' home to you?"
The students do something similar with the Alabama song "Dixieland Delight."

Spend my dollar (Students: "on beer!")
Parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight.
Hold her up tight.
Make a little loving (Students: "all night!")
Fits my life, oh, so right: my dixieland delight.

Bama4Ever831

All-American
Sep 13, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
Last year, the stadium announcer tried to start a new tradition or at least one that was not there during my freshman year. After a first down he would say, "First Down Alabama!" The crowd would then shout "Roll Tide!" It didn't take all that well.

Another tradition(not sure that you can call it a tradition) that I am not too fond of is that for big games if you are in the student section you pretty much have to get there 2 hours early to get a good seat. It is the worst on those 11:30 kickoffs after a long Friday night. Those you usually can get there an hour early, but if you don't live on campus getting there at 10:30 is even a hassle.

The best tradition is just getting to the quad early and tailgating for a few hours before the game. Trust me, you won't be alone.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You must first realize that there are significant differences between football games in "The North" and football games in "The South", so prepare yourself.
Here are only a few:

Stadium Size:
NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.
SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor:
NORTH: Statues of founding fathers.
SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:
NORTH: Also a physics major.
SOUTH: Also Miss America..

Cheerleaders:
NORTH: If you are slightly coordinated, you make the varsity squad.
SOUTH: You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets:
NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.
SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Women's Accessories:
NORTH: Chapstick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.
SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Jack Daniels/Crown. Money is not necessary -- That's what dates are for.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:
NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, Because they have classes on Friday.
SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see The few hung-over students that might actually make it to class and throw up on their floor.

Parking:
NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.
SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for The weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:
NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
SOUTH: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave to the folks up north.

Tailgating:
NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.
SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews' Band," who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium:
NORTH: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in.
SOUTH: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions:
NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.
SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Jack Daniels/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played:
NORTH: Stands are still less than half full.
SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

Smell in the Air After the First Score:
NORTH: Nothing changes.
SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of Jack Daniels/Crown.

Commentary (Male):
NORTH: "Nice play."
SOUTH: "*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs."

Commentary (Female):
NORTH: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."

Announcers:
NORTH: Neutral and paid.
SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:
NORTH: The stadium is emptying out.
SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker while somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon. Planning begins for next week's game.

Welcome to The South. :wink: :BigA:

Frozen Sooner

1st Team
Jan 14, 2009
You must first realize that there are significant differences between football games in "The North" and football games in "The South", so prepare yourself.
Here are only a few:

Stadium Size:
NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.
SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor:
NORTH: Statues of founding fathers.
SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:
NORTH: Also a physics major.
SOUTH: Also Miss America..

Cheerleaders:
NORTH: If you are slightly coordinated, you make the varsity squad.
SOUTH: You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets:
NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.
SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Women's Accessories:
NORTH: Chapstick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.
SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Jack Daniels/Crown. Money is not necessary -- That's what dates are for.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:
NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, Because they have classes on Friday.
SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see The few hung-over students that might actually make it to class and throw up on their floor.

Parking:
NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.
SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for The weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:
NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
SOUTH: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave to the folks up north.

Tailgating:
NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.
SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews' Band," who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium:
NORTH: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in.
SOUTH: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions:
NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.
SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Jack Daniels/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played:
NORTH: Stands are still less than half full.
SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

Smell in the Air After the First Score:
NORTH: Nothing changes.
SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of Jack Daniels/Crown.

Commentary (Male):
NORTH: "Nice play."

Commentary (Female):
NORTH: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."

Announcers:
NORTH: Neutral and paid.
SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:
NORTH: The stadium is emptying out.
SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker while somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon. Planning begins for next week's game.

Welcome to The South. :wink: :BigA:
Heh.

Er, you may have surmised my undergraduate alma mater from my user name. Though not part of the traditional south, I can assure you that Oklahomans know how to handle college football. :D

My first home game (vs. Arkansas State) was a bit shocking to this kid who had most recently watched a live football game with about 750 people for the Alaska State Championship. The largest crowd I'd ever seen for football was at a Chickens/Broncos preseason game.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
And don't forget to visit our zoos. We have a lot of the same animals here that are in the North, of course. But if you look on the plates on the outside of the cages, you'll see not only a description of the animal, you'll probably also find a nice recipe. :biggrin2: :wink:

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
Do any of you older guys remember the early '60 tradition of giving scores of other games during times out. Everyone always waited for the Slippery Rock Score and cheered when they were winning and boo'd when losing. That always put a smile on my face for some unknown reason!:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.