Best Ever SEC Linebackers

TideinSavannah

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 3, 2002
Mobile, AL
Pretty good article--not that I agree with the writer's rankings, but Bama has 4 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 10. Some of the guys we currently have may one day shake up this list.
http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/the_best_ever_the_sec_linebackers/6405

2. LEE ROY JORDAN, ALABAMA: Lee Roy makes it as a two-way player. One game described his college career and that was the Orange Bowl in 1963 when Alabama beat Oklahoma. Lee Roy played every snap, graded out 100 percent as Bama’s center on offense and made 30 unassisted tackles as the middle linebacker. Until the day he died, Bear Bryant raved about what Lee Roy Jordan did in that game and about what a special player he was on both sides of the ball. “He was one of the finest football players the world has ever seen,” Bryant said. Jordan was an All-American center and middle linebacker in college. In the pros, Jordan was a five-time All-Pro selection with the Dallas Cowboys. He intercepted 32 passes in his career, third best in NFL history for a linebacker. He is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and is expected to be named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame sometime in the next couple of years.
3. CORNELIUS BENNETT, ALABAMA: The winner of the Lombardi Trophy in 1986, Bennett was a three-time first team All-American (1984-86). He finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1986 and was selected the Most Valuable Player in the Southeastern Conference. In his Alabama career, Bennett recorded 287 tackles and had 21.5 sacks. Drafted in the first round by the Indianapolis Colts with the second pick in the 1987 draft, Bennett was a five time Pro Bowl selection and a three-time first team All-Pro. He was anmed to the NFL All-Decade team of the 1990s. Bennett was a first ballot selection to the College Football Hall of Fame.
4. DERRICK THOMAS, ALABAMA: The all-time sacks leader for the SEC (52), Thomas was the scariest pass rusher the league has ever seen. A unanimous first team All-American in 1988, Thomas won the Butkus Award and finished 10th in the Heisman Trophy balloting after a record-setting season with 27 sacks. Drafted as the fourth pick in the first round by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989, Thomas made the Pro Bowl nine straight years and was a three-time first team All-Pro selection and second team All-Pro three times. He had 126.5 sacks in his NFL career. He died of complications from a traffic accident in 2000. Thomas is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.
5. WOODROW LOWE, ALABAMA: Like Cornelius Bennett, Lowe was a three-time first team All-American (1973-75) and a three-time first team All-SEC pick. He started all four years at Alabama on teams that won four SEC championships (1972-75) and one national championship (1973). He had 315 tackles in his Alabama career, which ranks third all-time in school history and he still holds the single season standard with 135 tackles. Known for his outstanding speed and ability to pursue, Lowe was a hard hitter even though he was considered under-sized. Lowe spent 11 years in the National Football League, playing his entire career with the San Diego Chargers.
8. BARRY KRAUSS, ALABAMA: One of the great photos ever to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated is Barry Krause meeting Penn State’s Mike Guman at the height of his leap over the top of the pile at the goal line of the 1979 Sugar Bowl to preserve a 14-7 win for Alabama’s national champions. Krause was a two-time All-SEC (1978-79) choice and a first team All-America in 1978. A native of Pompano Beach, Krauss was a first round draft pick of the Baltimore Colts. He played 11 years of pro football.

Last edited:

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
Lee Roy Jordan not in the nfl hall of fame...........what in hell is wrong with that picture?! :mad:
and another .......no mention of Robbie Jones or Thomas Boyd??

Last edited:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
In my lifetime I've never seen an SEC LB dominate a game like Cornelius Bennett.

Derrick Thomas is the best pass rushing LB I've seen.

My Dad has always said he would take Lee Roy Jordan over any LB he's seen in college, but Mr. Jordan was before my time (at Alabama).

No matter how you look at it, we've had some outstanding LB's at Alabama. Debating who our best LB is has always been one of the things I've enjoyed discussing here on Tide Fans.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I had a quadruple bypass years ago in Orlando. It was performed by Dr. Jeffrey Bott, he was Wilbur Marshall's back-up at Florida. The guy looked like he could have still played. I thought it was a pretty odd connection, linebacker to surgeon. Dr. Bott joked that WM had a lot to do with him choosing a career in medicine. :)

On subject, I just don't see how anyone could play LB any better than Lee Roy Jordan did, especially considering that he was also an outstanding center on offense.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is another generational debate, but I have to agree with Tommy, LeeRoy Jordan was the best collegiate LB I have ever seen. Biscuit was right on his heels though. We have had some great ones.

#1. Derrick Thomas
#2. LeRoy Jordan
#3. Cornelius Bennett
#4. E. J. Junior
#5. Woodrow Lowe
#6. Barry Krauss
#7. Keith McCants
#8. DeMeco Ryans
#9. Dwayne Rudd
#10. Antonio London
#11. Randy Scott
#12. Lemanski Hall

These BAMA Linebackers are the ones I remember most. Each one played in the NFL.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I had a quadruple bypass years ago in Orlando. It was performed by Dr. Jeffrey Bott, he was Wilbur Marshall's back-up at Florida. The guy looked like he could have still played. I thought it was a pretty odd connection, linebacker to surgeon. Dr. Bott joked that WM had a lot to do with him choosing a career in medicine. :)
Do I remember right in my ever-aging mind that Joe Kines was DC @ UF during Wilber's era? Seems like they ran more or less a box & one type deal, where the other 10 had assignments & Wilber did whatever suited his fancy @ the time. He was awesome.

Some *great* ones listed in this thread, several of whom I saw play. Fun to ponder.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'd have Johnnie Cooks in there somewhere. He was a phenomenal middle linebacker at State back when they were chasing the SEC title for a few years.

I think the writer definitely must have considered E.J. a defensive end or he'd most certainly be there.

I think Mike Hall is a pretty under rated backer as well for Bama.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Speaking of Steve Kiner, anyone remember what he said to Coach Bryant after a Bama-Tennessee game that Coach Bryant used as a motivational tool for a number of years??

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Speaking of Steve Kiner, anyone remember what he said to Coach Bryant after a Bama-Tennessee game that Coach Bryant used as a motivational tool for a number of years??
I sure do! I can't remember ver batim, but something to the tune of "Coach, them boys in crimson don't play with as much heart as they used to."

That sound about right?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'd have Johnnie Cooks in there somewhere. He was a phenomenal middle linebacker at State back when they were chasing the SEC title for a few years.

I think the writer definitely must have considered E.J. a defensive end or he'd most certainly be there.

I think Mike Hall is a pretty under rated backer as well for Bama.
You're exactly right about Mike Hall, Coach Bryant said he could always tell when Mike made a tackle because the ball carrier would suddenly be going backwards.

Another one that doesn't get proper recognition is Wayne Davis, he was all over the field.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
No question in my mind. The best college pure football player--not just linebacker--that I ever saw was LeRoy Jordan.

RTR
That would be Lee Roy, and he gets my vote every time.( pardon my nit-picking ;))

Had to have been stated after the 1969 woodshed beating they gave us 41-14 at Legion Field.:frown:

i_live_4_bama

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2003
Columbus, MS
The fact that DT #55 isn't on this list makes it quite laughable. He didn't even list him as honorable mention. He has the top 10 then 23 honorable. So he's listing the top 33 SEC LB's of all time and doesn't put DT in there????? That is just plain stupidity.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.