*** TE Harrison Jones Commits to Alabama ***

time_4_the_TIDE

All-SEC
Apr 28, 2009
Mentone, AL
Welcome aboard Harrison!!! I find myself in a moment here so bear with me. After the past 2 recruiting classes and now this one forming I cant help but smile. Now I am not an older fan I am a child of the early 80's. But I have always been a BAMA fan, I am one of 32 grandchildren and the we dont have a single Aubbie in our immediate family, we put them up for adoption. And I was born and lived in B'ham till 95 and have been to many many games at Legion Field and BD Stadium. And in 92' my dad knew we were going to win the NC so we went to 6 reg season games, the very 1st SECCG, and the NC game in New Orleans. And after that experience it only deepened the color of my blood. Yet since that wonderful year I have gotten older and older but my beloved FB team has had some very terrible years. I have been so tired, as I am sure the rest of you have been, of the let down after let down. Now...I dont really know how to feel with nothing but top class after top class coming in. I find myself now almost vibrating with excitement and anticipation now with VT coming closer and closer. It is almost the same feeling I had as a child looking up at the Super Dome before the Miami game. And I find it kinda funny all these years later and I here I FINALLY am again feeling confident about the team and the program's direction for the next few years. It is a wonderful change from the past 15 years and ALL I have to say is ROLL TIDE and keep em' coming Saban!!!

Last edited:

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
I remember, not too long ago, when recruiting a tight end was almost an after thought with the Bama brain trust and most of the preeminent TEs would not even give Bama a look.

Another example of how Tlde is changing, under Saban and company.

Welcome Harrison... :BigA: Roll Tide!

crimson_blood

All-American
Jul 22, 2006
Helena, AL
I don't think he is a project by any means. Harrison is a tough and solid football player like his brother. Notice how quietly his brother has moved from off the charts to #1 RG in one year. The Jones' brothers will be players that make a difference for Bama and in more ways than just on the football field.

Positives:

1. He is a character kid that will lead on and off the field.
2. He is intelligent and well schooled, the transition to the college class will be an easy on for him.
3. He has played tightend for several years, so instead of learning a position he will be refining his technique.
4. He, like his brother, is coachable. Tell him to gain weight, he will gain weight. etc. etc.
5. Like most Saban recruits, he is a team first guy and will buy in to the program. (as opposed to Ambles, Cobbs, etc, that Saban kinda let go)
6 He is a good basketball player and he has great hands. Basketball players make great tight ends.
7. The most important, his commitment makes Lance Thompson look like an even bigger tool with his fence around Memphis comments :rolleyes:.
You, my friend, "get it." Excellent post.

As a few have already mentioned, the days of a guy stepping on campus and playing immediately are pretty much over. I hate it when I see posters say something like "He doesn't look very big or fast...he must be a project..." (not bashing you individually DW). They're ALL projects...nobody's a sure-fire prospect just because they have bigtime talent and measureables (see Zo Lawrence). I know it sounds corny and cliche and all...but it ain't all about the 40 times and bench press numbers when you're looking for guys to build your program. There's something to be said for going after character guys off the field and in the classroom. He's coachable and an "effort" guy...I can't tell you how important that is. When you land a kid with the intangibles and character like Jones, you've struck gold. And he's actually a really good player, too. I said it in the other thread - he reminds me of Dallas Clark.

You need kids like H. Jones in your program. Nothing but positives about his character and work ethic from those around him. He's a lifelong Bama guy...he loves it and has been waiting for the opportunity. I am ecstatic that he's coming on board.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Sure, more talented prospects are on the board, but the pickup makes a lot of sense. I don't think Wilson Love will be a TE/H-back, so we needed to add another one to Vogler in this class.

I think he'll come in ahead of where Smelley was, and we saw how he forced his way into playing time the last half of last season.

RTO, what position do you think W. Love will Play?

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I don't think he is a project by any means. Harrison is a tough and solid football player like his brother. Notice how quietly his brother has moved from off the charts to #1 RG in one year. The Jones' brothers will be players that make a difference for Bama and in more ways than just on the football field.

Positives:

1. He is a character kid that will lead on and off the field.
2. He is intelligent and well schooled, the transition to the college class will be an easy on for him.
3. He has played tightend for several years, so instead of learning a position he will be refining his technique.
4. He, like his brother, is coachable. Tell him to gain weight, he will gain weight. etc. etc.
5. Like most Saban recruits, he is a team first guy and will buy in to the program. (as opposed to Ambles, Cobbs, etc, that Saban kinda let go)
6 He is a good basketball player and he has great hands. Basketball players make great tight ends.
7. The most important, his commitment makes Lance Thompson look like an even bigger tool with his fence around Memphis comments :rolleyes:.
#7..... The others are gravy.

Fury

Suspended
Dec 16, 2008
So this guy is a project? Just guessing anyways, He doesnt seem very big, or fast... Whats are the positives? Will this guy play next year like Cade Foster? Or will I not hear this guys name till 2012??
To be fair, at the beginning of last year, I would have thought Brad Smelley would have been a "project." Now I can't wait to see him in action again! Maybe Smelley spoiled me, but I'm highly optimistic of Harrison Jones giving a few people a surprise-look as well.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
So this guy is a project? Just guessing anyways, He doesnt seem very big, or fast... Whats are the positives? Will this guy play next year like Cade Foster? Or will I not hear this guys name till 2012??
C'mon dude. Do you think the recruiting sites are more informed than our staff when it comes to evaluating talent? :conf2:

Jones is an excellent prospect and we're fortunate to have him. :BigA:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Have to say I put a lot more trust in Coach Saban and his staff evaluating recruits than those goobers from the recruiting services.

Maybe Lance Thompson can use those recruiting service evaluations to stuff in the holes in the wall around Memphis to try to stem the flow of talent out of state.

RTR

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Sure, more talented prospects are on the board, but the pickup makes a lot of sense. I don't think Wilson Love will be a TE/H-back, so we needed to add another one to Vogler in this class.

I think he'll come in ahead of where Smelley was, and we saw how he forced his way into playing time the last half of last season.
Agreed on both points. Harrison does need to add some bulk but he's a fantastic receiver who's very much in the same mold as Smelley, only Harrison has been playing the position longer in high school than Brad had.
Welcome aboard Harrison!!!! RTR!!!! :BigA:

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Tight end Harrison Jones commits to Alabama - The Bama Beat - al.com
A 6-foot-4, 232-pound tight end/wide receiver, Jones reportedly held scholarship offers from Arkansas, Florida State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Stanford and Vanderbilt. Like his brother, Harrison is an academic standout at Evangelical Christian School, carrying a grade point average of 3.7 and a stellar ACT score of 29.

"Coach Saban was very encouraging and told me that I was making a great decision," Jones said in a statement. "He said it is an exciting time to join the program and I will have some great years at Alabama. I will work very hard to make him glad he has given me this incredible opportunity. ... (Saban) told me that he was recruiting me because I have the tools and potential to have a successful career at Alabama. He would like for me to put on some weight and be a TE/H-back. He said I have the frame, skills and athleticism to be exactly what they need."

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia
I could of sworn when I checked the recruiting services late last night that one of them had him listed as a 4* recruit. I could be wrong but I'm almost curtain of it and now they both have him listed as a 3*. All in all it really doesn't matter, cause (you know the saying) if CNS wants him..., I just find it kind of funny.

Welcome to Alabama Mr. Jones I look forward to seeing you play on Saturdays!

Harrison Jones - Rivals.com

Scout.com: Harrison Jones Profile

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
I could of sworn when I checked the recruiting services late last night that one of them had him listed as a 4* recruit. I could be wrong but I'm almost curtain of it and now they both have him listed as a 3*. All in all it really doesn't matter, cause (you know the saying) if CNS wants him..., I just find it kind of funny.

Welcome to Alabama Mr. Jones I look forward to seeing you play on Saturdays!

Harrison Jones - Rivals.com

Scout.com: Harrison Jones Profile
ESPN has him as a 4 star and the #8 TE in the country.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
ESPN has him as a 4 star and the #8 TE in the country.
Harrison Jones - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN
Four-star prospect Harrison Jones (Memphis, Tenn./Evangelical Christian) has committed to sign as part of Alabama's Class of 2010 over North Carolina, ESPN's JC Shurburtt reports.

He told ESPN affiliate Web site CrimsonConfidential.com via email, "After a long time of prayer and careful consideration, I have given my verbal commitment to Coach Nick Saban to play football at the University of Alabama. Coach Saban was very encouraging and told me that I was making a great decision. He said it is an exciting time to join the program and I will have some great years at Alabama. I will work very hard to make him glad he has given me this incredible opportunity."
Harrison Jones - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN
Jones is a good tight end and has a bit of a yard dog feel to his game. He is very active in the passing attack and is a productive target. He has good hands. Will tend to catch the ball into his body a little more than you would like to see, but he makes enough tough grabs that you feel confident about his hands. He displays good concentration as a receiver. He makes the over-the-shoulder grab, can make catches near the sideline and will take a hit to make the catch. He does a good job of adjusting to the ball and is a quarterback's friend. Runs good routes. Displays above-average straight-line speed.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
C'mon dude. Do you think the recruiting sites are more informed than our staff when it comes to evaluating talent? :conf2:

Jones is an excellent prospect and we're fortunate to have him. :BigA:
I don't listen to what the recruiting sites say. I watch the tapes that they have posted for us to watch and make our own assessments. I listen to what the mods on this site have to say about recruits. That's about it. I didn't say ANYTHING about recruiting sites.

Like RTO said.
Sure, more talented prospects are on the board, but the pickup makes a lot of sense
And That's what I figured. Just trying to get other opinions about this guy. Im glad we picked him up though. Im not complaining :biggrin:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Wonderful player, the stockpiling of offensive weapons continues. Soon we will have an offense almost as unstoppable as our defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.