Chicken Wings

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Marinate wings in buttermilk then dredge in seasoned flour.
Deep fry the wings and drain on paper.
Use a big bowl and in batches toss a few wings at a time in Crystal Hot Sauce.

If you like hot wings you should like this. Different taste than Tabasco, hot with a slight sweetness to it.

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Here's a more healthy version by Alton Brown. I have made it several times and it's good! I love all kinds of wings :p

Buffalo Wings Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Ok, I have a question that maybe some of you chefs could help me out with. The instructions say:
Alton Brown said:
Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes
This makes it seem like you're supposed to cook the wings on the cooking rack over parchment paper. But to me, it would make sense to remove the cooling rack and cook the wings directly on the paper. I'll be using one of those air-bake cookie sheets. Thoughts?

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Ok, I have a question that maybe some of you chefs could help me out with. The instructions say:

This makes it seem like you're supposed to cook the wings on the cooking rack over parchment paper. But to me, it would make sense to remove the cooling rack and cook the wings directly on the paper. I'll be using one of those air-bake cookie sheets. Thoughts?
Cooking them on a rack will keep them from laying in chicken grease as they cook. It will allow the sauce to stick to them better.

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just wanted to let everyone know that Alton Brown's steamed/roasted wing recipe is good stuff! I used salted butter and left the kosher salt out, but man they were good.

I wasn't too impressed with the look of steamed wings, but once roasted, they were fine. I cooked them on the rack over parchment paper (I could have saved the $5 on the paper and just cooked them over aluminum foil IMO) and they weren't greasy in the least.

If you're looking for some "light" wings that don't sit heavy on the stomach, these are a good bet.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Just wanted to let everyone know that Alton Brown's steamed/roasted wing recipe is good stuff! I used salted butter and left the kosher salt out, but man they were good.

I wasn't too impressed with the look of steamed wings, but once roasted, they were fine. I cooked them on the rack over parchment paper (I could have saved the $5 on the paper and just cooked them over aluminum foil IMO) and they weren't greasy in the least.

If you're looking for some "light" wings that don't sit heavy on the stomach, these are a good bet.
All that paper is for is to make clean up easier. You are right you could have used foil.

I just used foil instead of paper. These are close enough to fried that you hardly know the difference. Dress them anyway you want, Buffalo style, Jerk, barbecue,...whatever...it's all good :p

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.