Coaches "Cold Seat" Rankings

P. C. Pachyderm

All-SEC
Sep 28, 2006
Pell City, AL
Why should coaches on the hot seat get all the attention?

I thought it might be fun to rank the top ten coldest coach seats in the land. (I did this mostly off the top of my head, so I'm sure I left someone deserving out.)

(Note: BCS conferences only.)

#1 Nick Saban (Alabama). This is really a no-brainer. No fan base in the nation is happier with its coach than Bama nation. Alabama fans have gained a reputation nationally for turning quickly on coaches, but this is largely a myth. Even with very average coaches, Tide fans have been supportive and at least somewhat patient, and they are well aware what they have now with Coach Saban. It would take at least two mediocre seasons for Saban’s seat to warm up even to room temperature.

#2 Urban Meyer (Florida). Urban has about as frigid a seat as a coach’s posterior can occupy. So why is he #2 instead of #1? Florida fans are not as starved for success as Bama fans have been over the past fifteen years or so. So Meyer’s “fan adoration meter” is not as off-the-charts as Saban’s. Plus, if a significant drop-off occurs next season there will be whisperings that Meyer looks a lot more ordinary without the greatest player in modern college football history. Not fair, perhaps, but inevitable.

#3 Mack Brown (Texas). If Vince Young had not handed him that BCS championship win over USC a few years back, Coach Brown’s tail end might be thawing out a good bit by now. “Underperforming” is a term that comes to mind. But with a national championship in his pocket, his pick of Texas high school talent every year, and a succession plan in place, Brown is going nowhere.

#4 Bob Stoops (Oklahoma). Like Mack Brown, Stoops has a crystal ball in the trophy case and is currently in zero danger from restless natives. If his teams continue to underachieve in BCS bowl games, this could change down the road.

#5 Pete Carroll (USC). Yes, Carroll is catching flack about the annual egg-laying ceremony conducted on a randomly rotating basis at stadiums around the PAC-10. But it would take quite a collapse to bring any real heat to bear on his britches.

#6 Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech). The perennial failure to win a national title sticks in the craw of fans (could this be the year?). But realistically—BCS championship or not—Coach Beamer is at Va Tech as long as he wants to be.

#7 Steve Spurrier (South Carolina). Coach Visor gets some grumbling every now and then, but he’s plenty safe. Seriously, you’re going to fire Steve Spurrier and get … whom? For USC East to fire Spurrier would essentially be a signal that no one is ever going to win big there. As long as the Ball Coach roams the sideline, there is always hope.

#8 Paul Johnson (Georgia Tech). Johnson has made Tech relevant again. The relationship could sour if opponents begin to unravel the Johnson offense or if lousy defense keeps the program from really turning the corner.

#9 Brian Kelly (Cincinatti). Kelly is the best coach Cincy has ever had or ever will have—and they know it. Kelly might be even higher in the rankings except that his gruff personality and his public complaining about the University’s pace on facility upgrades could at some point tick off the wrong person. From the fans’ perspective, though, Kelly is sitting on ice. Unfortunately, he is likely to leave of his own accord soon enough.

#10 Butch Davis (North Carolina). Before this season, Davis had icicles clustered around his posterior. While a poor start in 2009 has notched up the temperature a few degrees, there’s no real thaw in sight. NC fans know they are lucky to have him and unlikely to find anyone else nearly as good.

Honorable mention: Jim Tressel, Bobby Petrino, Steve Sarkisian, Gary Pinkel.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Nice thread! :Joker_PDT_43:

I'll add Rich Brooks for the same primary reason you listed for Paul Johnson - relevance, even if it is a relative relevance.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I would nominate Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, and Kyle Whittingham. It would take a monumental turn of events for any of these three to get fired.

MasterShake

All-SEC
Feb 19, 2005
Dothan, Alabama, United States
I'd put Jim Harbaugh and Chris Peterson on that list. I think Harbaugh is safer than Carroll, Spurrier and Pinkel. Chris Peterson is probably the safest coach in the nation. If Peterson had a ultimate meltdown and managed to go 4-8 next season, he'd still get a contract extension. If the same happened at Bama, we'd all be looking in another direction.

I'm baffled by the Butch Davis selection........

My top 10 would be.....

1. Chris Peterson
2. Urban Meyer
3. Brian Kelly
4. Nick Saban
5. Mack Brown
6. Pete Carroll
7. Kirk Ferentz
8. Gary Pinkel
9. Mangino
10. Frank Beamer

Last edited:

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
Got to agree on Harbaugh and Peterson, though I will add that Chip Kelly of Oregon has certainly made great strides with the fan base of Oregon since the opening game disaster.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Remember...recent success means nothing in college football anymore. We gave Shula a contract extension less than a year before we fired him. You have to have shown a track record of success either at your current school...or at previous schools or positions in addition to your recent success. This is why Coach Saban has frostbite...because he is a proven winner...and is currently winning.

Problem with South Carolina is that they will never have enough talent to be consistent. They have the coaching to be good...but you have to have the total package to be great. We got by with Shula because we had a darn good defense...but that can only carry your team so far. Just ask Fulmer and Tuberville...who got the boot because their offenses kept them from winning games they should have won...even if the defenses were good enough.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Someone is going to throw a fist full of money at Brian Kelly, the kind of contract you can't refuse and he will become HC at a major university. That is when we will see if he can turn a program around, handle a more rabid fan base and put a team in the BCSCG.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Those guys DEFINITELY belong on the list if you open it up to non-BCS conferences.
Oops. I am guilty of scanning instead of reading. Scanning is easier... :blush:

And, yeah, Brian Kelly really looks like he is the real deal. Someone's going to get themselves a winner, and I'm afraid it might be Notre Dame.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Someone is going to throw a fist full of money at Brian Kelly, the kind of contract you can't refuse and he will become HC at a major university. That is when we will see if he can turn a program around, handle a more rabid fan base and put a team in the BCSCG.
I have met him, but have no idea whether or not he could handle that kind of responsibility. I know a few others who know him who are shocked that he has been a successful as he has at Cincy. I mean, for a coach to have his career take off that much in his 40's is uncommon. He was a big time winner at GVS, but GVS is a long ways from Cincy, and an SEC school is as big a jump. Yeah, I know he stepped into Central Michigan for a few year in between, but (aside from salary), the programs weren't much different.

His salary went from a little over $100k/yr in 2006 to over $1MM/year when he took the Cincy job. Good for him...

But he has never needed to manage a fan base or a program's expectations...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Petrino and Spurrier with colder seats than Les Miles? Not a chance.
You will probably hang on til the end. There was a good bit of unrest after the Washington game. You were close to losing to MSU and UGA. Your team is grossly underperforming relative to its talent. I thought Crowton was a good OC. I'm beginning to wonder.

You are not denying that there is at least a little unrest are you ?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.