Question: Should Notre Dame join a conference?

If I am Notre Dame, I'm laughing at this question, and here is why:

-We don't have to split any bowl money, TV money, or any other revenue with other teams in a conference.

-We have a great clause in the BCS that overwhelmingly favors us. Outside of that, we share bowl bids with the Big East

-We can dictate our own schedule

-We have a network in our back pocket

Those factors alone should tell you why Notre Dame will never join a conference in football. It isn't in their best interest at this point, and it never will be. In all other sports, they are a member of the Big East.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
Should they? Probably not.

But as a fan I like the fact that if Bama doesn't have a shot at the National Championship we can still set a goal of winning the SEC west and then the SEC Championship.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
and if so, which one?

I'm sure this has been beat to death, but humor me.

besides when i create-a-team on NCAA i have to replace an existing team in order to play my created team on dynasty mode, i always pick ND so i can make my own schedule and rack up top ranked teams :biggrin2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd like to see them join the Big 10.

I seriously doubt they would because of all the impact that would have, however imagine having Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State and Notre Dame in the same conference plus a championship game? I'm not saying they would compare to the Big 12 or SEC, however tradition wise? I think they would clearly have the edge and it would get my attention.

UA_Fan87

1st Team
Sep 15, 2008
Cullman, Alabama
If I am Notre Dame, I'm laughing at this question, and here is why:

-We don't have to split any bowl money, TV money, or any other revenue with other teams in a conference.

-We have a great clause in the BCS that overwhelmingly favors us. Outside of that, we share bowl bids with the Big East

-We can dictate our own schedule

-We have a network in our back pocket

Those factors alone should tell you why Notre Dame will never join a conference in football. It isn't in their best interest at this point, and it never will be. In all other sports, they are a member of the Big East.
The one thing you don't mention is all of the extra money the school would get if they were in a conference. I do think they should have to be in a conference to ever get into a BCSNC game, but other than that I don't really care if they are in one or not.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
The should have already joined the big headed 11. This would make a conference championship game more easily worked out. If the Big 10 and the Pac 10 won't adopt a Conference championship game then they should be excluded from BCS play.

The should have already joined the big headed 11. This would make a conference championship game more easily worked out. If the Big 10 and the Pac 10 won't adopt a Conference championship game then they should be excluded from BCS play.
In defense of the PAC-10, all teams in that conference play each other so there is a true conference champion each year due to the round robin nature of their schedule.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
In defense of the PAC-10, all teams in that conference play each other so there is a true conference champion each year due to the round robin nature of their schedule.
Learn something new every day. So they only play 2 non-conferences games a year? Interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.