An Open Letter to Alabama Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Class is not an easily definable term. Most dictionaries list over 25 possibly meanings of the word, yet none seem to fit the bill in regards to the attitude envisioned by most fans. Many (if not all) fanbases claim to have it and are quick to point out when others don't. Now, more than ever, is the time to show who we really are. If we want to be known as one of the classiest groups of fans in the college football world, now’s the time to put our money where our mouth is. The whole world is watching, who do we want to be?

Success on the field, as in life, brings out the best and worst in people. It’s a duality we all live with. When we’re face down in a ditch, we don’t want our enemies to point it out. But when we’re on the verge of being anointed as God’s gift to football, most of us can’t let results speak for themselves. We compulsively feel the need to rub our opponent’s faces in our success. Why?

My intention isn’t to single anyone out. Over the past 5 years on this site, I’ve said many things I regret. With age comes perspective. There’s never been a better time to be an Alabama fan. We seem to be entering into another “golden age” for our program. We have arguably the best coach in the country, followed closely by some of the best defenders to ever grace our campus and we may even have a Heisman winner walking amongst us after this weekend. A few days ago we dominated Florida for our 22nd SEC championship and Vegas has us as the odds on favorite to win an unprecedented 13th National Championship. Why aren’t we content to let those results speak for themselves?

I know it’s been hard these last 10+ years. It’s been unbearable at times. And I know it’s tempting to want to humiliate those who’ve tried to bring us down. But that’s not what class is, and it’s not who I want to be anymore.

I spent most of my life in Mississippi not fully understanding the rivalry with Auburn. I lived 2 miles from the state line separating God’s Country from Tennessee, and I grew up hating the color orange. For those of you wondering, my Dad and his family are from Tuscaloosa, so I never had a choice as to who I was going to root for, not that I'm complaining ;) I feel lucky that I was born into greatness. Now that I’ve moved to The Shoals, I understand the rivalry. What I don’t understand is why so many Alabama fans worry themselves over what other teams do.

Alabama doesn’t win or lose games based on who I am or what I do. I take pride in rooting for the Tide, but Rolando McClain doesn’t know my name. The Golden Rule is as old as time itself. It’s never changed, but it’s apparently easily forgotten. I’m not going to rag an opposing fan because his team lost a game because I know how it feels to be on the other side of that fence. Auburn could go 0-12, or 11-1, either way I don’t care, and it’s not going to affect me one way or the other. The only team I care about is Alabama. I don’t hate Auburn, I just don’t care about them. To me, irrelevancy is far more painful than hatred. I’m not suggesting we can’t occasionally tease our friends or family who root for other teams, but I don’t understand the joy some people get with degrading an opponent.

I’ve seen some things I’m not proud of over the last few weeks. I don’t want to come off as holier than thou because there have been times in the past when I haven’t been above name calling or gloating. But again, with age comes perspective. For as great of a person as Tebow is, I felt pleasure in watching Alabama ruin his chances at another Heisman and a shot at going 14-0. The difference between my reaction and that of others, is my gratification in seeing Tebow on the sideline came from the fact that we won, not in the fact that they lost. You can be happy you’re team won, but I find no joy in someone else’s misery.

In many respects, I feel vindicated with how our team has performed the last 2 years. The experts have been proven wrong, and in many cases some of our own fans have been proven wrong as we’ve watched our program resurrected from the dead. We’ve had a year full of “I told you so’s.” The time for that has passed.

It’s time we became the fanbase we expect other fanbases to be. It’s time to move past wanting revenge against the world. It’s time we stopped wanting to be the bully. It’s time to dominate our opponent, and shake their hand afterwards. It's time to practice what we preach. It’s time for class.

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for writing this. 100% agree. Most folks I meet don't associate Bama fans with class anymore. Take it for what it's worth.

Get 15

1st Team
Jun 13, 2009
Ohatchee, Alabama, United States
Good read, thanks for posting. You can say a light just went off. I will start to practice what I preach about class.

And just for the record I did not like to see Tebow crying on the sideline, but I did enjoy Florida losing and losing big.:BigA:

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Hey, I liked that, and I agree whole-heartedly. I never want to smack talk with other fans, but having to deal with some of those delusional Barnies, it's hard to stay quiet. But I agree with your post that showing class is a lot better and more mature than sinking down to their level. I think I would just rather listen to them rattle on about "if this hadn't happened" or "we outplayed y'all for 58 mins". I think it's best to let them wallow in their excuses and let them think that their team should have won.

I'm talking about the Barn, but it's the same with any team. As a Bama fan, I know we are on the way back up, if we're not there already, and it makes no sense to rub that in anybody's face. And whether they admit it or not, they know it too. That's why they hate us, so let 'em hate. I'll just grin and walk away.

time_4_the_TIDE

All-SEC
Apr 28, 2009
Mentone, AL
:cheers2:

Nice post...I too admit that I may have took it too far with the Tebow thing but I will admit I only did it once then quickly pulled it back. I was more excited at the fact that we had actually beat him than his display of emotion. There isn't any shame in what he has accomplished in CFB and what he has done for his team and CFB. I agree for me it has been a very long time since I have been this excited about our FB program. I am in the age range that remembers the last glimpse of what BAMA is supposed to be. I watched us win the last NC and have been firmly behind my team through all the despair and mediocrity. That being said now that we have had some success and are getting back to where every BAMA fan wants/thinks we should be, it is hard to contain the feeling of joy and relief that comes with the success finally. It has been so long since we were consistently relevant ans we all need to take a step back remember just how bad it has been. Take in the present and cherish it and not diminish the glory and prestige that comes with being a BAMA fan. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! SEC Champs once again!!!.........TTT Red Star!!!

DecadePlan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
There are some inherent truths that can also be derived from the OP. It took me a long time to understand these in my early posting years around the interwebz, but they are consistently true.

1. Just because your team is excellent or has an excellent history, you're not an expert on college football. Neither is that an automatic ticket for respect.

2. Vice versa - have had some great conversations with fans of teams that rarely win anything (other than my own fellow Aggies...sigh) and have found, on those boards, some of the most brilliant football minds anywhere.

3. Let the integrity and cleanliness of your board speak for itself. It's a way to do it and for most of you, it's the best way to do it. But it's not the only way. High browing folks who may lurk or, like me, register doesn't impress us nearly as much as a kind hello and welcome, or a thoughtful response to one of our posts.

4. Assumptions about new or strange posters are all-too-often inaccurate. I'm so guilty of this. My appearance here is not just because Bama is playing our main rival. I honestly feel this is a fascinating matchup and thought I might accidentally bring a third-party perspective to the discussion. I know my school's not "the point" for Bama right now - but give us the benefit of the doubt. I have watched McCoy all four years but I'm not his #1 fan. I try to be fair and confess to my own biases - but make no mistake. I'm here first as a fan of the GAME and waaaay second as a vested party.

4. You draw your lurkers out of the shadows by how you treat the worst of board participants not the sweetest ones.

5. YOu might or might not be the "best site anywhere" or the "classiest fans anywhere". That's subjective. What's objective is how you treat me, or any other new face in these here parts. That defines the greatness or lack thereof of Tidefans.com

For the record you've done a heckuva job in my two days. :)

ABamaManNTX

1st Team
Feb 6, 2005
I enjoyed reading your post. I do completely agree.

Bama's been there and done that many times and knows how to show CLASS. We're like the Yankees of college football, if you ask me. I'm sure ND would characterize themselves that way also. Texas, Michigan, USC possibly also.

The last 17+ years have been very tough. I'm not proud of Bama's violations that lead to probation. However, I do not think that the NCAA has been equitable in dishing out consequences. It's now time to move past all that and stay clean and continue the winning tradition.

Since I've lived in Texas for about 40 years there have been times that I have pulled for the Longhorns and years that I have pulled for the Aggies. I especially pulled for the Horns when Franchione was the Aggie coach even though my son is an Aggie. However, when they play I can sit back and watch them play and it really doesn't affect me.

But when Bama plays, because my blood is Crimson, I have butterflies and my stomach is churning and my Crimson Heart is pounding. The hype of the TV announcers makes my heart pound even more much like Murray Farrell used to do when he called play by play in the 1960's.

The first game I ever listened to a Bama game on radio was Bama vs Auburn (albarn) in 1957 the year prior to Coach Bryant returning to momma.

Coach Bryant always showed CLASS as Coach and AD at Alabama. I think that the Bama fan base as a result showed the same class. One instance of Bryant's exhibition of CLASS was when the Aggies beat Bama when Stallings was the Coach. He tried to lift Stallings up on his shoulders in congratulating him.

I was at the Cotton Bowl when Bama lost to Texas 14 to 12. That was tough! Even though I am sick of Texas beating Bama (0-7-1 record vs the Horns, I know that I've got to show the CLASS of Coach Bryant in rooting on the Crimson Tide.

I actually think that Webster's dictionary should have reference to Coach Bryant and the Crimson Tide when defining the word: CLASS. Our current Coach shows CLASS!

I do ask that All Bama fans/alumni show CLASS in our game against the Horns whether you are at the game, watching on TV, all interactions prior to and after the game. Congratulate them if they win and not gloat if we win.

Usually, the ones that may NOT show class are the ones that are polluted with too much Jack Daniels, etc. So, refrain from getting polluted and show CLASS win or lose.

Now, my prayer is that NO one gets hurt in this game: Longhorn or Crimson Tide. I continue to pray that the Longhorn players, coaches and fans have tears in their eyes after the game but remain healthy and wealthy. I pray that ALL Bama players, coaches and fans/alumni have smiles on their faces as broad as the state of Texas after this game. I also pray that ALL Bama fans and alumni not gloat after winning, but show the CLASS of Coach Bryant and Coach Saban!

Remember: win or lose, show Crimson Tide class!

P.S. This game is NOT going to be easy to win. It is going to be a tough: knock down-drag out type of game. The Longhorns are goooood or they would NOT be 13-0. I keep hearing on talk radio in Houston that this more than likely will be a Bama blow-out. Because of this the Longhorns are going to be so high for this game they will eat nails for breakfast, lunch and dinner prior to the game. Bama must be ready to SPIT FIRE and brimstone (whatever that is). This game is not going to be for the faint of heart.

Bama players and coaches, please have your A+ game for January 7.

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
Its pointless to say fans have class or don't have class. Every kind of person roots for every kind of team and will make themselves known. But our athletic department is classy, our coach is classy, and our players are especially classy.

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
Excellent post. Simply excellent.

I will not wax poetic about the meanings of class and where we as a fan base are or should be. I will leave it with a simple quote: "Act like you've been there before."

I consider it an honor and a privilege to have the team I support take the field at the Rose Bowl. In Pasadena I will not concern myself with who has class and who doesn't. I will act like I have been there before and I will applaud and respect Texas, win lose or draw.

As always, it goes without saying that even as I run from my wife who so desperately wants to iron my Alabama shirts, I shall support my school with the class and display the honor and represent the tradition that Alabama stands for.

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
Excellent post. Simply excellent.

I will not wax poetic about the meanings of class and where we as a fan base are or should be. I will leave it with a simple quote: "Act like you've been there before."

I consider it an honor and a privilege to have the team I support take the field at the Rose Bowl. In Pasadena I will not concern myself with who has class and who doesn't. I will act like I have been there before and I will applaud and respect Texas, win lose or draw.

As always, it goes without saying that even as I run from my wife who so desperately wants to iron my Alabama shirts, I shall support my school with the class and display the honor and represent the tradition that Alabama stands for.
Agree and well said.

And RedStar, great post.

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Very well put, Red. I agree. I do have to say though, that I do enjoy seeing Auburn lose. I just don't rub it in to folks. Heck, I've got family that are huge Aubs. Even though I'm happy with the result, I know that it is classless to rub it in and I know how it feels on their end. I usually just let the team do the talking and if we lose, I congratulate the opponents fans (no matter how much I may NOT want to). It's hard sometimes, but you'll feel better in the end and it's amazing how one fan can make a whole fan base look great (or horrible).

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I wish that I could take this open letter and post it on every Texas Board. Terrific post!

Unfortunately, many of our boards are not true representatives of The University of Texas. We are just as proud of UT as you are of Bama and represent ourselves well and respectful. As I have said in previous posts, I really believe that you're going to walk away from the Rose Bowl thinking to yourself about how much in common our two Universities have in common.

When I traveled to Columbus to see Texas play Ohio State, I left wondering what in the world my much loved sport of football had become. The way we were treated was worse than I can even begin to describe. Just suffice it to say that it was the only time in my life where I was actually concerned for my safety...and I'm a Viet Nam Vet...and that's not the way this game was intended.

I promise you that when Ohio State came to Austin the next year (and they do come- I'll give them credit- they were everywhere in Austin) we killed them with kindness to the extent that if you ask the tOSU fans who were their favorite fanbase, they reply how well they were treated in Austin.

I know that I could come to a Bama game and have hospitality extended. You could do the same in Austin. We really are much alike.
Very true. We are not the Auburns or the Tennessees or the LSUs of the world, where their every thought, blog, blurb or post boasts of their hatred for Bama. We are like most other schools in that we hate to lose and love to win, but it doesn't consume us. Thanks to Coach Saban, we have instituted, and honor, a "24-hour rule". To us that means we have 24 hours after a game to either congratulate or commiserate ourselves on a game's final score and to comment on the game as a whole and the individual plays, as well as the players and coaches on both sides that made that outcome possible. But afterwords we put that game behind us then move on to preparing for our next opponent. Regardless of the final scores though, we do not HATE our opponents. (Well, in the case of the barners, maybe just a little bit. :cool:)

In essence, the Universities of Alabama and Texas are very much alike. Even though we have good reason to gloat over our victories and rub our opponent's faces in it, we don't. We congratulate their players and coaches for a well executed game plan and for their good sportsmanship, regardless of how much actual truth there may be in those words.
Show respect for yourself, as well as your opponent. When at home, show their fans the hospitality that they deserve. Hopefully when we visit their stadium, they'll return the favor. That's how we define acting like you've been there before.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I for one, don't mind "most" celebrations on the field.......I did not care for Ingram and Julio and the big dramatic "Gator Chomp" on the sidelines. Spontaneous celebration is one thing........that was a bit over the top for me.

All I kept thinking was, if that had been kids from LSU or UT, I'd have been livid........we shouldn't mock another teams trademark..... that would be like fans from another school giving us their version of Rammer Jammer after a game we lost.........

A couple of sophmores, might explain it, but didn't excuse it..........

Javi and Ro are great examples of how to handle success on the field..... I will be sorry to see them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.