Are you expecting an easy win vs. Texas?

What kind of game are you expecting against Texas?

• Blowout for Bama (3 or more scores)

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • Comfortable win for Bama (2 scores)

Votes: 118 34.9%
  • Close win for Bama (1 score)

Votes: 156 46.2%
  • Toss-up

Votes: 37 10.9%
  • Texas win

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters

Orangechipper

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 14, 2009
I hate to relive 2008 again. But we beat BOTH the north and south champion that year. Something that could NOT be said about the 2 other teams in the tiebreaker.

Texas was the only one of the teams that didn't have a home game between the other two. Tech beat Texas at home. OU beat Tech at home. Texas beat OU at a neutral site with the stadium half-filled btwn both schools.

Texas was the only team of the three that played 0 FCS teams.

I can go on and on. But for the purposes of this thread... it doesn't matter what you and I think. It matters what the players think. They thought they were screwed. HOWEVER... they knew the only way to get back here was to LEAVE NO DOUBT and to win all their games. They knew they couldn't leave it in the hands of the comps this time... The lesson they learned was that they HAD to go undefeated. They used that and accomplished their goals.

They now just have one goal left to accomplish. Win a BCS title game.

If you read Mack Brown's press conference you can see that the underdog role is definitely AN aspect of the motivation. But lets not overstate this. Its not the ONLY angle. Its about so much more.

To the poster that said my links weren't national enough. That's fine. We'll just have to disagree. I watched ESPN's bowl special. Every single announcer had Bama over Texas. Look here. Scout.com: 2009-2010 CFN Staff Bowl Confidence Picks All but one has Bama over Texas. I bet if you scour the web you'll see its about 80-20 in favor of Bama. To say TX fan is reaching in saying we are viewed as the underdog is silly. Maybe to say its david v. Goliath is a stretch. But underdog... no that's not a stretch.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I find Colt's GAME ON text to be self serving and petty. What are we supposed to take away from that? Is he saying it took getting snubbed on an individual award to get him fired up to play for the NC? It should have been GAME ON as soon as the comedy of errors that led to thier BIG XII Championship ended. You say GAME ON, I'll say GO TEAM.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
When Colt found out that he lost the heisman, he texted his coach, "Game On."
Wow that I have to say that seriously scares me. Like all joking aside. Honestly though that sounds like a little preschooler lost the first prize and now wants to spoil the victors fun as much as possible. I just don't see Mark doing that if he lost to McCoy.

The battle cry for the TX team all year has been LEAVE NO DOUBT. Last year we got hosed. This year we've been about proving the doubters wrong. I'd say its worked just fine. GAME ON.
I say you've left a little doubt, even your own coach doubts you, if we are to believe his BS. According to him he wouldn't even show the tape of our SECCG to his players, doesn't sound like much confidence in his players to me. Of course we all know those were dirty lies because he's trying to win the game on the underdog gimmick which will not work against Bama because we not a bunch of cocky Californian hotheads with two Heisman winners on our team (we, alas, have but the one). If you come out trying to prove something the only thing you're going to prove is that we're the better team.

Embracing the underdog role only works when the other team underestimates you. Our players are preparing for this game like its Armageddon. Its Texas who is in for a nasty surprise Jan 7, not Bama.

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
In the grand scheme of things History will remember them as an AP national champ, I know the BCS has changed perception of things but we can't claim 12 for us then turn around and say USC's AP in 2003 doesn't count. I agree that it was not deserved but it doesn't compare at all to the situation with Auburn. I hate it too and I am glad Texas won (although here latley I wish I can take back ever pulling for them) but it is what it is IMHO.
While I don't want to move further off-topic, and your argument is good here, I have to disagree. Before the establishment of the BCSCG, all national championships are subject to debate because they were decided by polls and not single championship games. However, thank God for the establishment of the BCS, which actually selects its champion by putting the best two games against each other. IMO, since the bowl coalition began a formal national championship game in 1992, polls are obsolete. Now that there is an actual game, a final test, we don't (or shouldn't) have to worry about arguments over who was the best team. Carrol's team didn't win the championship game that year, so I don't give it to them.

But really, there should be a formal national championship game put on by the NCAA, with specific guidelines, and maybe a playoff system. NCAA's regulation of football is extremely sloppy and needs to be amended.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Do I expect an easy win? By all means, NO!

Just because they looked lackluster against Nebraska doesn't mean they'll come out flat against us.

I am hopeful of a win, but not certain. Right now, I'm just happy we are going to the big show, and am already so proud of how this team has performed this year.

ROLL TIDE & BEAT TEXAS!

BAMA504

Suspended
Jun 28, 2007
As long as the AP poll is relevant, which it is, the AP championship will be relevant.

Funny I don't see the REAL Crystal Ball sitting in Cali .................. Not to start some huge debate but the AP is only relevant because usc cried like little girls but the reality is there is only 1 true NC decided by the BCS which I believe usc is a part of.. In that case their claim of an AP NC is pretty sad since they sure enjoyed the BCS for a few years but only acknowledged the AP since they could not get the BCS actual NC trophy ~!~

The BCS was created to take the human factor out of the true NC picture as much as possible since the AP consist of a bunch of writers and voters who honestly have no clue about half the teams they vote for and they hold certain teams higher just because of their name. The BCS which every Major conference belongs to was agreed upon and decided that the winner of the BCS which pits the 2 best teams in the Nation against each other would be the NC not the AP... I don't even understand why they mention the AP because it is irrelevant~!~ JMHO~!~

Orangechipper

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 14, 2009
Wow that I have to say that seriously scares me. Like all joking aside. Honestly though that sounds like a little preschooler lost the first prize and now wants to spoil the victors fun as much as possible. I just don't see Mark doing that if he lost to McCoy.

I say you've left a little doubt, even your own coach doubts you, if we are to believe his BS. According to him he wouldn't even show the tape of our SECCG to his players, doesn't sound like much confidence in his players to me. Of course we all know those were dirty lies because he's trying to win the game on the underdog gimmick which will not work against Bama because we not a bunch of cocky Californian hotheads with two Heisman winners on our team (we, alas, have but the one). If you come out trying to prove something the only thing you're going to prove is that we're the better team.

Embracing the underdog role only works when the other team underestimates you. Our players are preparing for this game like its Armageddon. Its Texas who is in for a nasty surprise Jan 7, not Bama.
Surely you guys understand the subtleties of playing the underdog versus scaring your team. Sometimes with 18-22 year olds you HAVE to exaggerate to get your message across. You may over-exaggerate to make sure your team stays focused and pays their opponent their proper respect.

Again... don't think your players aren't drinking the kool-aid at least a little bit. EVEN IF they are more focused than most, its simply human nature to buy into the hype. Even the professionals do it from time to time... yet you think your group of 18-22 year olds are immune to it?

Again... I think Saban will have Bama ready and breathing fire... but it is something to be weary of. Why else would Saban make sure to speak on this issue several times? If its just meaningless banter then why even dignify it with a response... let alone say things like. "I'm glad you asked in case some of my players are listening"

As to the AP trophy. I totally agree with Bama504. USC didn't deserve it that year. They lost to a 6-6 team. (one that wouldn't even be bowl eligible if not for its win against USC) and then USC didn't have to face the SEC champ in its bowl game that year.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I find Colt's GAME ON text to be self serving and petty. What are we supposed to take away from that? Is he saying it took getting snubbed on an individual award to get him fired up to play for the NC? It should have been GAME ON as soon as the comedy of errors that led to thier BIG XII Championship ended. You say GAME ON, I'll say GO TEAM.
Posted via Mobile Device
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcntsWDtyEM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcntsWDtyEM[/ame]

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
Again... don't think your players aren't drinking the kool-aid at least a little bit. EVEN IF they are more focused than most, its simply human nature to buy into the hype. Even the professionals do it from time to time... yet you think your group of 18-22 year olds are immune to it?

Again... I think Saban will have Bama ready and breathing fire... but it is something to be weary of. Why else would Saban make sure to speak on this issue several times? If its just meaningless banter then why even dignify it with a response... let alone say things like. "I'm glad you asked in case some of my players are listening"
I think you're right, it's hard to keep anyone from buying into the hype at least at some level. You are exactly right, that is why Saban is making a point to talk about it. We have to hope that Saban's message is getting across and that the players remember last year's Sugar Bowl fiasco and do not want a repeat of that. I'm sure they realize what is at stake in this game and that Texas will be a tough opponent, but you have to guard against any chance of not being properly prepared.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, I agree. I think he's making sure. However, we have access to many local articles, feedback from players, etc. which you don't. Believe me, the team is on a mission. I'm not worried about complacency, but Nick is paid handsomely to worry about everything (he would worry even if he weren't being paid). I wouldn't count on anything beneficial for UT from our side. Now, can Mack get some boost from the "diss" angle - I have no idea. BTW, I think you meant "wary," not "weary..."

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Oh, I agree. I think he's making sure. However, we have access to many local articles, feedback from players, etc. which you don't. Believe me, the team is on a mission. I'm not worried about complacency, but Nick is paid handsomely to worry about everything (he would worry even if he weren't being paid). I wouldn't count on anything beneficial for UT from our side. Now, can Mack get some boost from the "diss" angle - I have no idea. BTW, I think you meant "wary," not "weary..."
Earle, you are absolutely right. I think Nick will have these guys sharp as a tack when game time rolls around. I believe he won't let anything get to them mentally. That said, it could happen. Some could buy in and create a problem, they are in fact 18-22. CNS is a great motivator, but he doesn't have the power of mind control. If he had that, we wouldn't have experienced last years sugar bowl. So it can happen, even to a CNS team. Again, I don't think it will happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

98Champions

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 22, 2009
You guys will have this game in hand by the middle of the 3rd quarter if not before. It's like men playing boys by then. They haven't seen physical until they play Alabama. Bring that title to the SEC. Roll Tide! Did i just say that??:conf3:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You guys will have this game in hand by the middle of the 3rd quarter if not before. It's like men playing boys by then. They haven't seen physical until they play Alabama. Bring that title to the SEC. Roll Tide! Did i just say that??:conf3:
Taking a guess at your allegiance, it's hard to believe... :D

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Someone give this man a Bama Avatar! :)

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
Every time I 'expect' an easy win (Tennessee, Auburn come to mind) I empty the Maalox bottle. I'm going into this one hopeful of a win, and if the guys on the team take preparation seriously, and execute like they did in the SECCG; then UTw doesn't have enough weapons to keep up. Good Luck team; represent the uniform proudly. Roll Tide Roll!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.