Link: McCoy: Offensive line ready to rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh4bama

1st Team
Sep 26, 2004
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
We're going to win this game up front," McCoy said. "Our offensive line, if they can play well, if they can control the line of scrimmage -- that's where the game will be won or lost. If we can get the running game going and open up play action, we've got a great chance to be successful and move the ball. And for me, I"ll have to be a passer and a runner to be able to take advantage of what they do
McCoy: Offensive line ready to rebound - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't doubt that we're going to get the Longhorns' best shot, the key will be for our shot to be better.

RayDog

Dec 20, 2009
In Mack Brown's press conference he said that he has been telling the Texas OL that Alabama has 3 Ndamakung Suhs, and that they had better be ready. He said the coaches haven't shown them footage of the Alabama front and don't plan too. They don't want to scare them.

Mack is in good form.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
It starts with the OL play and blocking schemes. Except on goalline, the OL rarely fire out and attack the DL, but typically stand straight up (or take a step back) and sheild. They do pull down the line and search for defnders and they all run laterally don the line in unison, but rarely fire out and almost never try to create a specific, pre-assigned hole. In this offense, they are assigned to shield and the back is responsible for finding a crease and running through it. The reason the team uses slow developing run plays, draws and the like where the back is standing still or slowly moving sidways is to give them time to find that crease. The best aspect of this scheme is that it is very difficult for the defense to immediately discern between a run and pass and with no specific person a lineman is responsible for, there is less chance for twists an stunts to blow the play's blocking ability.
I found this evaluation of the Texas OL on hornfans. Does this coaching technique sound familiar to anyone?

BamaBoi65

Dec 14, 2009
Texas played so poorly IMHO because they finally faced an advesary with a good defense in a conference that isn't typically a defensibly driven like the SEC.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I'm curious why they didn't bring their A game to the conference championship? I understand letdowns to lesser teams, (like Auburn). But I don't understand a letdown for a championship, with a title shot on the line.
It just happens. When BAMA was playing aubarn there was a championship on the line also. They all knew we needed to win that game to have a shot at the BCSCG. Sometimes you have an emotional let down, and don't forget that was their 9th game without a bye.
Posted via Mobile Device

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
"We're going to win this game up front," McCoy said. "Our offensive line, if they can play well, if they can control the line of scrimmage -- that's where the game will be won or lost. If we can get the running game going and open up play action, we've got a great chance to be successful and move the ball. And for me, I"ll have to be a passer and a runner to be able to take advantage of what they do."
That sure is a lot of "if's". I sure am glad I am not the one relaying on all these ifs to keep me upright all day...:eek:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well they really haven't played that good all year. They are ranked like 70th in sacks allowed.
Posted via Mobile Device
They're ranked 80th allowing 2.31 sacks/game.

By way of comparison, Alabama is ranked 19th, allowing half as many sacks (1.15 sacks/game).

Again, this front seven isn't exactly the group you want to try to prove your worth against if you haven't played great all year. I suspect we'll play McCoy much like we did Tebow, keeping him in front of the linemen and not opening lanes to run / scramble through, but if we pin our ears back...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And we remember how we looked against Tennessee after playing eight straight weeks. This game is not going to be easy and I hate to break it to some folks but a rested Texas offense and a Will Muschamp defense is going to be tough, tough to beat. The team we saw in the Big XII championship won't be the team we see. They'll be rested and ready to go.

It just happens. When BAMA was playing aubarn there was a championship on the line also. They all knew we needed to win that game to have a shot at the BCSCG. Sometimes you have an emotional let down, and don't forget that was their 9th game without a bye.
Posted via Mobile Device

BAMA504

Suspended
Jun 28, 2007
WoW........... maybe they should look at the entire year and REALIZE if McCoy is not so mobile their sack total would be through the roof.. As it is they have given up twice as many as BAMA and they all act like the Nebraska game is the only game in which they struggled...
Like someone stated before this defense is not really the best one to try and stage some sort of comeback but to me it is not a comeback it would be to actually show up against a decent defense, something they have not done ALL year not just 1 game.
If McCoy says it will be won up front and I believe he is dead right I sure like our chances~!~ :)

RayDog

Dec 20, 2009
Sounds like a prayer to me.
It may be. When the three seniors were recruited nobody expected three mid three star talents to play much for Texas. Tanner and Hall both 5.6 rated by rivals were thought to be wastes of scholarships and Ulatoski (5.7) was thought to maybe be a RT or third tackle in a rotation.

Every off-season the last couple years there has been hope that someone would pass them, especially Tanner and Hall, on the depth chart, but the more talented back-ups simply have not been given the opportunity.

They have done the best the could at Texas and played up to their level. there really isn't much else to do right now except what the poster above suggests. Texas needs those guys to play over their heads.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It may be. When the three seniors were recruited nobody expected three mid three star talents to play much for Texas. Tanner and Hall both 5.6 rated by rivals were thought to be wastes of scholarships and Ulatoski (5.7) was thought to maybe be a RT or third tackle in a rotation.

Every off-season the last couple years there has been hope that someone would pass them, especially Tanner and Hall, on the depth chart, but the more talented back-ups simply have not been given the opportunity.

They have done the best the could at Texas and played up to their level. there really isn't much else to do right now except what the poster above suggests. Texas needs those guys to play over their heads.
I think anyone who can really project how an OL will turn out is a sorcerer. We have a couple of 5* guys sitting on the bench, both of whom were predicted to start early.

BAMA504

Suspended
Jun 28, 2007
Yea I am a little more than dis-appointed in some of our OL 5 star players right now. Then again with the way our OL has been playing making the starting 5 is no easy task for anyone~!~ :) Seems to be a great problem to have unlike just a few years back when a certain coach couldn't teach a deaf man to read~!~

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
In Mack Brown's press conference he said that he has been telling the Texas OL that Alabama has 3 Ndamakung Suhs, and that they had better be ready. He said the coaches haven't shown them footage of the Alabama front and don't plan too. They don't want to scare them.

Mack is in good form.
He's sure enjoying this underdog role. I'm pretty sick of it and I'm even more sick of our fanbase buying into it. If people think Texas is going to look the same against us as they did Nebraska they are neither realistic or objective. Texas is a dang good football team that can beat Alabama. Anyone who doesn't believe that is being set up by the media to be disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.