New Year's Menu

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
We are breaking all sorts of family traditions this year :) Our traditional New Years menu used to be baked ham, yams, braised cabbage, black eye peas, new potatoes in cream sauce and some kind of desert.

My son thought of making New Years tacos with black eye peas, shredded pork and shredded cabbage in taco shells or wrapped in soft tortillas.

We have settled on BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw, a spoon full of black eye peas, french fried sweet potatoes tossed in sugar and cinnamon and my daughter is making a pumpkin cobbler (first time for me too).

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Im gonna make more of those stuffed peppers. Those things are really good. I finally talked the chef at this italian restaraunt here to give me the recipe. Little does he know that those peppers are the only reason I go there. LOL

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Matt I am going to try to make some of those peppers for the UT/Bama game along with some stuffed jalapenos. :)

I saved a ham bone from christmas to cook my black eyed peas with (also gotta put the nickel in the bottom of the pot for good luck). Also gonna make a big pot of turnip greens and corn bread. I love the "pot liquor" as my grandfather always called it. New Year's may be the one day of the year I don't care if I eat meat or not....black eyed peas, cornbread, and greens are plenty.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
They are my favorite.. I wanna try those pineapple and cream cheese stuffed jalepenos you mentioned.. How do you make those?
Let 8oz cream soften them mix with a small can of crushed pineapple. I actually use only a little over half a small can. Hollow out a couple dozen jalapeno peppers, stuff with the cream cheese mixture then wrap with half a slice of bacon or some of that thin prosciutto ham. Bake in 400F oven or on grill till bacon is crispy. To me these are actually better done in the oven without the smoky taste of the grill.

aden

Suspended
Jan 30, 2005
citronelle ala
Blackeyed peas
cole slaw
cornbread
conecuh sausage
boudin
coconut cream pie
turnips or collards
why change, it doesn't get much better than that.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I was viewing past threads on menu's for New Year's Day & ran across this one from Rich. Still miss this sweet man!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.