JessN: Florida preview: Bama faces Gator team that is remaking its image

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Florida preview: Bama faces Gator team that is remaking its image
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 27th, 2011 02:08 AM

Bama Depth Chart for Florida game

It’s been nearly 30 years since Florida was “normal.” . Somewhere back in the mid-1980s, Florida ran a standard offense and standard defense. There was no cult of personality surrounding its head coach. Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not, Florida wasn’t a significant blip on the college football [...]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've been waiting for this preview, as JessN always has the best, most level-headed analysis of anyone out there. This game concerns me more than any other game on our schedule. We'll be at our best against LSU, I have no doubt. We should be at our best against Auburn because of the revenge factor. All other teams on our schedule have no business beating us (Vandy, Tenn, MSU, Ole Miss).

Florida is a different animal. Their recruiting under Meyer was superb, and although this is an entirely different system, so far this year they seem to have taken to it well. And then there is the revenge factor. We took Florida's manhood away and damn near killed their coach over the past 2 seasons. But if we're on our game, and play smart (no turnovers or stupid penalties), I believe we can weather the storm.

Jazzman

1st Team
Feb 13, 2001
Wetumpka, Alabama
Well, like Jess said, Florida's advantages are on both lines of scrimmage. So our linemen are really going to have a challenge on their hands. I still believe Alabama has the better team overall. 24 - 14 sounds like a good guess to me. It should be a fairly low-scoring game and if you love defensive battles, this should be a great one to watch. ROLL TIDE!!

Good analysis. You may be correct on the off and def lines. They are really close though and I think by the end of the game with our off line gelling and the def line actually coming in to its own, that it will be a different story at the end. If our offense from the Arkansas game shows up (not the one one the goal line) shows up we will dominate the game. I still think they have something to prove. The defense still needs to show improvement no matter what happened last game. We had opportunities to get to the QB and came up a lil late, example is on the 2nd touchdown pass from Wilson, Hubbard got there, but it was a little late. I hope they recognize it. I doubt we'll see 100 yards days from Rainey or Demps, ​but we still have to slow down any effectiveness not only on the ground but in the air as well. I expect it to be close, but not as close as everyone says it is gonna be.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
This game will make our blood pressure rise. Florida has the home field advantage to go along with their first BIG game attitude and enthusiasm. The potential is there for Bama to start slow. If we can hold them off in the first half we should be able to adjust and win. If Bama's D gets to the QB early and often we can win big. I think getting to Brantley is very important in this game. That and accouinting for the RB's out of the backfield on every play. Do that and we get out of Gainsville with the W. Good read Jess, thank you.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Them two have the speed to out run anybody we got. The problem they will have is by the time they give ground enough to get around the first man two more will be there. Any takers on how much work is put into specific pursuit angles this week?

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I've been uneasy about this game since July. It's in a bad place on the schedule and Florida is extremely talented. Any win is a good one, if Bama gets out of The Swamp unscathed, we're talking about taking care of business in Atlanta and planning trips to New Orleans for the BCSCG.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I've been uneasy about this game since July. It's in a bad place on the schedule and Florida is extremely talented. Any win is a good one, if Bama gets out of The Swamp unscathed, we're talking about taking care of business in Atlanta and planning trips to New Orleans for the BCSCG.
Thanks RJ my exact thoughts saved me from thinking and typing. Very close game.

OldSchoolG8R

Sep 28, 2011
Hello Alabama Fans! Old School Gator here! I wanted to stop by to let you know that I’ll be producing and airing a radio show on the local (Orlando) ESPN radio network on Saturday from 11 a.m. – noon EST that will feature some “Old School ‘Bama Players” as well. In particular, the hour-long show will feature interviews with Steve Sloan and Robin Parkhouse, and will also include a special segment featuring audio of Coach Bear Bryant talking about his philosophy. I know that many of you are out of the immediate listening area, but you can log in on http://www.espn1080.com to hear the show live. Again, that’s 11 a.m. to noon EST. It’s certainly a fun way to kick off game day. Also, feel free to "like" my page on Facebook and we can chat back and forth during the broadcast and game on Saturday. Best of luck to the Crimson Tide on Saturday!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Hello Alabama Fans! Old School Gator here! I wanted to stop by to let you know that I’ll be producing and airing a radio show on the local (Orlando) ESPN radio network on Saturday from 11 a.m. – noon EST that will feature some “Old School ‘Bama Players” as well. In particular, the hour-long show will feature interviews with Steve Sloan and Robin Parkhouse, and will also include a special segment featuring audio of Coach Bear Bryant talking about his philosophy. I know that many of you are out of the immediate listening area, but you can log in on http://www.espn1080.com to hear the show live. Again, that’s 11 a.m. to noon EST. It’s certainly a fun way to kick off game day. Also, feel free to "like" my page on Facebook and we can chat back and forth during the broadcast and game on Saturday. Best of luck to the Crimson Tide on Saturday!
Welcome to the board. Spamming ain't cool.

coUrAgeWins

1st Team
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, AL
Jess touched on it a little bit in his write up, but I think it's a glaring issue. Bama is the least penalized team in the conference, Florida is the most penalized team in the conference. That could go a long way into shortening their own drives or extending ours. I think penalties are going to play a big part in this game.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Jess touched on it a little bit in his write up, but I think it's a glaring issue. Bama is the least penalized team in the conference, Florida is the most penalized team in the conference. That could go a long way into shortening their own drives or extending ours. I think penalties are going to play a big part in this game.
Very good point. It also speaks to the larger issue of discipline and concentration. We have been pretty focused and disciplined this year (of course all the praise after Arky might have affected our players). I think the experience with the game at PSU will help our guys maintain their focus and not get jittery (even though the Swamp is a whole different animal). This game worries me because the strength of the UF defense is their DL and that can get into AJ's head if we don't protect (Fluker had a few whiffs against Arky).

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
So many people here are very worried about every game. I get it, we all want Bama to win so badly that we get nervous. But Florida is in a transition year and don't have the playmakers. Bama wins easily. Roll Tide.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Kudos to Jess for pointing out that Zook and Fedora brought the spread philosophy to Florida. Not only did they introduce it to Gainesville and the SEC for the first time, they recruited lights out and signed the athletic talent necessary to execute it. Urban Meyer may have been the head coach with the actual coaching skills to get the BCS hardware, but he owes a huge debt of gratitude to Zook for leaving the shelves so well stocked.

When Meyer famously turned down the Notre Dame job to go to Florida, the national media wagged their heads and turned up their noses. How dare he turn down such a storied and wonderful Irish program for the Jort Squad? It was a no-brainer. Meyer looked over the rosters of the two programs and examined the last few recruiting classes and went to the place where the talent was (almost) already in place.

I think the final score might be a little closer than 24-14, unless things break open in the 4th quarter and Bama makes the Gators quit.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Very good point. It also speaks to the larger issue of discipline and concentration. We have been pretty focused and disciplined this year (of course all the praise after Arky might have affected our players). I think the experience with the game at PSU will help our guys maintain their focus and not get jittery (even though the Swamp is a whole different animal). This game worries me because the strength of the UF defense is their DL and that can get into AJ's head if we don't protect (Fluker had a few whiffs against Arky).
Yep - couldn't help but notice this. Hopefully he's being "coached up" this week!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.