JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
LSU wrap-up: Bama’s victory may have been of the Pyrrhic variety
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 5th, 2017 05:35 AM

If Arkansas basketball once could brand itself as “40 minutes of hell,” Alabama and LSU ought to start branding this annual tilt as “60 minutes of D-Day reenactment.” This game was war. It began with paratroopers jumping into Bryant-Denny Stadium to deliver the game ball. By the […]

Read More Here

Publisher's Note: Jess has also put together a discussion on the effects of the LB injuries here.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks Jess, that was, unfortunately, a true depiction of exactly what happened last night. I saw a great defensive effort and special teams play; I also saw an offense that relies totally on one player. Not the recipe for a CFP team. The OL has regressed during the season and was totally exposed by LSU's defense, imagine how much better UGA's defense is than LSU's. Yes, injuries have hurt us, but they have been on the defensive side of the ball and yet the defense holds up while the offense will be in trouble against auburn and UGA and heaven forbid, MSU. At this point I can see at least one loss and hope that is all.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Good write up, Jess. Our offensive line issues are a concern down the stretch for both the run game and pass game. The injuries on defense are mind-boggling and depressing for me. I feel for the players. Unless others step up, I am not sure we can beat Auburn, and if we don't beat Miss State, we won't even get the chance to play UGA. It's like the injuries have just carried over from last year's SEC championship game and Clemson game. I just don't understand why it is happening, especially to the same position group.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess. Unbelievable that we would have this many injuries to one position group. I really hope some of the young guys can step up. I had hoped with all of the opportunities this year to get some experience in earlier games we would have seen more of that last night. The guys gave a great effort last night but it was disappointing to see us beaten on the OL and the DL line all night. You have to give credit to LSU. So thankful for a 2 TD win and for number 2. He really came through last night.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A Pyrrhic victory was my exact thoughts but I think we also saw some of the issues that existed before this game that would likely cook our goose against teams with a better QB. We cannot get down four pressure. When we can't blitz our ability to affect the passer is mediocre. Pure and simple. Injuries and the fact that LSU kinda creates some of the spread problems where they make you cover a ton of grass with the sweep threat put our mediocre down four pressure obvious to even the layman. LSU was able to manufacture just a tiny bit of what the spread does to a defense to neuter the pressure packages. Imagine the real thing with a good college quarterback taking the snaps? It is also very concerning that the one thing this down lineman group was suppose to excel in - run defense - was not even that great of an effort by Alabama standards. Too many snaps where our DL were getting the line of scrimmage moved 3-4 yards up field which turns those 1-2 yard runs of years past into 4-5 yard runs.

But I expected a regression on defense this year regardless and the injuries temper my expectations even further. We're just gonna have to punt and kick well to make teams drive long distances and hope the defense can bend but not break. What I'm finding harder to tolerate is the lackluster offensive performances against the only three defenses with a pulse - and Aggy's D isn't even that great but they have some players - seen thus far in 2017. This team is dependent on the offense being highly productive. You have the offensive output of the FSU, TAMU, and LSU games against a team with a quarterback and we're probably in a dogfight at this juncture with this defense.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
A Pyrrhic victory was my exact thoughts but I think we also saw some of the issues that existed before this game that would likely cook our goose against teams with a better QB. We cannot get down four pressure. When we can't blitz our ability to affect the passer is mediocre. Pure and simple. Injuries and the fact that LSU kinda creates some of the spread problems where they make you cover a ton of grass with the sweep threat put our mediocre down four pressure obvious to even the layman. LSU was able to manufacture just a tiny bit of what the spread does to a defense to neuter the pressure packages. Imagine the real thing with a good college quarterback taking the snaps? It is also very concerning that the one thing this down lineman group was suppose to excel in - run defense - was not even that great of an effort by Alabama standards. Too many snaps where our DL were getting the line of scrimmage moved 3-4 yards up field which turns those 1-2 yard runs of years past into 4-5 yard runs.

But I expected a regression on defense this year regardless and the injuries temper my expectations even further. We're just gonna have to punt and kick well to make teams drive long distances and hope the defense can bend but not break. What I'm finding harder to tolerate is the lackluster offensive performances against the only three defenses with a pulse - and Aggy's D isn't even that great but they have some players - seen thus far in 2017. This team is dependent on the offense being highly productive. You have the offensive output of the FSU, TAMU, and LSU games against a team with a quarterback and we're probably in a dogfight at this juncture with this defense.
This right here.

I realize if we win against MSU, and UGA beats Auburn, we're going to Atlanta. But things are going to get ugly if the offense doesn't get better.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
What happened to Ben Davis? I've been expecting big things from him, and I would think he would start getting some playing time with all of the injuries to linebackers.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It is refreshing to always read your pieces Jess because you tell it like it is. I still like our chances going forward despite the injuries as all the other teams are dealing with similar issues. I expect some to step up too and the likely place will be along the offensive and defensive lines.

What happened to Ben Davis? I've been expecting big things from him, and I would think he would start getting some playing time with all of the injuries to linebackers.
Word is that he is still catching up to the speed of the game due to his playing in a lower classification in high school. I do, however, expect that the coaching staff is breeding a "sense of urgency" atmosphere in the ranks challenging everyone to step up their game. We may see Ben contributing in a ST role soon because he does have the talent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm afraid you're right about SDH. The first time you tear an ACL, it hurts like the dickens. The 2nd time, when you tear the graft, there's no pain, just feeling of "giving." (I've torn my ACL but not the graft). He wasn't even limping. He's gone...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The Eeyore crowd will be out in full force after reading this article...

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
Jess, as far back as I can remember, your post-game summaries have been far the best and most accurate I've read anywhere. Unfortunately, you've done it again. But since I'm of the generation who believes in the defense, not the pass-throwing offense, I am keeping the faith. :)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
With all due respect I was under the impression that this board was a place to express an opinion, not that you had to agree with a differing opinion. Your opinion is yours, but I don't see posters come on here and take shots at the "crimson bespeckled sunshine pumpers". If you and others do not want differing opinions on our team then maybe this is not the place for those y'all refer to as Eyeores.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I agree with your assessment. We are hurting. Injuries have killed our potential this year.
IMO: We will need a lot of luck to win out. :(

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
The final score could have been 38-10 if not for some of the pass interference committed by LSU. I counted at least five non-calls on obvious pass interference. Injuries are mounting up. Depth on defense will be a factor in upcoming games. I hope the next men up are ready! RTR!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
By the same token, I don't think people with two feet firmly placed in reality want to dig their head into sand and ignore reality instead.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.