JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Missouri wrap-up: When it came time for a gut check, Tide responded
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 14th, 2018 04:18 AM

The way Alabama’s offense can score points may mean the 2018 season goes by without a truly close shave, margin-wise, but don’t for one second think Alabama’s victory over Missouri wasn’t an epic gut check. In a strange game that saw Bama lose three starters to injury, […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Jess excellent analysis. I agree the defense did show up for most of the game and played well, still a few issues to cleanup. The OL get a tip of the hat for a really well played game. Hurts did a very good job in taking over the offense and as you said, his passing is light years of where it was last year. We will need him in a big way down the stretch. I do not want to talk about punting, the kicking game could haunt us at some point this season; we should consider placing an ad on Craig's List for a punter.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Thanks, Jess. Excellent analysis.
Glad the players stepped up after Tua's injury. Just disheartening to see the look on Tua's face after the injury. His disappointment was obvious, and told a more in-depth story than Coach Saban's dismissal of it in the presser. Just hope he heals fast.

Raekwon Davis. WTH??

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
My favorite paragraph of the season:

Part tent revival, part football-flavored grindhouse film, all staged during a weird weekend that saw multiple top-10 teams lose and Tennessee get its first SEC win in two years and do it in Jordan-Hare Stadium to boot. If this was vintage Alabama football, it came from strange grapes indeed.”

!!

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I wasn't impressed with Lock. That could be because the D played well. But he didn't seem to have the competitive spirit, just going through the motion much of the night.

I have never heard of a punter having yipps like a golfer putting. I guess putting so infrequently doesn't help. There will be a game we will need a punter who can kick it 40+ yards.

Good analysis.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I wasn't impressed with Lock. That could be because the D played well. But he didn't seem to have the competitive spirit, just going through the motion much of the night.

I have never heard of a punter having yipps like a golfer putting. I guess putting so infrequently doesn't help. There will be a game we will need a punter who can kick it 40+ yards.

Good analysis.
I think their plan for Lock was to have him pick on Saivion Smith right out of the gate and keep doing it. I don't remember Surtain's guys getting targeted much. When Smith picked off the first pass they threw at him it was like they didn't have Plan B.

The knock on Smith is he lacks elite corner speed. Well, Levi Wallace ran 4.6 and finished the year as the top-rated CB in FBS for pass efficiency defense if I remember correctly. Certainly within the top five. When the whole secondary is going to get drafted some day it's not that hard to disguise coverages and bait quarterbacks into making mistakes. It didn't hurt that our OLBs picked this game to reassert themselves. Miller has played lights out for two weeks now and Jennings had a much better game.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Thanks, Jess. Excellent analysis.
Glad the players stepped up after Tua's injury. Just disheartening to see the look on Tua's face after the injury. His disappointment was obvious, and told a more in-depth story than Coach Saban's dismissal of it in the presser. Just hope he heals fast.

Raekwon Davis. WTH??
That look seemed like part "Why me?" and part "I can go back in............why cant I go back in?".............I think he will be fine after the bye week, and if Jalen gets into trouble ( which I don't think he will ) next week, Tua can go in "IF" necessary

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I've had a while to think about our defensive play last night. I know Mac is supposedly the leader and and the secondary is improving, but it seems when Christian Miller and Anfernee Jennings are on it seems to lift the entire defense's performance.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I think their plan for Lock was to have him pick on Saivion Smith right out of the gate and keep doing it. I don't remember Surtain's guys getting targeted much. When Smith picked off the first pass they threw at him it was like they didn't have Plan B.

The knock on Smith is he lacks elite corner speed. Well, Levi Wallace ran 4.6 and finished the year as the top-rated CB in FBS for pass efficiency defense if I remember correctly. Certainly within the top five. When the whole secondary is going to get drafted some day it's not that hard to disguise coverages and bait quarterbacks into making mistakes. It didn't hurt that our OLBs picked this game to reassert themselves. Miller has played lights out for two weeks now and Jennings had a much better game.
I feel Anfernee is now getting healthier, and feels more sure about his leg, and that's helping him play better the last couple of games.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I still say Tua made the first down on the slide, and we never should have had to punt in the first place. Thanks for the write up Jess, hope Raekwon can play Saturday.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks so much for the write-up, Jess. I always enjoy reading your recap each week. It gives me another opportunity to reflect on and relive the game. Great job!

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I still say Tua made the first down on the slide, and we never should have had to punt in the first place. Thanks for the write up Jess, hope Raekwon can play Saturday.
I agree so much that Tua made the 1st down. I was at the game and thought it wasn't even close. I couldn't believe when they reviewed it and placed the ball short of the 1st down marker. Then, I saw a replay today and it was so obvious that he made the 1st down and it wasn't even close. I am not sure what they were looking at when they reviewed it.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Maybe the rule on the slide is he is down when he starts the slide; not when he finishes or where his knee goes down. Haven't checked. He started the slide before the stick.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Maybe the rule on the slide is he is down when he starts the slide; not when he finishes or where his knee goes down. Haven't checked. He started the slide before the stick.
That is the rule BUT - how do you define “starts the slide”. NFL defines it as “any part of the runners body touches the ground other than hands or feet”. That certainly didn’t happen until the ball was well past the line to gain. NCAA seems to try to measure the runners “intent to slide” - pretty ridiculous and subjective for such a critical part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That is the rule BUT - how do you define “starts the slide”. NFL defines it as “any part of the runners body touches the ground other than hands or feet”. That certainly didn’t happen until the ball was well past the line to gain. NCAA seems to try to measure the runners “intent to slide” - pretty ridiculous and subjective for such a critical part of the game.
No, you just defined a tackle. Dvldog is correct. Starting the slide is when the QB starts to go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.