David Pollack "Alabama has the best Defense, Hands down"

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
So im watching the The palmer and pollack show and David Pollack got into a debate with palmer about whether oklahoma would be competitive against bama or lsu, and who had who has the best defense overall. while and palmer gave this long speech about how oklahoma's defense is right up there (but not on the same level with) LSU and bama. the most impressive defense to him was LSU because of only holding Oregon to 95 yards and after he said all that pollack responded

Pollack: well you took up so much time talking i have to make this quick..No,No, and No.

Palmer: well umm..who do you think has the best defense?

Pollack: (unflinchingly) Alabama, hands down

Palmer: really??? (he didn't say that in a condecending way i think he wanted more input from pollack)

Pollack: (bluntly) yeah, Alabama its not even close

Hahaha

take it for what its worth buts its cool that A former defensive player that was one of the best at georgia seems so certain that bama had the best D in the country.

You know pollack is a lot more likeable when he is not crushing brodie croyle and blocking all of our field goals hahaha.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So im watching the The palmer and pollack show and David Pollack got into a debate with palmer about whether oklahoma would be competitive against bama or lsu, and who had who has the best defense overall. while and palmer gave this long speech about how oklahoma's defense is right up there (but not on the same level with) LSU and bama. the most impressive defense to him was LSU because of only holding Oregon to 95 yards and after he said all that pollack responded

Pollack: well you took up so much time talking i have to make this quick..No,No, and No.

Palmer: well umm..who do you think has the best defense?

Pollack: (unflinchingly) Alabama, hands down

Palmer: really??? (he didn't say that in a condecending way i think he wanted more input from pollack)

Pollack: (bluntly) yeah, Alabama its not even close

Hahaha

take it for what its worth buts its cool that A former defensive player that was one of the best at georgia seems so certain that bama had the best D in the country.

You know pollack is a lot more likeable when he is not crushing brodie croyle and blocking all of our field goals hahaha.
I happen to find Pollack handsome so this makes it even better. ;)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I happen to find Pollack handsome so this makes it even better. ;)
You sound like my mother..she said the exact same thing and then when he started talking up bama she goes

"i like that boy" hahaha

but you know whats crazy??? is how much weight he loss and how diffrent he looks from when he played at georgia. i couldn't believe it was the same person when i first saw him.

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
The reason Palmer thinks LSU is the best is the same reason that all the outsiders believe LSU's D is as good as ours, they only look at the flash they make.

Pollack on the other hand knows defensive calls, schemes and what the defense is actually trying to do. When you look at our D, they do exactly what the want to do on almost every single play. They hold their gaps, they hold their zones, they stay in the right positions in coverage, they don't bite too much on fakes, they get as deep as the deepest man and contain backside. They are so disciplined, they are a coaches dream and they just do all the little things right. They seriously look like a veteran NFL D, and I'm not exagerating. And when they do mess up, they come back and never make that same mistake again.

I keep telling everyone I know that this is the best defense I've ever seen in my life and they haven't done anything so far to make me not believe that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
LSU has the popularity right now, and Oklahoma does to an extent with their offensive prowess.

I just think history proves that high flying offenses don't do well against great defenses. Time and time again, when they match up, the great offense's numbers drop drastically from their averages. So I think that rules out OU and OK State. Maybe I'm wrong - just the way I see it from a historical perspective.

As for LSU vs. Alabama on defense, I just think we're more disciplined. LSU probably has just as many NFL guys as we do. But they just seem a bit more out of control. I'm not really sure today if that means we win or not.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Who cares what espners say it will all be decided November 5th.
really???? who are we playing that day??? *rolls eyes*

i was just pointing out that how humorous it was that he seemed so certain and was just so blunt with palmer and i thought it was kind of cool seeing as how he was one of the best defensive players ever at georgia. I said "take it for what its worth.."

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Florida averaged 0.5 ypc rushing against Alabama, and 3.5 ypc against LSU.
Florida passed more against Alabama, but it was all Brantley (11/16 for 190, 11.9 yards/pass). The other QBs were 3 of 7 for 17 yards (2.43 yards/pass)
Against LSU, they were 9 of 16 for 100, 6.3 yards/pass

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Florida passed more against Alabama, but it was all Brantley (11/16 for 190, 11.9 yards/pass). The other QBs were 3 of 7 for 17 yards (2.43 yards/pass)
All Brantley...and almost half on that first play from scrimmage too.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
When I compare defenses I look at stuff and facts like this.....

We are ahead of LSU in every major defensive stat in the SEC....

We have held every opponent we have played to their lowest point total of the season...

We faced the best offense in the SEC(Arkansas) and made them look like the worst offense in the SEC and held them 24 points below their second lowest scoring output of the season.

I don't even think it's close.

Plus......our offense is first in rushing and tied for second in passing in the SEC.

When you're first in rush defense and first in rush offense it's going to almost be impossible for someone to beat you.

That goes back a long long way and it's never going to change.

sip

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
LSU beats us in a single category - turnovers.

Considering *HOW* teams play us, it looks more like offenses are more paranoid of flinging it downfield than they are against LSU (seriously, count how many short routes even the pass happy teams will run against us - Arkansas is a GREAT example).

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
AND.. LSU didn't once have to line up against UFs #1 QB. At least we played against him for a half before we broke him...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LSU beats us in a single category - turnovers.

Considering *HOW* teams play us, it looks more like offenses are more paranoid of flinging it downfield than they are against LSU (seriously, count how many short routes even the pass happy teams will run against us - Arkansas is a GREAT example).
And penalties (both number and penalty yards / game).

The more I look the more it seems that that single stat often decides who wins. It doesn't just show penalties and the associated yardage, which can be huge, but also shows the team's overall level of discipline.

We're currently second in the nation in penalties / game (trailing only Navy) while LSU is 70th...

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
And penalties (both number and penalty yards / game).

The more I look the more it seems that that single stat often decides who wins. It doesn't just show penalties and the associated yardage, which can be huge, but also shows the team's overall level of discipline.

We're currently second in the nation in penalties / game (trailing only Navy) while LSU is 70th...
I wouldn't call it "beating us" in the case of penalties - I'm saying their defense has gotten more turnovers than ours has.

It will be interesting to see how well they do against an offense less likely to give them gifts...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.