CNS Three National Title teams (stats)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
its interesting how all three teams are so similar in terms of the average points per game and and points allowed among other things.

2003 LSU Tigers (13-1)
Offense: Averaged 33.92 points per game
Defense: Gave up an Average of 10.2 points per game

2009 Alabama Crimson Tide (14-0)
Offense: Averaged 32.07 points per game
Defense: Gave up an average of 11.71 points per game.

2011 Alabama Crimson Tide (12-1)
Offense: Averaged 34.85 points per game
Defense: Gave up an Average of 8.15 points per game.

obviously the 2011 defense is the best hands down...i do wonder if alabama had played an extra game like sabans other two title teams. what the final statistics would have ended up being. i still think the 2011 defense would have won by a mile. ...who knows?? it might have made the averages look even better for the 2011 team :eek:

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
WOW!! I love stats. And there are some really interesting points made. Here are a few of my stabs in the dark...

The 2009 team was the most consistent and steady. The average margin is the least of the three, but they were unbelievably consistent. Thus they didnt slip up and lose a game.

I agree that SEC offenses are unfairly labeled as weaker by the other parts of the college football world, however, there is a true assessment that can be made about us. The offenses are DIFFERENT (not weaker) than the rest of the world, by design. They are more designed for ball control BECAUSE the defenses are all basically NFL defenses. If you can't go out and control the clock when you need to in the SEC....YOU DIE!

One more point...as much as I love the 2011 team...and in spite of the obvious fact that the offensive average is the highest of these three...I think it is fair to say that it is somewhat of a misnomer. This defense was so freakin ridiculous that it gave the offense an advantage over the other two teams mentioned here. As good as those other two defenses were, this one was simply hands down the best I've seen in college

I wish someone here had the time to research the number of 3-and-outs caused, the average starting field position, and the average time of possession for these three teams. :cool:

My theory is (maybe, it is sort of under-developed at this point) that the 2011 team would have the best aggregate of those three stats and that would be a huge factor in the points they scored.

-Sully

Last edited:
WOW!! I love stats. And there are some really interesting points made. Here are a few of my stabs in the dark...

The 2009 team was the most consistent and steady. The average margin is the least of the three, but they were unbelievably consistent. Thus they didnt slip up and lose a game.

I agree that SEC offenses are unfairly labeled as weaker by the other parts of the college football world, however, there is a true assessment that can be made about us. The offenses are DIFFERENT (not weaker) than the rest of the world, by design. They are more designed for ball control BECAUSE the defenses are all basically NFL defenses. If you can't go out and control the clock when you need to in the SEC....YOU DIE!

One more point...as much as I love the 2011 team...and in spite of the obvious fact that the offensive average is the highest of these three...I think it is fair to say that it is somewhat of a misnomer. This defense was so freakin ridiculous that it gave the offense an advantage over the other two teams mentioned here. As good as those other two defenses were, this one was simply hands down the best I've seen in college

I wish someone here had the time to research the number of 3-and-outs caused, the average starting field position, and the average time of possession for these three teams. :cool:

My theory is (maybe, it is sort of under-developed at this point) that the 2011 team would have the best aggregate of those three stats and that would be a huge factor in the points they scored.

-Sully
I'm not sure I agree with you on that with 2009 being the most consistent. Almost losing to Barnie and UT who weren't ranked, is not consistent. They did go undefeated but most stable, that would go to 2011. They did lose to #1 by their own doing, but they blew everyone out including #1.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not sure about that. UT game wasn't consistent. Auburn jumped out early with their gimmicks.
Is it that SEC offenses are different or the other conferences' defenses are different? That answer is just as complicated as "Are SEC offenses/QBs worse than others or do other conferences' defenses make those QBs look good?"

I'm too young to really comment on the "best ever" aspect of this defense, but we said the same about 2009 and will probably say similar things about future defenses.

I can tell you from looking up similar information prior to January 9 that LSU's defense was unreal in the 3-in-out area. Look at their starting field position, and you'll be amazed at the length of their drives.

Bama 13-0

All-SEC
Oct 22, 1999
Clinton, MS
www.tidefans.com
Statistics always amaze me. The truth of the matter is that you will probably find very little difference between one championship team and another. Look at the point differentials. They are very close. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you get to the top, the difference between #1 and #2, or #3, or #4, is usually razor thin. It takes a very special coach to close that razor thin gap. I'm glad we have the best in the country, again!

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Statistics always amaze me. The truth of the matter is that you will probably find very little difference between one championship team and another. Look at the point differentials. They are very close. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you get to the top, the difference between #1 and #2, or #3, or #4, is usually razor thin. It takes a very special coach to close that razor thin gap. I'm glad we have the best in the country, again!
^^^^^ This is the reason I'm a star gazer when it comes to recruiting. I have caught some heat for it over the years but I have always felt that the difference between winning a title instead of being, just a great team, comes down to those one or two extra elite players Alabama always seems to get under CNS.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'm too young to really comment on the "best ever" aspect of this defense, but we said the same about 2009 and will probably say similar things about future defenses.
Actually, most of us that remember the '92 defense never said that. The '09 was really good, but the '11 defense is on entirely another level. The '09 defense lacked a dominant pass rush from the front 4, and relied heavily on blitzing, which at times gave up some big pass plays. In fact, until this last year, I always considered CNS' 2003 LSU defense as his best ever. That defense blew up some QB's.

I will say that I only hope we have a future defense that we consider better than 2011!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
and yet their are morons out there that think the sec can't play offense.....okie state got spared the beating of a lifetime. bama or lsu would have absolutely destroyed gundys boys.
I think SEC offenses get overlooked because the sports media gets enthralled with "big play" offenses in other conferences. When SEC teams come up against those other conference teams they routinely outscore them and quite often score a lot of points.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I obviously didn't put enough thought into what I said. I got a little bit too excited about those stats! :)

For the record, I agree that the 2009 team was probably less consistent than the 2011 team.

Anyone know about those 3-n-out stats yet?!?!?

:)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I hope so too! We have the talent but can you even imagine if that were really the case! I would love to see a Bama defense better than the last. But my goodness... It would be asking a lot!
I don't know about better but i think the 2012 version can be a top 5 defense. maybe even top 5 across the board in all major categories...they look to have a chip on their shoulder and the Defensive line looks to be very strong this year.

They do look mighty strong. I definitely have to agree with you there. What most people don't realize is that a bunch of these youngsters got game time experience last season. Other than the ones that are JuCo transfers all saw play time except Fulton. Milliner is a starter coming back when you look at it. DLine are all seniors and enough can't be said about our LBs. They will challenge for the top defense spot again. Will they get it? Well, it's up to them. They do have those symptoms though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.