Has Mike Shula visited Alabama in any capacity since being let go?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Funny...I was thinking about Mike Shula's legacy at Alabama a while back. I don't know all the inside details about his ultimate firing other than he simply wasn't getting the job done. Now here is what I do know...I was at Legion Field when "The Kick" happened, and IMO he came to Bama when hardly anyone else would even touch the job. Under the circumstances he did okay...just okay...but at least he tried. I hope for his sake he will one day return and not let his daddy's influence cause him to make a big mistake.
I personally think he would be welcomed in a big way now. Not so much for the first few years, but it's all okay now and I think most folks have let it go. JMHO

Reactions: Crimson Steel

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Coach Shula was treated well and given opportunity with probation in the equation. And is what angers me with what USC did to Kiiffin. The same as us firing Coach Shula after a couple of seasons under probation. I do not understand why he would be angry with us. Mal was at least patient and a gentleman. I bet a lot of thought went into the change. The quality of the coach we could hire off of probation was night and day. Mal gambled and came up with the best coach in the game. Coach Shula was given an excellent package. As a player, he is family but never really had a lot of interest in his alama mater pre or post.
That was a very volatile time for Bama. Coach Saban was absolutely the only answer and Mal somehow got him, thank goodness.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Am I the only one wondering why anyone really cares if Shula visited or not? Mr Shula is a reminder of the bad ole days and that "nobody would take the job" myth has been debunked here numerous times.

I would prefer to remember the days he led the comebacks against UGA and Auburn and became the first Tide QB to ever beat Notre Dame. He's no Gene Jelks, okay?

But the choice to stay away is his. Ex-spouses don't tend to come around the house of the happily and still on the honeymoon replacement spouse.

I would hope he could come to some sort of mental peace given things like the passing of Kevin Turner, younger than Shula, and some others.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't see him coming back. If he wanted to drop by and watch practice and have lunch with Saban I wouldn't care. But I doubt it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willis

3rd Team
Sep 9, 2005
The reality is if Prothro and Closner (in the MSU game) hadn't broken their legs, we may have won the NC in 2005 - and more than likely no Saban since winning a NC cools down the hotseat for a couple years at least. Let that sink in.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Seeing as how he has had alot of success himself as offensive coordinator in the NFL,i wonder if he would ever visit a Alabama practice?All the hard feelings should be healed by now,right?And it's still his Alma Mater plus he wasn't a bad player.
I doubt Shula has visited. His pride was hurt when we fired him. Sometimes people who are 'Hurt' by their firing carry that 'Butt Hurt' feeling for years. To make it worse when Shula was fired his dad, Don Shula tried to involve himself in the situation. I believe Mal had to politely advise Don to stay out of the firing/Coaching search, then Don got his feelings hurt.
I'm sometimes surprised when men in a contact sport have tender emotional feelings.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Shula never visited before or after, but people forget that he took a job no other coach wanted at the time. For that, we should appreciate his efforts.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The reality is if Prothro and Closner (in the MSU game) hadn't broken their legs, we may have won the NC in 2005 - and more than likely no Saban since winning a NC cools down the hotseat for a couple years at least. Let that sink in.
Yes, because the press would have made sure the Texas-USC matchup did NOT happen, right?

If we'd somehow gone unbeaten then the same Tide fans who mocked Auburn in 2004 would still to this day be screaming about what an injustice was dealt Alabama in 2005. Oh, and then they'd cite all the SEC title wins AFTER 2005 as proof we'd have beaten USC or Texas, too.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Cam Newton would make me a serviceable offensive coordinator. Alabama legend as a player, that's how I'll remember him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, because the press would have made sure the Texas-USC matchup did NOT happen, right?

If we'd somehow gone unbeaten then the same Tide fans who mocked Auburn in 2004 would still to this day be screaming about what an injustice was dealt Alabama in 2005. Oh, and then they'd cite all the SEC title wins AFTER 2005 as proof we'd have beaten USC or Texas, too.
We would have been the Peoples National Champion that year...

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
There's no way that team would have beat USC or Texas, even with those guys.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I appreciate Shula but can't seem to get that 2006 Iron Bowl memory of Auburn scoring the go ahead TD and Tuberville holding up that thumb as he was leaving the feild.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Am I the only one wondering why anyone really cares if Shula visited or not? Mr Shula is a reminder of the bad ole days and that "nobody would take the job" myth has been debunked here numerous times. I would prefer to remember the days he led the comebacks against UGA and Auburn and became the first Tide QB to ever beat Notre Dame. He's no Gene Jelks, okay? But the choice to stay away is his. Ex-spouses don't tend to come around the house of the happily and still on the honeymoon replacement spouse. I would hope he could come to some sort of mental peace given things like the passing of Kevin Turner, younger than Shula, and some others.
Sure those days were dark compared to other times at The University, but there were still coaches and players and support folks working hard to do the best they could for UA. I have a special admiration for guys like Croyle and Watts who came to Tuscaloosa in tough times

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
A good friend and his son bumped into Shula a couple of years ago and his son who was 12 at the time said "hey coach". Mike's response was "I'm sorry your a BAMA fan" and walked off. The kid had on a BAMA hat. I understand he was hurt he was fired but, IMO didn't have to say what he did.

I may be in the minority but, I think had Shula gone out a got a capable QB coach/OC and listened to Mal Moore, he could've had success. That said, I'm damn glad he didn't!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.