News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

IMO the coaching staff didn't do him right. You announce the kid the starter and then give the backup 2 more series to get something going in game 1? Something never felt right about all that. He shouldn't have left mid-season though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

IMO the coaching staff didn't do him right. You announce the kid the starter and then give the backup 2 more series to get something going in game 1? Something never felt right about all that. He shouldn't have left mid-season though.
First, he never named a starter in that game. The game plan all along was to give each 2 series and then go with the guy that looked best at that point. Barnett clearly looked overwhelmed while Hurts looked in control. Neither had done anything, but one clearly looked better than the other. And Barnett had chances in that game and the next to show that he really wasn't overwhelmed, but failed to do so until garbage time in the last game.

So this is on Saban?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Let's hope Jalen stays healthy... I like Cooper Bateman okay, but he doesn't have the "it" factor. I thought Blake could throw well but otherwise wasn't tough enough. I am thankful that AJ, Blake S, and Jake C stayed healthy pretty much the entire time during their years for us. Sure hope Jalen can too, especially with the amount of running he does. Barnett should have waited till the end of the year (unless an emergency/something bigger than football has happened).

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

Travis Reier, on Twitter, writes:

Given the timing, JUCO only destination that makes sense for Barnett.

Finish the season at JUCO and be out in spring.

That makes sense to me. Otherwise, why on earth would you transfer mid-season? Unless maybe you think you can get a waiver to regain this year's eligibility so that he'd still have 4 years to play?

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga

Like most on here, I am surprised at WHEN the move came...not that it wasn't coming. I wish him the best wherever he goes. I am glad he left in the sense that this shows a potential character flaw.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Very selfish and IMO stupid move on his part. Reeks of immaturity which might have been a problem all along, who knows.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That makes sense to me. Otherwise, why on earth would you transfer mid-season? Unless maybe you think you can get a waiver to regain this year's eligibility so that he'd still have 4 years to play?
He will not get a waiver for this. No hardship here.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Already saying Colorado, San Diego State or Washigbtin State.
And I would think being from California weighed into the decision. He was highly touted, he's young, probably having some issue's that we don't know about. I hope anyone over the age of 40 would not say things like "I hope he never plays another down again". Way over the top. And I am sure that same person would not say the same thing if it was his son. I think we should wait before crucifying him. I think it is a mental thing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

And I would think being from California weighed into the decision. He was highly touted, he's young, probably having some issue's that we don't know about. I hope anyone over the age of 40 would not say things like "I hope he never plays another down again". Way over the top. And I am sure that same person would not say the same thing if it was his son. I think we should wait before crucifying him.
Yes, I would. I have never allowed my boys to quit anything for a reason. Quitting is hard the first time that you do it, but it gets easier and easier as you do it again and again. Quitters are quitters for life.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Jalen could get a bad case of food poison tomorrow and he's starting against Kentucky. This isn't the third string punter or backup walk on fullback. If this was going to be his reaction to not winning the starting job, then he should have left before the season started. We wasted valuable time on his development that we could have either spent on Jalen or one of the other backups.
Fair enough but we have no way of knowing what he was hearing from the staff. We have a highly rated QB coming in next year and that might have played a part.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

He will not get a waiver for this. No hardship here.

What? You mean getting beat out by a true freshman is not a hardship?

Bub, you're as cold as I am. Not sure how that stands, in the big picture, but thankfully, it doesn't matter. :biggrin2:

Especially for Blake..............(I'll quit while I am still ahead.)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He was passed by a true freshman and played little. The writing was on the wall. I think he likely he had a sit down with Coach and decided to move on but I could be wrong.
Are you still bitter after him not playing more after the first two games?

How can he go JUCO now? I suspect it's too late to enroll in classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.