Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
IMHO...best way to deal with stuff like this is to just stay home and let the extremists march and do their thing.

Nothing good ever comes from clashing with another faction in a public place.

Free speech doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as confrontation.

Some people can't restrain themselves though......

To them I say good luck but don't blame me if you get hurt or killed....you could have stayed home or gone somewhere else and protested in another way.

YMMV.....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

The driver of the car that plowed into protesters was pictured holding a symbol of Vanguard America (above), a white supremacist group. His personal Facebook page prominently displays the Othela rune, a symbol frequently used by Neo-Nazis. Read more at the SPLC (LINK).

All available evidence shows this guy to be a white supremacist who committed an act of domestic terrorism. Watching the president repeatedly dodge reporters and steadfastly refuse to condemn white supremacy by name when directly asked continues a sickening trend that we've watched play out for nearly two years.
both sides, remember.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If you go to a contentious event with a shield or a helmet you are expecting trouble and ought not to go.
If you come with a club, you are intending to inflict harm and ought to be detained on sight by the police and held, at a minimum, until the event is over.
i do think their should be an exception for folks dressed up to go to dragon-con ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
If I'm in charge....I'm sending the message to stay away from these events......(of course, this doesn't help politicians or the media who are parasites off any kind of violence and tragedy).....

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
What a great way to spend a late summer afternoon. High temperatures, breath sucking humidity; and then go some place to get the crap beat out of you and arrested. I guess some people enjoy confrontation and violence.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What a great way to spend a late summer afternoon. High temperatures, breath sucking humidity; and then go some place to get the crap beat out of you and arrested. I guess some people enjoy confrontation and violence.
This stuff happens.....during baseball season.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
If you go to a contentious event with a shield or a helmet you are expecting trouble and ought not to go.
If you come with a club, you are intending to inflict harm and ought to be detained on sight by the police and held, at a minimum, until the event is over.
Amen TW. People at that demonstration wore helmets, kneepads and padded gloves. Shields of all kinds. Both sides. I'm surprised the authorities didn't block automobiles from the route.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Or Alabama in general.
I agree. I do think these idiots would have targeted Tuscaloosa if they had wanted to do it in this state. Then the media would have dug up the Wallace standing in the door videos. This incident won't make people think less of Virginia (the state or the university). But if it had been here or at Ole Miss, you know what the national reaction would have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Amen TW. People at that demonstration wore helmets, kneepads and padded gloves. Shields of all kinds. Both sides. I'm surprised the authorities didn't block automobiles from the route.
I think the whole mess moved over time. I've been to Emancipation Square and the downtown walking mall (where the vehicular homicide happened). The homicide was a few blocks from Square.
The whole thing is a mess.
I would include flagpoles as weapons, since I saw more than a few neo-nazi knuckleheads using them as weapons.
Detain those bearing weapons and release once the event is over. And I mean really over, as in Sunday morning, and then I would have had police drive them to their parked cars (or the edge of town) and tell them to head away from town and not turn around. That would have prevented the worst of this.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I think the whole mess moved over time. I've been to Emancipation Square and the downtown walking mall (where the vehicular homicide happened). The homicide was a few blocks from Square.
The whole thing is a mess.
I would include flagpoles as weapons, since I saw more than a few neo-nazi knuckleheads using them as weapons.
Detain those bearing weapons and release once the event is over. And I mean really over, as in Sunday morning, and then I would have had police drive them to their parked cars (or the edge of town) and tell them to head away from town and not turn around. That would have prevented the worst of this.
It would have been interesting to hear the Neo-nazis complain of police acting like Bull Connor

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This guy probably attended with bad intentions as well (who brings a can of spray paint to a protest? Unless maybe he thought a spontaneous street art exhibit was going to break out).
The spray paint was for his art......he's just a talented youth with no canvas for his masterpiece. He was painting "Peace and Love" on the steps -- and this floating torso with black boots (swinging a colorful stick) interrupted him.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This guy probably attended with bad intentions as well (who brings a can of spray paint to a protest? Unless maybe he thought a spontaneous street art exhibit was going to break out).
Wonder where he got that paint...been thinking about putting some flames on the side of my work truck.....:rolleyes:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Three people arrested Saturday in connection with the riots:

Troy Dunigan, 21, of Chattanooga, Tennessee, arrested and charged with disorderly conduct
Jacob L. Smith, 21, of Louisa, Virginia, arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault and battery
James M. O’Brien, 44, of Gainesville, Florida, concealed weapons violation

All out-of-towners (although Louisa is the next county over from Albemarle).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.