Bobby Williams going to Oregon as on field coach

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Did I read correctly that he's taking a $140,000 per year pay cut to move to Oregon?
Yes. But, he is still making decent money and wanted back on the field. Apparently he and Cristobal have a good relationship which probably makes the pay cut easier to accept.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I wish him luck, as well, but our staff is younger and hungrier now than it has been in a long time. Coach has made some great hires this past month, and I am just looking forward to seeing what the future brings.

rtr

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well he definitely got his vest into the retirement system now. Probably was eyeing to go when the situation was right. He'll be an asset for Oregon.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I’m kinda saddened with this, but to take a PAY CUT to get back on the field at OREGON?!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Very sad to see a long time assistant, and a QUALITY human being leaving Alabama, but its certainly understandable. If coaching is "in your blood" then you can't blame him.

And "Pay Cut" is a relative term. Yes, he's losing more pay than most of us make! But he's still being paid $300,000 a year. So its not like he's going to be looking for a night job to make ends meet! ;)

I pulled up Coach Williams' bio - didn't realize that he's been with Coach Saban off and on since 1990!!!! That's a long relationship, and a LOT of football wins!!!

Just as an aside, does anyone know who our longest serving assistant is now? Burton Burns maybe?
Or who on our staff has been with Coach Saban the longest?
Or how many of the coaches on the 2007 staff are still here at Alabama?

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Just as an aside, does anyone know who our longest serving assistant is now? Burton Burns maybe?
Burton Burns is the only on-field coach left from Saban's first staff. Joe Pendry has a behind the scenes role. Here's Saban's first staff at Bama:
Burton Burns - Assoc HC/RB
Joe Pendry - Asst HC Off/OL
Kirby Smart - Asst HC Def/Secondary
Major Applewhite - OC/QB
Keven Steele - DC/Inside LB
Curt Cignetti - WR/Recruiting Coord.
Rod Middleton - TE/ST
Bo Davis - DL
Lance Thompson - OLB

You also have Scott Cochran from the first season as well.

Very sad to see a long time assistant, and a QUALITY human being leaving Alabama, but its certainly understandable. If coaching is "in your blood" then you can't blame him.

And "Pay Cut" is a relative term. Yes, he's losing more pay than most of us make! But he's still being paid $300,000 a year. So its not like he's going to be looking for a night job to make ends meet! ;)

I pulled up Coach Williams' bio - didn't realize that he's been with Coach Saban off and on since 1990!!!! That's a long relationship, and a LOT of football wins!!!

I understand. Oregon is just too cold for my liking.

But I’m not trying to be a coach so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I wish him luck, as well, but our staff is younger and hungrier now than it has been in a long time. Coach has made some great hires this past month, and I am just looking forward to seeing what the future brings.

rtr
Guess that Bobby Williams going to Oregon opens up another coaching slot at Alabama.
I hope Coach Saban has another 'Home Run Hire' tucked away in his book of contacts.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Entirely possible he was trying to get his "high three" for retirement purposes up by sticking around and this was all in the cards (and he knew he'd be taking a cut at the next job).

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Guess that Bobby Williams going to Oregon opens up another coaching slot at Alabama.
I hope Coach Saban has another 'Home Run Hire' tucked away in his book of contacts.
He has been in an off the field role the last two years.

Last edited by a moderator:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
SIAP- he’s also taking a pretty good pay cut to go to Oregon. Sounds like he really wants on the field. He’s done a lot behind the scenes the past two years. He’s helped build a championship program and recruited some great talent to T’town for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Entirely possible he was trying to get his "high three" for retirement purposes up by sticking around and this was all in the cards (and he knew he'd be taking a cut at the next job).
Just for fun, looking at the RSA retirement calculator available on the web, Coach Williams should be able to collect well over $7,000 a month in pension once he reaches retirement age. Or stated another way, his pension will be more than double the median household income for Alabamians.

I'd say that's worth "hanging around" in a off-field position the extra two years, huh?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.