What I see after Week 2

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps if they'd left Lawrence in there more he would've thrown a pick that led directly or indirectly to points, costing them the win. In a game that close, getting two takeaways while not turning the ball over yourself matters a lot.
They have the same problem we did. Bryant is a carbon copy of Jalen Hurts and it has been obvious since the Sugar bowl. With a down the field threat Clemson could be unstoppable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1. Yes, Arkansas really does have a Cheerleader for a HC.

2. Georgia's slaying of SC once again shows that recruiting rankings are important -- unless you have a 1st year HC. see Florida, Nebraska, Arizona & etc. Then of course there are the Stanfords of the sport who continually smack down teams with better recruits -- are you listening Southern Cal, and Texas too.
Frosty lost and I’m overjoyed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not sure what everyone else's perception is of the college football landscape in the SEC after this weekend. But I am curious of your take. Mine?

1 - Georgia = for real
2 - TAMU is officially a huge threat to our SECW dominance.
3 - Florida has a lot of work to do.
I think the verdict is still out on TAMU and Mond.

I think Mond had a Steven Garcia game on Clemson. He had tons of throws that were "amazing" and a few that I thought were "lucky." I don't think he'll be able to produce that kind of highlight reel all year long. JMO.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Before all the nervous nellies start worrying about ole miss....please consider that they struggled against the mighty salukis.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
1. If Georgia doesn’t win the East, they will have only themselves to blame. The rest of that division is garbage.

2. Taggert at FSU is in way over his head. In that same thought, Clemson should now have smooth sailing to the playoff.

3. Still not a fan of the QB rotation.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Might have the best receiving corps in the league and Ta’amu is a good QB, but a defense that can’t tackle their way our of a wet paper bag. They’ll score, but Bama will cruise.
It will be a shootout I think. Maybe 2014 Iron Bowl like. The Ole Miss WR's are freaks and their QB is a Playmaker.

This needs to be the game where the QB rotation stuff stops. Once the Offense gets in a Rhythm with Tua we need to stick with it.

My fear is getting up 24-7 or something early and yanking him to bring in #2 and we have a few 3 and outs and Ole Miss scores 2 quick TD's to make it 24-21 to take momentum and when Tua comes back in the Offense can't get back on track right away and we fall behind....

I think we'd eventually get back on track and still win but not before I'd have to take some Prilosec.

If we let Tua loose from the start though I don't think they would get closer than 21-28 points behind us no matter the final score.

I'm nervous about the QB shuffling for real.

It will be a shootout I think. Maybe 2014 Iron Bowl like. The Ole Miss WR's are freaks and their QB is a Playmaker.

This needs to be the game where the QB rotation stuff stops. Once the Offense gets in a Rhythm with Tua we need to stick with it.

My fear is getting up 24-7 or something early and yanking him to bring in #2 and we have a few 3 and outs and Ole Miss scores 2 quick TD's to make it 24-21 to take momentum and when Tua comes back in the Offense can't get back on track right away and we fall behind....

I think we'd eventually get back on track and still win but not before I'd have to take some Prilosec.

If we let Tua loose from the start though I don't think they would get closer than 21-28 points behind us no matter the final score.

I'm nervous about the QB shuffling for real.
I don’t think we’ll see a QB rotation this game until probably the 4th qtr because we’re up big.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
They have the same problem we did. Bryant is a carbon copy of Jalen Hurts and it has been obvious since the Sugar bowl. With a down the field threat Clemson could be unstoppable.
I dont think their quarterback situation is as cut-and-dry as ours was. Bryant may not be the best quarterback but he's not afraid to pull the trigger.. Lawrence isn't in the same zip code as our guy was so it's not one of those situations where he has to be in based on his arm.. Lawrence looked like the backup

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
What I see after week 2..... The SEC West is tough. Thats all I have to say about that.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm officially concerned about our OL play and our punting.

On the OL, We're going to see blitzes and stacked lines until we prove we can counter that. Last year, we saw stacked defenses because Jalen couldn't make them respect the pass. Tua definitely commands that respect. But I think they see our OL as the weak point now. If you drop 5-6 into coverage, Tua still picks you apart, so what's the marginal risk if you have only 4? At least with bringing 7, you have a chance to get to him.

Preseason, I thought the OL was going to be the best since 2012...and maybe even rival 2012. So far, it isn't looking that way, and we should have been able to steamroll UL and ASU with simple straight-ahead push. Much tougher tests lie ahead. We've got to get this tightened up, or we lose 1 and maybe 2 games in the SEC-W.

Punting -- slow to get the ball out and short kicks when he does. I know JK Scott spoiled us, but opponents will send the house against DeLong until he shows he can make them pay. So far, he hasn't.

PK, I'm willing to reserve judgment until Boulovas does all PKs for a couple of games. At a human level, I feel bad for Austin Jones. But you just can't miss 3 XPs in 2 games.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm officially concerned about our OL play and our punting.

On the OL, We're going to see blitzes and stacked lines until we prove we can counter that. Last year, we saw stacked defenses because Jalen couldn't make them respect the pass. Tua definitely commands that respect. But I think they see our OL as the weak point now. If you drop 5-6 into coverage, Tua still picks you apart, so what's the marginal risk if you have only 4? At least with bringing 7, you have a chance to get to him.

Preseason, I thought the OL was going to be the best since 2012...and maybe even rival 2012. So far, it isn't looking that way, and we should have been able to steamroll UL and ASU with simple straight-ahead push. Much tougher tests lie ahead. We've got to get this tightened up, or we lose 1 and maybe 2 games in the SEC-W.
I agree and I'm worried about the OL too. Tua is getting off a lot of passes because he is so shifty in the pocket but pressure is getting to where he's at in the pocket waaaaaaaay to much. If we had a statue QB we would probably have been sacked 10-15 times already.

The Run blocking isn't doing very well either. Like you say we aren't getting much of a push at all. A lot of our better runs is the RB making a cutback and finding a lane that wasn't there by design.

I've said numerous times since 2013-14 that I'd back the Brinks truck up to Jeff Stoutland's house to get him back. Shatter the College pay scale for OL coaches if need be but that guy can Coach an OL up.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Might have the best receiving corps in the league and Ta’amu is a good QB, but a defense that can’t tackle their way our of a wet paper bag. They’ll score, but Bama will cruise.
Ole Miss had 35 points at halftime against the Salukis . . . and were TRAILING!!!! LOL.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
You do realize that Kelly Bryant was a 66% passer a year ago right? He’s a pretty good QB but Clemson’s offense is predictable, and has been for a while.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
- Our offensive line is a huge concern for me. Call it vanilla, but they should have dominated the Dlines we have played so far. Dominated. Having a lot of trouble on offense with blitz packages from defenses. Tua has bailed us out with moving around and quick release.
- There is no QB rotation from what I see. We have a starter and backup that comes in for mop up after we get a 3 TD lead. It just so happens those leads are very early in the game.
- linebacking corp not up to standards so far, for that fact the Dline isn’t either , but they can improve. I never liked the idea of ESPNs Training Days. Especially on Defense, they seemed to ham it up for the camera instead of 100% focus on practice. I hope that is the reason for the early defensive problems, now that the cameras are gone they will improve.
- Arkansas st is a pretty good offensive team, and Petrino is a pretty good offensive coach , and those two factors have made the defense look less than stellar, especially given the preseason distractions, but that doesn’t explain the offensive line woes.
- my observations are probably over reactions to minor problems within the team, and all will be good by the team the real schedule begins.
- Georgia is pretty good, so is Oklahoma. My rankings at this point would be OU, UGA , Bama . Or Bama, Ou, UGA or UGA, Bama! OU. Doesn’t matter the order, Those are the top 3teams , then there is a drop off from there to Clemson, tOSU, and the rest.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You do realize that Kelly Bryant was a 66% passer a year ago right? He’s a pretty good QB but Clemson’s offense is predictable, and has been for a while.
Jalen was a 65.2% passer entering the playoff in 2016, too.

Completion pct is one of the most misleading stats out there since a QB can throw a short out to Ardarius Stewart, watch him do all the work, and then even though he only threw the ball five yards, he gets credit for 30 off of high pct passes.

Bryant's only real problem is that he isn't DeShaun Watson.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Bama is the most dangerous offense in college and we can still improve drastically. Thats scary!

UGA is solid but not on Bamas talent level.

UF and USCe were pretenders.

LSU and A&M are not as good as their first two games would have some to believe.

Vandy & Kentucky have stepped up their game.

AU has both OL and RB issues.

Ole Miss D is horriffic.

Miss St is pedestrian.

All others are irrelevant.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Sorry. I don’t see A&M as a threat this season. UGA Agreed.
No, I don't see them as a threat this season either. But over the next few years they most certainly will be. That team looked 100% better last night than anytime under the previous regime. Regarding Bama, yea, we have some problems to correct and believe the O Line and entire defensive unit will improve as the season progresses. I mean, through the first two games our results are a combined 108-21. Not bad, but I know we are working towards perfection in this thing called The Process. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.