2019 Prospect: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) commits to UGA

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It does explain alot. I just figured he was a Bama boy, born and bred, but this makes more sense and explains why he was so slow to pull the trigger.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I never understand when a recruit commits somewhere based solely on their recruiter or position coach. Serious question. When is the last time a position coach was at the same SEC school for a full recruiting cycle i.e. 4-5 years. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Probably has to do with the fact that most head coaches don't last that long in the SEC..

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I never understand when a recruit commits somewhere based solely on their recruiter or position coach. Serious question. When is the last time a position coach was at the same SEC school for a full recruiting cycle i.e. 4-5 years. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Probably has to do with the fact that most head coaches don't last that long in the SEC..
Kirby under CNS??

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Burton Burns

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
The more I think about this situation the more I believe this guy was just playing the recruiting game and trying to make Bama look bad to be honest. I really feel like this kid has been UGA all along {or at least for several months} and per Kirby did not make his commit to Georgia public until recently. That way it makes UGA look like they "stole" a prize recruit from Bama right before the early signing period and puts the dawgs in the spotlight. We all know Kirby has been doing these kinds of things every since he has left Bama, and if that is what it takes to make him sleep at night then so be it. Bottom line is this kid is not going to make or break the class and for that matter no kid is. The Bama recruiting train is going to keep rolling regardless of what Kirby or UGA does. In the end he is just making himself look foolish and I believe if I'm not mistaken Bama continues to beat them where it really matters on the gridiron.

Last edited:

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
The more I think about this situation the more I believe this guy was just playing the recruiting game and trying to make Bama look bad to be honest. I really feel like this kid has been UGA all along {or at least for several months} and per Kirby did not make his commit to Georgia public until recently. That way it makes UGA look like they "stole" a prize recruit from Bama right before the early signing period and puts the dawgs in the spotlight. We all know Kirby has been doing these kinds of things every since he has left Bama, and if that is what it takes to make him sleep at night then so be it. Bottom line is this kid is not going to make or break the class and for that matter no kid is. The Bama recruiting train is going to keep rolling regardless of what Kirby or UGA does. In the end he is just making himself look foolish and I believe if I'm not mistaken Bama continues to beat them where it really matters on the gridiron.
It doesn't matter what the motivation is . . . I would rather play for a coach who wins championships than a coach who talks about maybe winning the big game in the future . . . if the stars align. I think it's going to be several years before Kirby might deliver . . . it's not just about x and o's, it's mental toughness, coaching, and the it factor, and Saban didn't develop those attributes overnight, as Kirby is finding out.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
... not sure exactly who you are referring to here in the highlighted text, but if it is Webb you are speaking of, I would disagree.

Clay Webb has not made himself look foolish at all. If anyone looks foolish, it might be the media and fanbase.

It appears that the media and the fanbase has ridden the "presumptuous" horse as fast and far as they could ride it.

I have not seen where Clay has made any statements or promises to anyone about where he was headed, prior to his decision.

... some of us act as if he was obligated to let us know where he was going, before he wanted us to know.

... and now that he has made his decision public, we somehow feel that we have been wronged, because he chose somewhere else.

For some reason, keeping your thoughts to yourself and not divulging everything to the media is considered "playing the recruiting game" - however, one could argue that "playing the recruiting game" is, in fact, the complete opposite of that.

Again, I might have misread the highlighted text, but I think Webb has been anything but foolish.

According to what I have read, he has plenty of reasons to choose the bulldogs, and while I would rather see him in Crimson, I can't fault the young man for making, what he considers to be, the best decision for his future.

Just my two cents, of course :)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Kirby under CNS??
Burton Burns
That’s kind of my point. Maybe a few coaches and both mentioned have been at Alabama but nobody really commits to Alabama because of position coaches. Just think players should be more forward looking rather than commit because of a single coach who probably won’t be there for the duration of their college career..

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
... not sure exactly who you are referring to here in the highlighted text, but if it is Webb you are speaking of, I would disagree.

Clay Webb has not made himself look foolish at all. If anyone looks foolish, it might be the media and fanbase.

It appears that the media and the fanbase has ridden the "presumptuous" horse as fast and far as they could ride it.

I have not seen where Clay has made any statements or promises to anyone about where he was headed, prior to his decision.

... some of us act as if he was obligated to let us know where he was going, before he wanted us to know.

... and now that he has made his decision public, we somehow feel that we have been wronged, because he chose somewhere else.

For some reason, keeping your thoughts to yourself and not divulging everything to the media is considered "playing the recruiting game" - however, one could argue that "playing the recruiting game" is, in fact, the complete opposite of that.

Again, I might have misread the highlighted text, but I think Webb has been anything but foolish.

According to what I have read, he has plenty of reasons to choose the bulldogs, and while I would rather see him in Crimson, I can't fault the young man for making, what he considers to be, the best decision for his future.

Just my two cents, of course :)
I am talking about Kirby looking foolish because of his recruiting antics not Webb. As I stated I think Webb was just playing the "game" as Kirby asked him to, but these games are going to end up biting Kirby in the you know what in my opinion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am talking about Kirby looking foolish because of his recruiting antics not Webb. As I stated I think Webb was just playing the "game" as Kirby asked him to, but these games are going to end up biting Kirby in the you know what in my opinion.
Thanks for that clarification. I misinterpreted that post, too. As for Kirby - I think that you guys give him too much credit. I think that Webb was going to be almost impossible to pull away from GA. Not because of Kirby, but because his parents are Bulldogs. After the pain that Bulldogs fans have felt at Alabama's hands, did you really think that a loving son would choose Alabama? Even if he wanted to attend Alabama, could he have after the SECCG?

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
... duly noted, thanks for setting me straight :)

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
A different perspective... the overwhelming majority of Georgia fans felt Webb was a Bama lock from Day 1. Because Clay kept his recruitment close to the vest by shying away from Social Media and the press, we didn't know about his family history or other details that came out after his announcement.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I find it hard to believe that a fanbase like yours had no idea that his folks graduated from UGA...
A different perspective... the overwhelming majority of Georgia fans felt Webb was a Bama lock from Day 1. Because Clay kept his recruitment close to the vest by shying away from Social Media and the press, we didn't know about his family history or other details that came out after his announcement.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I find it hard to believe that a fanbase like yours had no idea that his folks graduated from UGA...
It was only recently reported that his sister went to Georgia and even then we didn't think that would be a factor in his decision. Clay when he did speak, said flattering things about Bama's culture and winning tradition. If you look at the track record of trying to pull 5*'s out of the state of Alabama you can get a better perspective on why we thought Webb was a Bama lock.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
He was a GA kid masquerading as a Bama kid from day 1
Exactly and I may be the only one but I truly think this was orchestrated by Kirby and company so it would look like they took a big one from Bama right before early signing day. To be honest I'm actually surprised he is not committed to Bama right now so he can do his "surprising" flip next week and sign with them Wednesday.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
He was a GA kid masquerading as a Bama kid from day 1
Totally agree. His whole family is Jawja. His mother just took a job in Bama. I'm sure Kirby used it as a stealth project so Bama would waste their time on Webb. This is a closed subject. I know CNS knew what was up and He's not lost any sleep over it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.