Staying Calm During Stressful Games

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I've had multiple people ask me what I was doing for the game - like I was gonna go out to Buffalo Wild Wings or come over to their place and "chill and watch the game." Screw those idiots. I'm alone in my home with my wife where I don't have to varnish a bit of my emotions, can wear comfy clothes, raid my fridge, drink my own beer, and hit my own can.

For real, nobody actually wants to watch a bama game with me. The last game I watched with someone was against Tennessee in 2015 when we won it right at the end. I thought I was going to have an aneurysm from keeping my emotions in check.
We muff a play and internally I'm going full 4 letter, wishing I could slap something, chewing out players but in real life I just turn to my buddy and am like: "Whew - tough one."

Nah. I said all the stuf earlier about it not affecting my life but that doesn't mean I don't get ratcheted op for a moment or 2 during these types of games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've had multiple people ask me what I was doing for the game - like I was gonna go out to Buffalo Wild Wings or come over to their place and "chill and watch the game." Screw those idiots. I'm alone in my home with my wife where I don't have to varnish a bit of my emotions, can wear comfy clothes, raid my fridge, drink my own beer, and hit my own can.

For real, nobody actually wants to watch a bama game with me. The last game I watched with someone was against Tennessee in 2015 when we won it right at the end. I thought I was going to have an aneurysm from keeping my emotions in check.
We muff a play and internally I'm going full 4 letter, wishing I could slap something, chewing out players but in real life I just turn to my buddy and am like: "Whew - tough one."

Nah. I said all the stuf earlier about it not affecting my life but that doesn't mean I don't get ratcheted op for a moment or 2 during these types of games.
Wait, you can eat during games? :eek:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm reading this thread to try and get some tips because I have none to give. I just can't stay calm during games. I don't follow professional sports like I did when I was younger so if Bama loses I just can't move on to pro sports and root for my favorite team there. Bama football has been the only thing that's kept my interest over the past 40+ years so if we lose I must just deal with the disappointment until Bama football starts next season.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Apple Cider with apple pie spices and a N. Ga. Mountain white wiskey to sooth my screaming throat and a good soft ottoman to beat on. Yes I calm down the following day, with or without a hangover is the question.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I find that cursing helps. Unfortunately, that keeps me from watching games with my fellow church members.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
lol. Yah, I actually find that it also helps calm me down. Forcing myself to do something normal helps normalize the situation. So if I'm eating some snacks or making myself like fold clothes, then that really helps bring me back into real life.

Of course I don't put the clothes away because that would require me to leave the room, but I'll fold them. Tasks that are repetitive. but demand that you look down to make tiny decisions every now and again help. (Nope that's a t-shirt - damn, that shouldn't have gone through the dryer - when did my wife wear this underwear and why didn't I see it? - that sort of thing).

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Ain't no remedy man just gotta mitigate it the best way possible - pacing, beer, schnapps, head in the freezer...something will come to mind. This will be a stressful one so I need to get prepared I know that.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I do not eat or drink during stressful games. I am usually standing up just to the right side of a huge TV holding a football and pacing. Fortunately a two score cushion puts me at ease. Beyond two scores I transition outside to finish the game with a cigar.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I used to get way mad. I’ve broken things. My little girl was diagnosed with a rate genetic disorder called GA-1. It changed my whole out look on what’s improtant. She’s four now and doing good.

I’m now at the place I will turn the game off if I get upset. It’s just not worth it. I will check the score and game situation in my phone and turn it back on later in most cases. Rewind on the DVR makes my life easier. I’ll just go play a computer game. I’m big into computer gaming so that gets my mind in something else for ten if fifteen minutes.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
How many packs of gum have you bought in preparation for this game? Respect for making that jump. Stick with it.
I tried gorging on Chicken Wings. Got sticky fingers from the sauce, and from
Ranch Dressing.
I'M TERRIBLE COMPANY DURING SOME BIG GAMES...
(But I eat good)

Last edited:

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
This has been a great read at the end of the day . . . thank you for starting the thread. Over the past month I've visited forums for GA, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, Texas, Auburn and a few others . . . and Tidefans is the absolute best with threads and posts. Tidefans has gotten me through the last month. During the game I will read comments and occasionally post - sometimes irrationally like when I called a player a moron during the Oklahoma game. It was such a bonehead play but I know I should have paused before hitting the send button.
I only drink water during the games, and rarely eat. I prefer to be alone though my son and wife will occasionally make it through the first quarter before bailing. My son is five and asks after every play, is that a touchdown daddy? Cute when Bama is doing well . . .
Thanks again for starting the thread and all the posts . . . a great way to end the work day.
Roll Tide.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I just told my wife that I want to be finished eating tonight before the game starts.

If I am trying to eat during the game it doesn’t go well. My stomach is turned up in knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I find that cursing helps. Unfortunately, that keeps me from watching games with my fellow church members.
Find a different church or start watching the game away from the fellowship hall. :) :-O

A church is a hospital for us sinners, not a sanctuary for all the self appointed saints.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I just told my wife that I want to be finished eating before the game starts.

If I am trying to eat during the game it doesn’t go well. My stomach is turned up in knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my house, everyone has to be done eating, burping, farting, peeing, pooping, coughing, sneezing, singing, dancing, talking, and walking by TV airtime - and that includes the dogs.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.