Wake forest extends football coach in 8-year deal

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
“Dave Clawson, 51, is 28-35 in five years at Wake Forest but has recorded winning records and bowl victories in each of the past three seasons. He is 118-115 overall as a head coach at Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green and Wake Forest.”

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26639542/wake-forest-gives-new-8-year-deal-clawson

I’m thankful everyday that we don’t look at a 28-35 record as “extension-worthy!” Wow! Of course, at WFU, his last 3 years actually are extension-worthy...at WFU.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
They are a mid level basketball school that is grateful to have inherited a Power5 Conference spot. Making bowl games will get Dave Clawson in their ring of honor.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
His name seems to pop up every time a mid-tier job opening is mentioned, so I guess this makes sense for Wake. His only real accomplishment has been to make bowl games, but in reality, that is about all that matters to the school. If they get a coach who manages to win 10 or 11 games once, he's likely to be plucked away by a bigger school and paycheck anyway. Monetarily, getting a bowl pay-out every year, even is it is a minor bowl, is the best deal for them long-term.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Wake, like Vanderbilt will be happy with a 6-6 season and a trip to B'ham or Shreveport or any bowl anywhere.
The fans will tire of it if and when it becomes commonplace, but the administration and bean counters won't. It is preferable over a breakout year followed by a decade in the doldrums and then another breakout year to them.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Frankly, I get it. Wake is a private school in the ACC with a limited football history (only two conference championships). They have a coach that has taken them to three straight bowl games. He inherited a team that had not had a winning record since 2008 and then in three years had them winning each year and winning all their bowl games. For a school like Wake, that is a smart deal to lock him in, much like Duke did with Cutcliffe.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Yes and they made a BCS bowl. I believe the Orange Bowl, as winners of the ACC. Jim Grobe was their HC. Some will recall he was mentioned in relation to Alabama's job around the fRAN departure, I think.
I attended that game. Against Louisville. I am a Wake alum (undergraduate and master's) and felt that would be the last time in my life that I would be able to see Wake Forest in a major bowl. I was right. Glad I went.

Actually, as a fan I had a pretty good year. Alabama made the championship game, and Virginia (where I got my Ph.D.) won the national basketball championship. Came that close to winning the both

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.