First a Final Four, and now this?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The Aubs are kicking down the road the convention that the non-lottery state teams can't get it done. Being honest, I never really thought that they were that good, but a tip o' the cap to them, they are where we all wanted badly to be.

rtr

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree and will tip my cap to the teams for their accomplishments , but the big majority of their fans can stick it. Its tough living near enemy territory right now I'll just leave it at that.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Living proof that the lack of lottery scholarships is not the be-all, end-all in being able to make a successful postseason run. What it does, however, is help make those runs occur more frequently and consistently.

As far as this AU team though, I'd argue that last year's team was the "better" team, they just ran into the misfortune of having to play a very good UF team. What Butch has done with this group is remarkable, especially when you consider two of their better pitchers have missed significant time due to injury (Burns and Owen). This team just "gets it done" though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The issue hasn’t been that lottery states can’t do it, but that they are at a disadvantage. MSU, OM, and Arkansas all suffer from the same issue of the lack of lottery scholarships that Alabama does, but the difference is that they actually make a strong effort to having elite programs. Alabama only cares about 1 sport.

3/8 teams in Omaha don’t have lottery scholarships.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, I think we have to put that to rest now. Ole Miss plays baseball at an elite level and why should they have a better program than Alabama? They shouldn't. Period. It has been done. It can be done. Let's just hope it will be done.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
The issue in the past has been that Alabama has only cared about football, signing day, and spring football. Basketball, baseball, essentially all other sports were not even afterthoughts, they were never-thoughts. Hopefully, we've now got an administration that will do what it needs to be successful in all sports (or at least a majority of them).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Pretty good for a football school. Honestly we should just start claiming UNC as a dependent on our tax returns.

ETA: But yeah you could make the argument that this has been the best all around season in Auburn history.

Basketball-Men:Final 4
Basketball-Women:NCAA Tournament
Baseball:CWS
Softball:NCAA Tournament
Football:Bowl win

Just hope Gus can find a way to catch the football program back up.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
The not being a lottery state theory is hogwash period. Bama has competed in baseball before (they did it year after year when Wells was coach) and there is no reason it can not do the same again. Nobody can reasonably expect the team to make the CWS every year. But expecting them to make a regional every year or least most years is not being unreasonable. Bama is in the SEC and should be competitive in EVERY sport and not be labeled as a one sport school as most of our conference brethren are laughing it up about currently.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
They've had a good year but it doesn't come close to our 2012:

Football – National Champs
Softball – National Champs
Gymnastics – National Champs
Women’s Golf – National Champs
Men’s Golf – National Runners-up
Men’s Basketball – NCAA Tourney

Also, giving credit when/where it's due: he didn't include that horse jumping championship they beat A&M for in his list.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The not being a lottery state theory is hogwash period. Bama has competed in baseball before (they did it year after year when Wells was coach) and there is no reason it can not do the same again. Nobody can reasonably expect the team to make the CWS every year. But expecting them to make a regional every year or least most years is not being unreasonable. Bama is in the SEC and should be competitive in EVERY sport and not be labeled as a one sport school as most of our conference brethren are laughing it up about currently.
I wouldn’t totally dismiss the lottery aspect because it is a significant advantage some teams have over others, but it’s more important to have an AD that is geared towards success in a baseball program. I think Byrne might be the 1st in awhile to really value multi sport success. Battle probably set us back in both baseball and basketball to the point that even next year we are probably in the same situation with slightly better results in both sports

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I wouldn’t totally dismiss the lottery aspect because it is a significant advantage some teams have over others, but it’s more important to have an AD that is geared towards success in a baseball program. I think Byrne might be the 1st in awhile to really value multi sport success. Battle probably set us back in both baseball and basketball to the point that even next year we are probably in the same situation with slightly better results in both sports
This! I think we will be improved in both. I think baseball will make hoover and a regional. Basketball will make the ncaa’s, just neither one at the seeding or locations we expect to be (hosting).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This! I think we will be improved in both. I think baseball will make hoover and a regional. Basketball will make the ncaa’s, just neither one at the seeding or locations we expect to be (hosting).
Oats has me convinced we may be looking at a 2nd round team next year

Bo will make Hoover next year, but I’m unsure about a regional. Gaspards laziness at the end and Goff’s total destruction of the baseball program may have set us back to the Stone Age as a program. We are going to have to be a little more patient with Bo than we are usually with coaches because he will eventually get us to where we want to be it’s just a long process.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
My older son played with and against a lot of the kids at au now (in high school). Coach Thompson with Coach Bo Did a good job recruiting great players that are quality kids to boot. My younger son is playing with and against a lot of Coach Bo’s recruits/commits now. Great players and quality kids...he laid the blueprint at au and younsee how it worked. He’s using the same print at UA. The future is bright!

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Does the UA Athletic Department still refuse to waive out of state tuition costs for athletes?
UA participates in something called the Academic Common Market, which is essentially a program that lets out-of-state students attend an out-of-state school for in-state tuition provided that the degree they are seeking is not available at an in-state school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.