Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
He played against a pretty good defense in the SECCG last year. I know that they prepared for Tua, but that was still remarkable since GA played against Jalen the year before, so they had a plan for him.

The Jalen Hurts that played in 2018 was far better than the player that started for Alabama the previous 2 seasons.
Along that line of thought I tend to believe that there are several teams and players who are going to compete hard to get into the playoffs this year. I think of Jack Fromm, Joe Burrow, Jalen and needless to say Trevor Lawrence. It is healthy to recognize that Dabo, Riley and Smart are going to be forces to be reckoned with for years to come. Different but very effective approaches. Who is going to emerge to become a force from the BIG?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He played against a pretty good defense in the SECCG last year. I know that they prepared for Tua, but that was still remarkable since GA played against Jalen the year before, so they had a plan for him.

The Jalen Hurts that played in 2018 was far better than the player that started for Alabama the previous 2 seasons.
No question he stepped up and did what he was asked to do. Completed some GREAT throws and used his feet and without his performance, we don't beat Georgia.

The "question" about Jalen is can he do that all the time?

It's not a slight against Jalen to say he's probably best with a quick read/throw and then using his feet. I think that's how OU will use him. While he might have improved his pocket play, it would be a shame for him to not use his greatest strength, which is his legs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Along that line of thought I tend to believe that there are several teams and players who are going to compete hard to get into the playoffs this year. I think of Jack Fromm, Joe Burrow, Jalen and needless to say Trevor Lawrence. It is healthy to recognize that Dabo, Riley and Smart are going to be forces to be reckoned with for years to come. Different but very effective approaches. Who is going to emerge to become a force from the BIG?
I will be shocked if any team other than UM wins the B1G this year. If they do not win the B1G, Harbaugh will be fired.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
This is a great question and an excellent thread. When I first read the question I thought "Tua of course" but some of the commenters made great points in Jalen's favor. Tua will definitely prevail on yards per pass and pass completion percentage, but Jalen is likely to get much more playing time, so it could be close. I think our D will be much better, which means that some games may be even bigger blowouts than last year, and Tua may get pulled even earlier in a lot of games. I also think CNS may want to maximize the opportunity for both Taulia and Tyson to get some in-game reps, and each could play a lot in four games without losing a redshirt.

Even though Jalen will get more snaps, and face weaker defenses, to me the deciding factor is the quality of our receivers. With Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and Waddle back and another year of chemistry between them and Tua I just think his passing efficiency numbers are going to be so ridiculous that he will lead the nation in most passing categories, possibly even in total passing yards, even if he plays less than last year.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If our schedule is as "easy" as everyone is saying it is -- I just don't see how Jalen can accomplish more than Tua throwing. I just don't see it. Unless you believe Riley is a miracle worker. If he was a 4000 or 5000 yard passer (as some are speculating) -- he'd have held on to his job.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If our schedule is as "easy" as everyone is saying it is -- I just don't see how Jalen can accomplish more than Tua throwing. I just don't see it. Unless you believe Riley is a miracle worker. If he was a 4000 or 5000 yard passer (as some are speculating) -- he'd have held on to his job.
If Alabama's schedule is "easy", then OU's schedule is a complete joke. Your schedule is far from easy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's not as simple as how easy the schedule is.

Tua and Jalen averaged 11.4 and 11.3 yards per attempt last year (combined they averaged 11.38 yards per attempt). Kyler Murray averaged 11.9 yards per attempt. Not a massive difference. Jalen and Tua combined for 361 attempts, and Kyler threw for 340 attempts. If Jalen throws 340 times in 2019 with the same 11.3 average, he'll throw for 3,842 yards. If Tua throws 361 passes at 11.4 yards, he'll throw for 4,115 yards.

Do we expect him to throw that many passes? The most a Saban QB has thrown was Blake Sims's 355 in 2014, which was many of Kiffin's behind the LOS passes.

If it is as simple as how easy the schedule is, look at who is the more complete team. Because Alabama is the more complete team, the QB isn't required to do as much. Therefore, Tua won't have the chances to put up the numbers that Jalen will. Kyler had to put up points because OU's defense was so bad (evident in the first half of the Orange Bowl).

Something to consider for Jalen, though, will be the inexperience on the OL. OU had four guys drafted this past year IIRC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Something to consider for Jalen, though, will be the inexperience on the OL. OU had four guys drafted this past year IIRC.
IOW, we'll find out real fast how much progress Jalen has made about standing in the pocket and going thru progressions.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think Jalen simply because he's a senior QB going against flag football defenses with some decent receivers.

Get ready for the stories about how his development at Alabama was "hindered" by Saban and "what a genius Lincoln Riley is" for "turning Hurts into a first-rate passer."

And none of it will be true as written. But get ready for the Revisionism Railroad out of the station.
I hadn't thought about that. I hope that isn't the case, but you may be right. Most rational people will be aware that Tua is a pretty good counter-argument... so oh well. Regardless, excited to see what Lincoln Riley's system can do for him. Would be awesome if he shows enough on the field to get drafted (as a QB) next year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Jalen and probably by a lot. I think we're going to see CNS pull back on how much "air show" we see from Tua and the passing game this season. I expect to see more ground and pound, clock eating style offense in 2019.
I think Jalen will have that honor.
First... Jalen has worked on his passing game. He is good.
Second... OK. Does Not have the personnel to pound it out on the ground, we do.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Here's the most recent betting odds (as of July 3) from Bovada on the 2019 Heisman race. I think it ties into this thread somewhat because right now the feeling is that Tua will do slightly better than Jalen. I don't know if people are basing this on more passing yards, better QBR, or something else.

Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) +260

Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama) +300

Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma) +650

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
No question he stepped up and did what he was asked to do. Completed some GREAT throws and used his feet and without his performance, we don't beat Georgia.

The "question" about Jalen is can he do that all the time?

It's not a slight against Jalen to say he's probably best with a quick read/throw and then using his feet. I think that's how OU will use him. While he might have improved his pocket play, it would be a shame for him to not use his greatest strength, which is his legs.
But that depends on what his end goal is. If his goal is only to win games, then using his legs a lot is great. If he wants to win, but also has an end goal to make it to the NFL, he's going to need to prove he's more than one read and run. Not that he should be a stationary target but he should be striving to first go through reads, then extend play with his legs while still looking to pass (which he started to do much better at the end of last season, showing a lot of growth so he just needs to continue that progression) and when all else fails, take off and run.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think Jalen will throw for more yards if he stays injury-free. He will play more than Tua and he will play against mediocre defenses. Tua will still throw for lots of yards, but I am not sure if it will be as many as last year.

I hope BAMA runs the ball more, especially when it seems to work (instead of going away from it so quickly). I cannot wait until football season starts!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The gap in defenses they are going against is significant. Hurts will pass for more yards.
No doubt the defenses we'll face will be better but that didn't seem to stop us last year either. And this year, with our guys being Jr.s they are going to be a well-oiled machine!

And someone noted earlier that OU's offensive line is pretty much starting all over this year.

On paper, this has got to be the best offense in the history of Bama football.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I’ve seen a lot of talk about the horrible defenses Jalen will face and that is true however what I haven’t seen is that fact that OU’s defense was downright horrible as well. Unless they have a massive turnaround with this new DC, Hurts will have to stay in a be forced to put up big numbers in shootouts because OU won’t be able to put away teams the way Bana can regardless of if OU wants to sit him in the 4th quarter. That helped RG3 win the Heisman in 2011 over Trent.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Will Jalen or Tua Pass for More Yards in 2019?

At Oklahoma I have this feeling that Jalen will be in every game / every quarter and will probably be in 2 or more OT games where he will get the opportunity to throw for a lot of yards whereas Tua probably won't. Like last season, Tua will probably be out of the game in the middle of the 3rd Q (except for games against A&M, LSU or Auburn). I think Jalen has an excellent chance to put up more yards than Tua. Thoughts?

Btw, this is not a question of talent but rather of opportunity.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.