Question: Fall Camp: Which new players will make an impact?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Normally, in the recent years, I would focus more on Offense and see who would likely to contribute and etc. But this year, I'm more focused on 3 areas for the fall camp:

RB- I'm curious to see who will back up Najee this year. Will we use 2-RBs or 3-RBs? Where will Townsend fits in on Offense. Dude is very talented.

LBs- Who will play along Moses and who will back up the key LBs? Can they fix the communication issues that they had last year? Will we see a rotation at LB? MCMillian and Lee splitting part time at LB next to Moses?

CBs and DB- I think we will see some moves there in fall camp.... I'm curious to see who will be the top key players back there.
I can't imagine Brian Robinson will not be 1a or 2 in the rb rotation? IMO, he was probably good enough to start at 90% of schools last year.

I keep hearing John Metchie being mentioned. If he can make some noise at that position with our deep talent, he's got to be special.

I'm also really intrigued about the #2 and #3 QB positions and how much the two true freshmen can push Mac Jones. If either of them push ahead of MJ I'd say that's a significant impact.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
We would just have a weekly thread on how bad he butchered their names.
I can see Verne reading those names and then thanking God for retirement. He did a good job at The Masters with that Thai golfer's name, though, and Thai names are a mouthful.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can't imagine Brian Robinson will not be 1a or 2 in the rb rotation? IMO, he was probably good enough to start at 90% of schools last year.

I keep hearing John Metchie being mentioned. If he can make some noise at that position with our deep talent, he's got to be special.

I'm also really intrigued about the #2 and #3 QB positions and how much the two true freshmen can push Mac Jones. If either of them push ahead of MJ I'd say that's a significant impact.
Here's why: Keliaan Robinson, Trey Sanders, Jerome Ford

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
All of this I'm posting below is with the caveat that we make it out of Fall Camp with no injuries:

On offense:

LG will almost definitely be a TrF.

Look for a youth movement at RB as the season progresses.

Metchie would be WR1 on any other team in the country. But we have 4 other WR1s in front of him. He'll still see a lot of reps though. He catches any and everything within his zip code.

On defense:

The DL is where we'll see the biggest impact. For certain, you'll see a ton of youth along the defensive front providing depth. As many as 4 guys will see significant snaps. It will be similar to the 15-16 depth. The two biggest names in the recruiting cycle probably won't be among them though (different players adjust from HS to this level of college at different paces).

Short term, experience is the answer inside next to Moses. But don't be surprised if youth wins out because of higher upside.

On the back end, we're just about set, but don't be shocked if you see Turnage stealing reps. I've heard from multiple sources (I hate using that phrase. Makes me feel gross and creepy. Please forgive me) that he's too good to keep off the field.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
All of this I'm posting below is with the caveat that we make it out of Fall Camp with no injuries:

On offense:

Metchie would be WR1 on any other team in the country. But we have 4 other WR1s in front of him. He'll still see a lot of reps though. He catches any and everything within his zip code.

On defense:

The DL is where we'll see the biggest impact. For certain, you'll see a ton of youth along the defensive front providing depth. As many as 4 guys will see significant snaps. It will be similar to the 15-16 depth. The two biggest names in the recruiting cycle probably won't be among them though (different players adjust from HS to this level of college at different paces).

Short term, experience is the answer inside next to Moses. But don't be surprised if youth wins out because of higher upside.

On the back end, we're just about set, but don't be shocked if you see Turnage stealing reps. I've heard from multiple sources (I hate using that phrase. Makes me feel gross and creepy. Please forgive me) that he's too good to keep off the field.
Can't wait to see Metchie then. Sounds like the next "one" in a string of sticky handed elite receivers.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Interesting. Meaning both the TF or one in particular?

He might get more opportunities than some anticipate. It seems unlikely given the size of our top 4 WRs that all of them will make it through the entire season without missing games.

This makes me feel even better about our secondary

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just one more day to wait until we start getting some answers!!! Can't wait to read the practice reports and see the media viewing videos!!!

It's happening!!!:BigA:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Mack, I had someone tell me a few weeks back the same thing about Brandon Turnage. You can’t out work the kid and he is as solid a person you’ll find in terms of character. He was one of the first to commit in this class. And he never wavered.

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
Can't wait to see Metchie then. Sounds like the next "one" in a string of sticky handed elite receivers.
god bless em but we still have 4 'ones' on campus now, would love to see metchie but is there a possibility he redshirts? we are loaded at WR.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Has anyone heard how Jalyn Armour-Davis is doing in terms of his recovery? I know this time last year the staff was very high in him prior to suffering a knee injury in early September.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Has anyone heard how Jalyn Armour-Davis is doing in terms of his recovery? I know this time last year the staff was very high in him prior to suffering a knee injury in early September.
IIRC, he was with the 2's at CB in the spring game and was wearing a black, non-contact jersey. I would think he will be a full go for camp but have not heard anything definitively. If healthy he will be a contributor this year and think he could be a very good one in the year's to come.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

On offense:

On defense:

Could be, but maybe not, depending on what Landon Dickerson is able to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.