The Days of Their Vols (The 2019 Vol meltdown thread)

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
from that article said:
Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer has earned the reputation as a relentless backstabber.
Can someone advise on a detailed synopsis of this, either a book or long form article, that provides more in depth explanations beyond simply "Fullmer is a backstabber"?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Can someone advise on a detailed synopsis of this, either a book or long form article, that provides more in depth explanations beyond simply "Fullmer is a backstabber"?
I'm too lazy to search for a link right now, but be advised, the entire story is harder to follow than five seasons of Turn: Washington's Spies.

In fact, it was difficult to keep the whole story straight as it was unfolding. And as of now, most of us are happy to have forgotten most of it.

But since you asked a sincere question, I'll give you a brief synopsis. Others can fill in the (many) details I've left out.

Back in the early 2000's, we had a dirty booster in Memphis named Logan Young. Tennessee had a dirty booster, also in Memphis, named Roy Adams who, by the way, was a flagrant homosexual. These two were former friends and both were dirty, with Adams openly bragging on the old Gridscape (Vols) board about paying players. Long story short, Logan Young allegedly paid a fat, slow defensive lineman $200k to sign with Alabama.

On the day our punishment was announced by the NCAA, Roy Adams went on Gridscape and posted EXACTLY what our punishment was going to be and he got every single detail correct.

After we got burned by the NCAA, it came out later that Phillip Fulmer had been "secret witness #2" against us with the NCAA. He was the Viles' head coach at the time. Secret witness #1 was a disgruntled recruiting analyst.

Fulmer was reported as telling at least one recruit, "Alabama will be out of business in a few years."

There were rumors for months that Tee Martin, the former UT quarterback on their NC team, was being paid by a UT booster down in Mobile, Alabama named Diane Sanford. This woman had attended UT along with everyone else in her family and had orange crap all over her office. Once the wire receipts proving that Tee was sent money were published in a newspaper, what happened to UT? NOTHING. Why? Because the NCAA declared Diane Sanford as "not a booster." Altogether, Tee received about $4500.00 if I remember correctly.

Previously, we had a player who bought an old beater Jeep Cherokee from a tote-the-note lot in Tuscaloosa. That player transferred to Florida, failed to make his payments, and the Cherokee was repossessed. We got burned over that because an Alabama coach or assistant (I forget which) had "recommended" that car lot to him, even though zero money was exchanged.

So in short, UT was getting away with murder while Alabama was getting a deep probe by the NCAA. The SEC commissioner, Roy Kramer, was definitely not our friend.

What I just posted is approximately 0.0125% of the entire story, but to be honest, I'm thankful to have forgotten most of it.

But rest assured that the Bama Nation will never forget what Phillip Fulmer tried to do to us.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Most UT fans I know have just given up...they really don't care any more. Depression usually factors in a feeling of helplessness...I care about them, but couldn't be happier for the UT athletic administration and Pillsbury.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Backstabber could be talking about 2 different instances.

1) Is the Albert Means situation and 2) Is how Fulmer got Johnny Majors fired and assumed the role of HC at Tennessee.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, it all started about a million billion years ago on planet Earth. After the earth cooled and the dinosaurs died from getting too fat, they turned into oil. All except one particularly unattractive blob in Franklin County, TN. Over billions of years he evolved into the epitome of all things evil. His Daddy wanted to name him Lucifer, but his Mother settled on Phillip.

Phillip wasn't a very good player so - like most guys who weren't very good players and who have taken enough hits on the noggin to ruin their ability to think logically - Phil went into coaching. He wound up spending over a decade coaching under Johnny Majors, who was hired as Vols coach only because Davy Crockett was six feet under.

In 1992 - following several successful years (esp 1989-91) - Majors had a heart problem and needed some surgery right before the season. Fulmer, who was now letting out that he was being sought by other teams, also had a heart problem: they couldn't find it. Fulmer took over while Majors sat out with heart surgery, and the Vols got off to a good start. Toothless U starts 3-0 and despite the fact Majors (supposedly) isn't due back until later in the year, he shows up at work.

Then the Vols lost a stunning upset to Arkansas......stunning because Arkansas had fired their head coach for losing to I-AA Citadel. Supposedly, Doug Dickey reneged on the contract he'd promised Majors before the season started. Fulmer then informed Dickey that he had head coaching offers at Arky and SCAR in his hip pocket. The amazing thing regarding SCAR is that the Gamecocks did NOT fire Sparky Woods until after the 1993 season - so maybe it was their way of being covert or maybe Phil was just spinning a yarn. The fear in Knox-Vegas was that Phil would leave and take the staff with him, an internal coup. Dickey then decides to name Majors AD for 1993 and hire Fulmer as the new head coach. Majors - basically at gunpoint - reads a statement prior to the Memphis game that he OBVIOUSLY did not believe or author. Later, Majors's supporters point out 26 phone calls from Fulmer to UT Trustee Bill Johnson......a guy who was the best man at Majors's wedding. Majors basically did his version of Johnny Paycheck on the AD thing.

Fulmer was denying reports that he had orchestrated the whole thing ON THE DAY HE WAS HIRED. Meanwhile, Majors memorably said this:

"I want to thank the athletic department staff, the UT faculty and school officials who've been so helpful. And, of course, I want to thank all my assistants, the loyal ones."

And then there's the time when Fulmer saw the handwriting on the wall. He's sitting there knowing, "If Alabama ever gets the hell off probation, my fat behind is going to be hoisted from a petard on the side of Neyland Stadium." So he had to come up with something - ANYTHING - to get rid of his problem a few hours south. But like Tommy DeSimone in "Goodfellas," Fulmer apparently whacked his own Billy Batts (Logan Young) and wound up basically blowing his own head off.

You can click this link and go down and see the ACTUAL FAXES from Fulmer to Satan's right-hand man, Darth Kramer.

https://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=crimson

The head football coach of one SEC school........is sending faxes to the commissioner of the conference.....addressing that commissioner as "coach".......has a list of "they're cheating"........cries about wanting a "level playing field" (while he's trying to get the other school in trouble)....and the SEC office never warns Alabama at all, "Hey, we've got some reports about this particular individual."

Fulmer eventually had to not show up in Alabama to dodge subpoenas - which he first denied and then admitted he got.

And Tennessee has been losing since he was coaching there.

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
.... be advised, the entire story is harder to follow than five seasons of Turn: Washington's Spies.
That's terrific. I deeply understand the analogy.

I was hoping there was a book or something similar to John Bacon's Michigan book on Rich Rodriguez, et al.

These stories deserve more than just "Fullmer is a creep and backstabbed Currie". The details get fascinating.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
If Tennessee actually thought "Mullen didn't win enough," they're obviously not aware of how insanely difficult that is to do in Stark-Vegas.

Mullen had SEC game head coaching experience; Pruitt did not. Now, I don't think it mattered because if you're Mullen and you have a choice between Florida and Tennessee, it's like a choice between dating Kate Upton or Ellen DeGeneres - the decision is already made for you.
Ellen would be much more amusing. As are the current edition of the Viles. Sooo . . .
You're right!

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
That's terrific. I deeply understand the analogy.

I was hoping there was a book or something similar to John Bacon's Michigan book on Rich Rodriguez, et al.

These stories deserve more than just "Fullmer is a creep and backstabbed Currie". The details get fascinating.
Most people are afraid to write such a book for libel reasons.

But one woman did and it was called "Guarding the Plantation."

https://www.espn.com/ncaa/s/2003/1006/1632218.html

I don't know if it ever got published.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
As I live in Orangeland, it is not uncommon on the eve of the football season to see numerous cars adorned with flags on them with the big (ugly) orange T on them. Now, we are nearly into October I haven't seen a one for quite a while. Also, I used to see a bunch of Tennessee vanity plates (mostly women's basketball) but they have even gone the way of the Dodo as Tennessee fans don't think the team are worth the extra $25.
The same thing has happened in Memphis. They just aren’t visible anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
“Fulmer eventually had to not show up in Alabama to dodge subpoenas - which he first denied and then admitted he got.”

Did he not also avoid SEC media days instead paying a substantial fine claiming that he “feared for his life” if he had to show up in Birmingham?

So you can throw coward on the list of Pumpkin Head’s �� superlatives as well...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Tennessee has been a dumpster fire for so long, it’s virtually impossible for them to “melt down” at this point. They’ve been an endless sea of bubbling velveeta for over a decade now. Swirling cheesy goodness.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
“Fulmer eventually had to not show up in Alabama to dodge subpoenas - which he first denied and then admitted he got.”

Did he not also avoid SEC media days instead paying a substantial fine claiming that he “feared for his life” if he had to show up in Birmingham?

So you can throw coward on the list of Pumpkin Head’s �� superlatives as well...
Yep.

If you gave Phil an enema, nothing would be left.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Decade of Dominance???

When was this?

From 1995-2004??

They won 5 divisional titles (not too bad except you have to remember how godawful the East was back then)
2 SEC titles (a reminder they still lost to Spurrier the first year they won the SEC)
1 national championship (and yes, they deserved it and were the best team in the country that year)

101-25 overall
65-16 in the SEC

Make no mistake, those are not BAD numbers by any stretch of the imagination.

But on the other hand.....

Sure, they were 4-6 against Florida (in that decade).....but two of those wins were against Ron Zook and even one of those they got handed the game by the officials (2004).

5-5 in bowl games

Record against FBS teams with 9 or more wins: 21-17 (they started 15-4, so we're talking more like a "HALF DECADE" of very good
Loss to Memphis in 1996 with NFL Hall of Famer Peyton Manning at quarterback

Hell, not even Nebraska, who won 3 national titles in four years, had a "decade of dominance", and I seem to recall Nebraska pancaking Tennessee a few times during this same time frame.

The Vols were "about as good as we could possibly expect" during this time frame.

They also benefited from the fact they had a crippled Alabama, a situation they may not have started but they were the primary reason we stayed down on the ground for so long.
Wow Ron Zook the man who set the bar on bad.
How come Auburn didn't make him an offer?

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
As I live in Orangeland, it is not uncommon on the eve of the football season to see numerous cars adorned with flags on them with the big (ugly) orange T on them. Now, we are nearly into October I haven't seen a one for quite a while. Also, I used to see a bunch of Tennessee vanity plates (mostly women's basketball) but they have even gone the way of the Dodo as Tennessee fans don't think the team are worth the extra $25.
I moved from Atlanta area to Chattanooga about 3 years ago, and I would completely agree with this. I never see any flags or etc...maybe a window decal on occasion....

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Tennessee has been a dumpster fire for so long, it’s virtually impossible for them to “melt down” at this point. They’ve been an endless sea of bubbling velveeta for over a decade now. Swirling cheesy goodness.
So that's why they finally got around to renaming it for branding accuracy:

Volveeta

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I moved from Atlanta area to Chattanooga about 3 years ago, and I would completely agree with this. I never see any flags or etc...maybe a window decal on occasion....
Windows decals and bumper stickers aren't really the best "dipstick" for the mood of the fans, since they tend to be left alone once they're on there.

The window flags are where the action is.

Right now it's night and day in contrast to the late 90's, the "bad old days" as I like to call them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.